Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

engine coolant type

bonjo

My RAV 4.2 was factory filled with longlife coolant which looked pinkish red.

This was changed after the recommended 10 years but a toyota dealer in 2016 but told subsequent change interval is 5 years.

So I recently had the change done again by a different dealer who told me the dealer put the wrong type of coolant. They had used pink instead of read.

So now the car has the correct (??) red coolant (also 5 year change interval).

I am confused on this and don't know which dealer to believe and if any damage has been caused?

Anyone knows about this?

From memory it’s all in the manual, 10 years initially, then every 5. In terms of damage, Toyota dealers will use Toyota branded coolant, they can’t and won’t use anything else, it’s £39.10 according to my last invoice (don’t ask why I sourced it from Toyota, it wasn’t my first choice). It’s been pink for as long as I can remember (at least 2003 onwards). With coolant if you mix different types you get sludge and it’s obvious in the expansion tank, you wouldn’t need to look very hard to see it.

the acutal change was decent value @ £75 considering it was a dealer service.

The confusion for me (& clearly their dealer!) is the difference between the pink & red and why the change:confused1:

Red coolant is long life and pink is Super Long Life - different formulations. Difference essentially is the service interval - for red it is 30,000 miles/3 years, and for pink the initial change from when the car is new is 10 years/100,000 miles, and after the first change 5 years/50,000 miles.

Just looked up the spec on my RAV and it says “super long life coolant” so must be the pink version. Good to know.

56 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Just looked up the spec on my RAV and it says “super long life coolant” so must be the pink version. Good to know.

New Toyotas since at least 2006 (ie the 2006 Corolla I had from new) have had the Super Long Life (pink coolant). 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links