Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sat Nav System

Hubsy

Rav4 Hybrid 4x4 70 plate.

Just returned from touring holiday, Devon, Cornwall & Dorset.

Sat Nav took me down country lanes, wingmirrors touching branches on both side.

Then another day, again narrow lanes, ended up in farmyard just as the cows came from milking shed..

Final straw, another narrow lane, crossroads on a bend, 'Turn left' 'Turn right' ' do a U turn', all together.. 10 yds covered. After that the map direction arrow jumping left and right of the marked lane. Eventually found  my way to the A30, map showed me in the middle of a field nowhere near a road.

Switched on TOMTOM, knew exactly where I was and where I wanted to go.

New map 2021 v1, suspect firmware or hardware fault.

In garage for first service next week, expect to get fobbed off with some excuse.

Any one had similar experiences?

Do you mean the 3 choices that pop up on the screen, then disappear before I have a chance to read them?

I have this too....  love it when it says "take a half left"....    wondering if its wanting me to take a half whiskey due to its navigation skills!

• Haha 1

To some extent but you can set this up as a default but also select to use traffic patterns (historical), show the route alternatives on the map before you proceed and things to avoid, toll roads etc. I’d hope that displaying alternatives would give you a better idea of where you might be going.  I’ve also found that selecting playing with the route type, what you may be offered, can impact on the type of roads you’ll routed down.

I like my navigation instruction to be clear and concise, the half’s and please instructions are not sometimes helpful. The first time we heard these we laughed out loud. I’d prefer it to say bear right or follow the road.

31 minutes ago, ernieb said:

I like my navigation instruction to be clear and concise, the half’s and please instructions are not sometimes helpful. The first time we heard these we laughed out loud. I’d prefer it to say bear right or follow the road.

reminds me of the billy Connelly tom tom voice I once had "at the end of the road bear left, badger right".   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PAISLEY1903 said:

reminds me of the billy Connelly tom tom voice I once had "at the end of the road bear left, badger right".   

Or John Cleese….

To reiterate the tip to prolong the disappearing trip choices :

Tap the map as soon as the routes appear.  This gives you more time. I haven't checked if you give a second tap after a pause. 

Complain to Toyota, there is no logical reason for that minimal delay. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ernieb said:

Or John Cleese….

Yes, loved that - especially "you have reached your destination but I'm not going to carry your bags!"

• Haha 2

This is one of the reasons I've updated to Android Auto and now never use the in built Satnav 

• Like 1

+1, Because Android Auto is updated by the users as they drive it’s very much up to the moment, the verbal road problems and the clear pulsing highlight around the cars position as you approach a speed camera make so much more sense than the built in Sat Nav which is so busy and cluttered. 

I head down to just south of Manchester next week for a 4+ hour drive on Tuesday. Thinking of using the Toyota sat nav v android auto.  Farewell world.  I may return one day in the future via a "half left" here and a "u turn" there, travelling via Forrests from paisley to Manchester routing where going up to Aberdeen and back down may possibly be an option. If I make it... I shall let you all know.

• Haha 1

On 9/21/2021 at 4:06 PM, Hubsy said:

Do you mean the 3 choices that pop up on the screen, then disappear before I have a chance to read them?

On 9/21/2021 at 5:41 PM, Roy124 said:

To reiterate the tip to prolong the disappearing trip choices :

Tap the map as soon as the routes appear.  This gives you more time. I haven't checked if you give a second tap after a pause. 

Complain to Toyota, there is no logical reason for that minimal delay. 

I don't have a fix for the short display time of the route options however you can get back to them once on the map screen by selecting the 3 dots on the LH side then follow guide as per page 92 of attached:

OM42D43E.pdf

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PAISLEY1903 said:

I head down to just south of Manchester next week for a 4+ hour drive on Tuesday. Thinking of using the Toyota sat nav v android auto.  Farewell world.  I may return one day in the future via a "half left" here and a "u turn" there, travelling via Forrests from paisley to Manchester routing where going up to Aberdeen and back down may possibly be an option. If I make it... I shall let you all know.

That’s exactly what we a did when we came away used the internal Navigation on a route we’d repeatedly used AA.  Big thumbs down for the internal but I’ll be interested to see how you see the comparison.

I get the three choices but they don't disappear unless I pick one or start driving.

Was heading down to Leatherhead last week using Google Maps; made a stop at St Ives, Cambs. Decided to try the built in SatNav for the rest of the journey. After 15 mins or so, I was a bit concerned I wasn't seeing signs for the M11; I stopped and checked the route, it was taking me across the north of London and down through Uxbridge, this was the fastest route apparently! I went back to google maps and that took me to the M11, M25 as expected (with a quicker ETD). Checked all the car map settings later and couldn’t find any reason for its route, I thought maybe the avoid tolls option was selected, but it wasn't.

We were travelling in my C-HR through Bodmin towards Wadebridge when a police car suddenly blocked our route, closing the road off at a roundabout. Set the internal satnav to find an alternative route and it kept trying to take us down the closed road. After driving around Bodmin for what seemed to be ages tried using Google maps which happily plots us a route - bringing us out at the same closed road. Both rely on traffic data which is only as good as what is provided. Ended up using my sister's local knowledge to find another, longer, route which then ended up with us using enough petrol so that we didn't have enough to get us home to Portsmouth at the end of our weekend away, but that's a different story...... 

I have generally found the Toyota built-in sat nav "fit for purpose" - that is across three RAVs since 2009. We tend to use 'common sense' when it tries to take us down unsuitable roads; one can always read the road signs as well - they are still there; and over the past few years we have had the 'navigator' use Google maps as a backup / replacement if we begin to doubt the sanity of what is being suggested (but this does rely on having a 'navigator').

The one thing that irritates a bit is the the navigation is 'lazy' and tries simply to get you back to the route that it has already calculated rather than calculate a new route from where you are now. If you find a road 'closed' and tack off at a tangent you really don't want to be brought back to the closure!

A long time ago, using a TomTom, I came across a road closed - pressed the button to say that the route was blocked for the next three miles and it neatly plotted me a route that avoided the hold-up. That was what I wanted then and could do with now as well ... 

• Like 1

Early days with a Garmin we visited country tracks in Buckinghamshire that we would have not walked down.  Certainly the shortest route rather than the quickest.

1 hour ago, philip42h said:

I have generally found the Toyota built-in sat nav "fit for purpose" - that is across three RAVs since 2009. We tend to use 'common sense' when it tries to take us down unsuitable roads; one can always read the road signs as well - they are still there; and over the past few years we have had the 'navigator' use Google maps as a backup / replacement if we begin to doubt the sanity of what is being suggested (but this does rely on having a 'navigator').

The one thing that irritates a bit is the the navigation is 'lazy' and tries simply to get you back to the route that it has already calculated rather than calculate a new route from where you are now. If you find a road 'closed' and tack off at a tangent you really don't want to be brought back to the closure!

A long time ago, using a TomTom, I came across a road closed - pressed the button to say that the route was blocked for the next three miles and it neatly plotted me a route that avoided the hold-up. That was what I wanted then and could do with now as well ... 

I found the same with a TomTom, it was easy to tell it that a road was blocked. I do tend to use the Toyota Sat nav as it is, as you say, mostly "fit for purpose".

Well I drove back from hotel outside of Manchester and the toyota satnav never missed a beat. 

Something I did the night before, no idea if it helped but I turned off traffic and dynamic reroute. 

I put in my home destination, selected fastest and went into turn by turn, fired up google maps on phone and compared them both and they were exact. Following day jumped in car and was delighted with it. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links