Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Service recommendations

Ralph H

My 2019 hybrid is in for its second service today I have a service contract but they are being quite insistent that I need a antibacterial aircon flush and a Toyota recommended fuel treatment for an extra £40. I have refused these extras as by my thinking if it’s not on the official service it’s not needed. The car has done 16000 miles the aircon is never turned off and the car is running without any problems. Do you think I’ve made the right decision or should I have had it done?

• Like 1

Personal choice really. If you don't want either or both that's fine. Using good quality fuel should avoid the need for fuel treatment, or, if you want, you can use one of the readily available treatments that you add to your tank, etc.

• Like 1

Exactly, no need any of the extras on two years old car, they just trying to make some money of you. Fuel treatment is just a fuel additive added to the tank and a bottle of these only cost £10 or less. For the air con treatment can cause more issues than anything else, good job you refuse those. 👍

• Like 1

I would agree with the above. This kind of additional work is one very easy way to make additional and I imagine quite significant profits given that the materials will cost little and that virtually no time is involved in using them. 

• Like 1

Hi Ralph, it’s called up selling. Usually good profit for the dealer if you bite. Not necessary purchases in my opinion.

• Like 1

Fuel treatment on a 2 year old car?  Do me a favour.  🤣

• Like 1

Some car manufacturers used to have a warning in the manual that using any additive could invalidate the warranty.

• Like 1

Have never used /taken up the fuel flush - I always use V-Power and never had issues. As above, I think if you use quality fuel, you dont really need it.

The aircon cabin filter is worth changing, and you can buy from the official Toyota eBay store - its a real easy thing to change. There are "pattern" ones that I have seen but not tried  which can have activated carbon which might be worth it if you drive in particular bad air quality, but not necessary.

The aircon clean is usually just an aircon "bomb" - an anti-bacterial aerosol which is set off while the aircon is running at max cooling (min temp) on recirculation mode. I buy Bilt Hamber aircon bombs which I've used for last 6 years and they do a good job (follow the instructions!!). Usually around £10 and do the same thing. Leaves a nice citrus smell and gets rid of the that damp/metallic smell you get after air con has been used for a bit. If they were offering regas/top up in the price its worth doing every couple of years (though that said I haven't bothered on last two Auris and again had no issues - use the aircon regularly, even in winter keeps it in good condition...not sure if Toyota's aircon suffers issues with seals if not used for a long time).

• Like 1

As regards the Aircon flush, I read somewhere maybe on here , that running your Aircon on full heat for 10 mins will sort out any bacteria in the system.

As regards main dealers , not Toyota but mitsubishi,a few years ago I had a colt 2009 and enquiring about a service at the "service desk" was quoted around £600 for a service including £400+ for a new petrol gauge sender unit that they tried to tell me was part of a service on a 44000 mile car.

Maybe I should remove the forehead tattoo that reads gullible and stupid.

I understand that owners of newer cars are concerned about services re warranty etc , but what a load of old tosh sometimes comes out of the mouths of main dealers staff to gouge a bit more money from their customers.

• Like 2

Thank you all for your reply’s after reading them I think I’ve done the right thing. When you’re confronted by a service advisor brandishing a checklist with red highlighted items requiring “immediate attention” it just puts a slight doubt in your mind. But then again I suppose that’s what it’s designed to do 

• Like 2

It’s like them trying to sell gap insurance and paint protection insurances. They make money out of add-ons.

During a major service, they should also check A/C filter and clean or replace as part of schedule. I’ve also never added anything to fuel in my lifetime. New cars just do not need it - if you use decent fuel.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links