Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

RAV4 PHEV Charging Point Install

nlee

Hi,

Contacted Toyota GB and got this reply, hopefully the PHEV will soon be on the OZEV list.

Thank you for your email and interest in the new RAV4 Plug-In & its eligibility for the Government Grant. 

I have been in touch with our Product Marketing team and they have advised that unfortunately the RAV4 Plug-In is currently not on the list of vehicles eligible for the Electric Home Charge Scheme.

An application was submitted to the Electric Home Charge Scheme through the DVLA a number of months ago and we are currently awaiting news on this, we should hopefully have an update from the DVLA on this soon.

I'm sorry for any disappointment that this may cause but thank you for contacting Toyota GB.

• Like 1

I got pretty much the same response. It looks like previous updates to the eligible vehicle list happen monthly around the 21-23rd of the month, with the occasional one in between. The last update was 21st of Sept so I'll be checking later this week with fingers crossed.

I’d be a bit wary of installing a 7.4Kw charger unless you need the faster turn around than the standard 240v.  If and when you move to a full EV you might need to consider buying a different more powerful charger. Just my take on it…… 

Totally get where you are coming from Ernie. The turnaround isn't that important to me, it's just the EV tariff cheap window is only 4 hours from 00:30 to 04:30 so to be able to get a full charge for 60p rather than £3 or 1p/mile v's 6.5p/mile.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, nlee said:

Totally get where you are coming from Ernie. The turnaround isn't that important to me, it's just the EV tariff cheap window is only 4 hours from 00:30 to 04:30 so to be able to get a full charge for 60p rather than £3 or 1p/mile v's 6.5p/mile.

Yes, but ... if you get a cheap off peak EV tariff, what does that do to your peak tariff rate? It's quite possible that by saving pennies in charging the RAV you'll wind-up paying many more pounds elsewhere. When I looked at it for a real EV, rather than a little PHEV, there didn't appear to be any saving unless I went for a fixed, all day, EV tariff. We didn't go ahead and all the tariffs are 'different' so things may wellhave changed ... 😉 

I get a bit obsessive with these things and have a multitude of spreadsheets to compare.

Bizarrely, both EV tariffs I've been looking at have a slight cheaper day rate and standing charge than the standard tariffs which seem counterintuitive and generally makes it a no brainer.

The only issue at the moment is I'm struggling with my current supplier because I have a 1st gen smart meter and they say they can't read it, even though they do! If they responded to calls, emails, etc. it could be sorted but the service is terrible at the moment. If I change supplier, the day rate will be slightly higher than it is now but the standing charge a bit less. The gas is a bit more expensive too. However, bottom line it still works out about £12 per month cheaper than the current tariff with charging the PHEV.

The trouble with all these calculations right now is the market is volatile. Don’t get me started on the poor customer relations that some organisations have it can be a nightmare waiting in a call queue or being bounced around a switch board, GRrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

• Like 2

So I got a 7.4kW installed at less than mates rates. Good fortune really.  At that price it was worth it and since I'd need to install an external power socket any way.

Quick charge turnaround is handy if you forget or have several longish trips in a day totalling a lot over say 40 to 50 miles. Only been the case on a few rare occasions for me.

Preconditioning using the wall box power mid winter to defrost and warm things up without using the traction Battery may be an advantage but I assume you can do this with a granny charger too?

Need to find a decent energy tariff. Paying way too much.

• Like 1

240v will precondition the cabin.  I was lucky with my recent tariff as my 1 year fixed was coming to an end in November. I got an eMail from them a month ago saying that I could swap to a new fixed (1 year again) for a new rate obviously higher than the previous one.  I checked around and decided it was not worth changing supplier so went with the new offer. A week later they stoped all fixed rate deals and we all know what hit the fan in term of gas supply. I feel that was a lucky break.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nick72 said:

So I got a 7.4kW installed at less than mates rates. Good fortune really.  At that price it was worth it and since I'd need to install an external power socket any way.

Quick charge turnaround is handy if you forget or have several longish trips in a day totalling a lot over say 40 to 50 miles. Only been the case on a few rare occasions for me.

Preconditioning using the wall box power mid winter to defrost and warm things up without using the traction battery may be an advantage but I assume you can do this with a granny charger too?

Need to find a decent energy tariff. Paying way too much.

Good luck with that - let us know if you find a good deal 🙂.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lawnmowerman said:

Good luck with that - let us know if you find a good deal 🙂.

Didnt cost me much more than 350 quid from memory. Kit and install.

11 hours ago, ernieb said:

240v will precondition the cabin.  I was lucky with my recent tariff as my 1 year fixed was coming to an end in November. I got an eMail from them a month ago saying that I could swap to a new fixed (1 year again) for a new rate obviously higher than the previous one.  I checked around and decided it was not worth changing supplier so went with the new offer. A week later they stoped all fixed rate deals and we all know what hit the fan in term of gas supply. I feel that was a lucky break.

That was great timing!

7 hours ago, Nick72 said:

That was great timing!

Agreed, very lucky indeed, I just wonder what will happen next year?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ernieb said:

Agreed, very lucky indeed, I just wonder what will happen next year?

God knows. The Russians have probably turned the gas off. Invest in electric heaters and solar panels.

31 minutes ago, Nick72 said:

God knows. The Russians have probably turned the gas off. Invest in electric heaters and solar panels.

Trouble is we still use a lot of gas to produce electricity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

Trouble is we still use a lot of gas to produce electricity.

True but at least we'll have more than 50pc capacity for the electric versus zero for gas 😉

• 2 weeks later...

I've occasionally been dropping in on the OZEV pages of GOV.UK site to see if the eligible vehicle list has been updated to include the RAV4 PHEV yet so the grants for a home charger can be claimed. Especially as Toyota claim to have applied to have it added months ago.

On average, since the beginning of 2020, the list has been updated every 17 days. The last update is now 40 days ago and is the longest ever period between updates.

What do they say about a watched pot never boiling!

me too, have  a feeling it will not go on the list as the grant is finishing on 31st March 2022 for homeowners, but is increased for landlords, so if you rent your landlord can claim and owners of large managed buildings can claim but only for multiple installs.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 4:32 PM, ernieb said:

I’ve been looking since February and also surprised that the Toyota PHEV is still not listed.  Not sure who is responsible maybe Toyota have not submitted it for approval?  I’m happy using a Masterplug 240v mains external box as it easily chargers the car overnight.

Couldn't be @rsed waiting for that mythical Unicorn (common name 'Sparky') to fit an outlet so fitted this one myself. Decent enough piece of kit (although I struggle to close the catch on the cover - Toyota cable a bit chunky).

Interested in the Project EV offering if I ever do find that Unicorn. Reason for interest is that my electricity is Economy 10. 10 hours at reduced rates as follows: 4:30 - 7:30 am, 1:30 - 4:30 pm and 8:30pm - 00:30 am).

It would be handy to charge within one of the windows and give a quick turn-around.

I bought a 10 mtr Masterplug ‘granny’ cable from Screwfix, it allows for the closure of the cover with no real issue, firm but not like the Toyota cable. 

38 minutes ago, ernieb said:

I bought a 10 mtr Masterplug ‘granny’ cable from Screwfix, it allows for the closure of the cover with no real issue, firm but not like the Toyota cable. 

Ouch - £170.

I think I will make some 'adjustments' to improve the closure of the cover as the supplied length of the Toyota cable is fine.

53 minutes ago, Lawnmowerman said:

Ouch - £170.

I think I will make some 'adjustments' to improve the closure of the cover as the supplied length of the Toyota cable is fine.

Yes I know, however, when I bought mine it was nothing like that price it’s shot up in the last 6 months.  To be honest that’s still a decent price if you look at other manufacturers, if they have anything in stock.

3 hours ago, ernieb said:

Yes I know, however, when I bought mine it was nothing like that price it’s shot up in the last 6 months.  To be honest that’s still a decent price if you look at other manufacturers, if they have anything in stock.

Thanks for the info. Ernie. 👍

On 11/6/2021 at 5:31 PM, ernieb said:

Cable entry now 'adjusted' - Swiss Army knife modification 😆.

Now snug but water-tight.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links