Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Loud clunk when reversing and braking

Carrieann70

My car was new June 2021.  Had its first motorway run this weekend, Sunday 10th October, only done 500 miles.  On reversing to park there was a very loud clunking noise and a whirring sound.  Anyone experienced this with their Corolla.  

Hi, 

what quantity of fuel you had in your tank when this happened? If the tank is full and the car starts and stops sharply can make the fuel bumping into fuel tank walls., his is one possible cause, and the second is from gear change, happens usually when the brake pedal was not properly depressed and moving the shifter while the car still in slow motion or the car had tried to move immediately after gear selection.  The whirring sound likely to be from the electronic brake booster., you may hear this sound also when opening the drivers door to enter the car. Things like that are normal for Toyota hybrids. If there are no warning lights on dashboard then there is nothing to worry. Parking and doing manoeuvres on slope roads can also cause a clunk from the transmission., to avoid that in future best to make sure that the car is in complete stop and you have depressed the brake pedal firmly before changing gears. 👍
Regards 

Sounds like the ABS system cutting in. Were you parking on a loose surface like dirt or gravel?

It was a parking space on a normal street, however there was some old muck in that space so I will try again where the road is cleaner.  Will pop out tomorrow and give it a go. 

How close were you to another vehicle...or even a weed? Yes, seriously - the automatic braking could be kicking in and triggered by a weed. First day I got mine I reversed into a space and it activated...scared the crap out of me as the noise sounds like you've hit something, but I was 2+ feet off the curb. Same with Missus' Yaris - she drove into a space in a supermarket and same thing but she was way off the curb/wall.

Yes there could have been a weed as there is a curb and I don't think it was caused by vehicle next to me as it was in a disabled parking space, loads of space either side also I have parked other side of this vehicle and never happened.  Thanks will check this out tomorrow as I will be near that area.

17 hours ago, trashman1965 said:

How close were you to another vehicle...or even a weed? Yes, seriously - the automatic braking could be kicking in and triggered by a weed. First day I got mine I reversed into a space and it activated...scared the crap out of me as the noise sounds like you've hit something, but I was 2+ feet off the curb. Same with Missus' Yaris - she drove into a space in a supermarket and same thing but she was way off the curb/wall.

I reversed into a space, watching the camera and listening to the beeps, and was about a foot away from the wall when it did the auto brake on me, and at first I thought I must have 'dozed off' and hit the wall with my tow bar because of the loud noise and jolt.  Got out to look and was still a distance away from the wall.  As with Ian's experience, weeds appeared to be the culprit.

Thanks, hoping to take car out today and will try parking in a different space where I have parked previously and no problem.  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links