Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Suggestions for replacement Rear Callipers for 2010 Avensis Tourer/Estate 1.8 Valvematic Manual transmission

paulous1964

I have a 2010 Avensis Tourer/Estate 1.8 Valvematic Manual transmission.

Can anyone recommend a supplier or brand of rear brake callipers that they know to be good that they have used for a Avensis Mark3 Tourer?

Even better perhaps recommend an independent Toyota garage that knows what they are doing with brakes(preferably in the North West England but getting to the point of anywhere).

I have had problems with the electronic parking brake (EPB) for a few years since a well known national fast fit tyre/brake company replaced the rear callipers, the EPB has never functioned properly after.

I am going to replace the rear callipers again and recheck all.

Here's the full story .....

Why didn't I get the fast fit company to fix? 
The answer is that after a day of working on the car, trying to get it to work, they said that there must be a problem with the car when I originally brought it in  to have the callipers replace. I didn't have a leg to stand on. The car was driveable and needed to use it etc. I know the OBDC wire trick was tried to calibrate and maybe their own brake diagnostics so all the settings maybe suspect.

The problem is that I cannot engage the EPB on a slope/hill without the warning lights appearing. It passes an MOT (the test is on the flat). Also when the brake pedal is pushed hard and the EPB button is pressed to engage, the warning lights come on, even on the flat. 
It might be that when engaging the EPB on a hill that because you are hard pressing the brake pedal that this is causing the warnings, I've tried testing on a hill with mixed results. I've tried all the little suggestions to calibrate in previous post for EPB problems, I going to take a punt that the replacement calliper was faulty. 
If I pump the brake pedal and push in the button for 5 seconds the foot brake is permanently hard even after EPB release which feels suspect to me.
If I cannot resolve this the car has to be sold as I need to be assured of hill starts.

I cannot say who did this but the 'stud' mountings on the underneath of the car for the EPB cable had been snapped and the cables were secure with cable ties, good enough for 2 MOT's. I have repaired this properly and renewed/replaced the studs and the cables are using the correct mountings again.

Toyota have tried the re-calibrate the EPB and this made no difference. Maybe they didn't bother because all the time they have said they are not genuine Toyota callipers, but they certainly charged for the work and took the time to inspect the car and so tried to upsell some work, including commenting on rust on a 9 year old car.

For me, I though this was going to be my last car before going electric.....

If you think you can help with my shout out for suggestions for callipers then please help.

Edited by paulous1964
Spelling.

Probably no help to you now, but I disagree that you "didn't have a leg to stand on" when the "well known national fast fit tyre/brake company" said "there must be a problem with the car when I originally brought it in". If there was a problem before they started work then they should have informed you before doing so. They did not, so it is pretty obvious there was no fault at that point. IANAL, but if this had gone to a small claims court hearing I'm sure you would have won. Although it almost certainly wouldn't have got that far, because they would have settled before it got there. Given the timescale I guess you would find it difficult to pursue now, but I thought I would mention it for anybody else who finds themselves in a similar appalling situation. Good luck with getting it sorted, it would be a shame to have to sell the car because of this.

The EPB has to be initialized with a scan tool after any work, if you use techstream the module will tell you any faults it has

TBH i don't think the issue is with the calipers but the actual Actuator and/or cables

The actuator has a superseded part number, going off the info above (PM me with a vin for confirmation)

46300-05011

This is not a cheap part

Edit. You can do a manual zero point calibration, i can find that info if required, along with the hand brake manual release

Hi Nick/Cessna,

I've been to small claims before on another matter, by the time you pay out for expert reports etc, the risk of loosing was too much in my opinion at that time. Perhaps with hindsight might of been the best route to getting it resolved but I didn't have an alternative car. 

Bob/flash22

If you could direct me to procedure for manual point calibration that will be brill. Is the manual release in the user manual where you wind back the actuator from inside the boot? The callipers have never stuck on BTW so I have never had a need to do that.

The car had the actuator replaced just before I bought the car in 2018, the old one failed due to water ingress, so perhaps the new one was the updated version.

In my mind, if I have to have a new actuator then the price of getting it fitted will be more than the car is worth so uneconomic, I rather go down the route of trying with a reliable sourced replacement caliper (or calliper, I wish I knew which way of spelling was correct). This at least should be around the 150 and hope it resolves it before letting it go.

Yet again we hear of independent garages attempting to replace rear pads,disks and caliper s and making a total mess of it. In 12 years driving an Avensis as a taxi I had heard all the excuses under the sun to cover up the total lack of expertise. Either learn to do it yourself ,which I did ,or pay a main dealer. A big tip do not use any Techstream devices or similar it is just not needed, I have successfully changed the discs caliper s and pads three times without having resort to such tools.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jimtaxi said:

Yet again we hear of independent garages attempting to replace rear pads,disks and caliper s and making a total mess of it. In 12 years driving an Avensis as a taxi I had heard all the excuses under the sun to cover up the total lack of expertise. Either learn to do it yourself ,which I did ,or pay a main dealer. A big tip do not use any Techstream devices or similar it is just not needed, I have successfully changed the discs caliper s and pads three times without having resort to such tools.

I agree and have experienced it too a lesser degree. The first is winding back the pistons so the cut outs or notches are vertical to the caliper. This aid the little nipple on the back of the pads sit within, not on the face of the caliper, which can cause a lot of problems. Second, most people won't have access to diagnostics to 'calibrate' the brakes. Plus if the diagnostics is not correct, it can delete the zero point calibrations loosing the auto release and possibly the auto engage of the EPB! I have been there, and fortunate to fix the situation myself.

If you take the EPB unit out of the equation, the rear brakes are the same as any car I have worked on, for example a Vauxhall Corsa VXR is identical to work on, but with a manual handbrake. When the pads and discs are replaced, I pump the pedal, then apply the handbrake a few times. That is all is needed.    

On 10/22/2021 at 7:17 PM, jimtaxi said:

Thanks Jim and Conrad.

In my defence, I didn't know that the callipers has ceased, until the 'garage' has disassembled and found the problem. Also, I only had the car for 6 months 3 weeks and didn't realise how sensitive the brake system was (the RAC warrantee lapsed after 6 months). I'm not someone that economises of safety and normally would have had genuine parts for brakes, but the car brakes had failed and garage offered to fix same day which I need as I was going away with car. He could have reminded me that pads shot and hearing metal to metal would likely have been a calliper issue of which he was not up to replacing.

How many lesson I've learnt now....

I agree with all that has been stated, don't let a muppet touch the brakes......

I'm still none the wiser. I will replace the callipers as that appears to be the original problem and maybe the zero point has been erased. This is not a model that has auto engage but do think there is a giro or other way of knowing it parked on a slope. The brake system needs to know how much force is needed for forward motion otherwise it will be an early release and allow the car to move backwards on a hill start.

Genuine callipers seems to be far too expensive, I'm looking at getting Brembo callipers and wonder if anyone has fitted them or even have a suggestion on what callipers to use from their experience.

I have used calipers from Brake International via an auto parts dealer. They were well presented and around £84 each.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links