Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What ever broke down on your second generation Aygo mid 2014 onwards (or C1, P 108) ?

haelewyn

No idea if anybody is going to post something here..
But it would be nice to know what things go wrong on the Aygo model 2014 - 2021.
Anything -anything at all- went wrong on your car ? Tell us how many years old your car was and how many KM / Miles it had.

Things I have heard break down on the pre 2014 generation :

- Exhaust back part (big pot) goes broken / rusted inside every 2 years. 

Any brands that are a good alternative and have a better quality exhaust for this type of Aygo ?

How about >2014 models ? Still have this problem ?

- lights stick, bad contact, breaks down often 

- clutch on manual gearbox as well as automated version (this one even more) breaks down too soon. Other, larger part installed later with a bigger diameter. 

Pedal still working with a very high bite on last models. 

No real reason to believe this makes the clutch wear out very soon but it seems the Aygo doesn't often do high mileage on a clutch, even for the newer models.

- oil consumption at higher mileage, small sump so more need to check and adjust on this engine.

- water in the interior that comes through bad seals around the third brake light above the trunk. First years problem, solved in the second series ?

- wheel bearings seem to go out sometimes... No idea if that can also be more often than usual because of city driving.

Any other thing breaking down often on the Aygo ?

The boot hinges can get squeaky, so always need a bit of lubrication applied to them. Other than that, the X shift still flashes N occasionally. No other issues found.

• Like 1

We have both a Peugeot 107 and 108, 108 has the Toyota engine, the 108 is one of early ones and the only issue we had was I noticed the rear window demister had broken elements, but fair play to the Peugeot dealer they replaced under warranty no quibble. Apart from that it been spot on in 5 years ownership. Not expecting water leaks on the 108 cos the rear end is completely different design and also front door seals been beefed up. 

Our 107 been very good, owned it for 13 years now and only issue was weeping water pump, but a known issue on early cars so changed that, ironically that also has broken rear window elements, but warranty long gone and it only the bottom 3, so when needed clears the important top 2/3rds. No water leaks so far thankfully although we should have the dodgy clutch, but ours very low mileage, so it not had a hard life, so still drives great.

One reasons we got 107 in first place was seeing all those Toyota stickers on the oily bits, so having investigated the Peugeot/Citroen/Toyota tie up, made purchase a bit more risk free, and thus when sister needed a newer car, all the triplets were contenders as long as they had Toyota running gear, purely on styling the 108 won out. Even if Peugeot /Citroen were still in the small car game on their own, doubt I would buy one as our 'Toyotas' have been so good.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, haelewyn said:

Things I have heard break down on the pre 2014 generation :

- Exhaust back part (big pot) goes broken / rusted inside every 2 years. 

Any brands that are a good alternative and have a better quality exhaust for this type of Aygo ?

How about >2014 models ? Still have this problem ?

- lights stick, bad contact, breaks down often 

- clutch on manual gearbox as well as automated version (this one even more) breaks down too soon. Other, larger part installed later with a bigger diameter. 

Pedal still working with a very high bite on last models. 

No real reason to believe this makes the clutch wear out very soon but it seems the Aygo doesn't often do high mileage on a clutch, even for the newer models.

- oil consumption at higher mileage, small sump so more need to check and adjust on this engine.

- water in the interior that comes through bad seals around the third brake light above the trunk. First years problem, solved in the second series ?

- wheel bearings seem to go out sometimes... No idea if that can also be more often than usual because of city driving.

Any other thing breaking down often on the Aygo ?

I thought the smaller diameter clutch was sorted some time prior to 2014.

Someone on this forum only a few weeks ago was running a high mileage Ago with no clutch problems. Can’t remember the actual miles, something less then 100k, but more the 70k I think. Clutch life depends on driver driving practises and type of terrain covered regularly.

• Like 1

I agree with you (how the car is driven matters a lot) but I found it in the list of the local automobile club as a disadvantage on the second series too.

So I put it in my list.

I have never broken or worn out a clutch myself and I only have the Aygo for a few weeks... So I don't know from personal experience.

I expect to do 4000 miles yearly so I would have to get back to you in 20 years to post good news 🙂

Would love to hear people who did a high mileage with the first clutch or stories from those who were less lucky.

Remember we had a customer here with an automatic who only did around 6000 miles.

15 hours ago, Catlover said:

It was, my previous 2008 registered Mk1 was one of the last to have the smaller 180mm clutch as the larger 190mm clutch was introduced during 2008 production (AFAIK the MMT versions have always had the 190mm clutch).

15 hours ago, haelewyn said:

Remember we had a customer here with an automatic who only did around 6000 miles.

The MMT/x-shift has always been harder on clutches than the manual versions.

The smaller 180mm clutch on my Mk1 failed after 3 years & 20,000 miles of commuting but the 190mm clutch that replaced it was still going strong after 9 years & 60,000 miles of mostly commuting.

• Like 1

How many times did you need to replace the exhaust on that 2008 Aygo ? Was it as often as what they say ?
I remember my first Micra (Datsun) only did 6 months with every exhaust back pot. Very tiring if you can't seem to find  a replacement part that does better.

With exhausts, if the car is a keeper then there is always the custom long life stainless steel option - can be a worthwhile investment. 

I've done this in the past with a car model with a reputation of rotting out standard exhaust systems.

• Like 1

I've just replaced the original exhaust back box on my 2009. It's only done 40k miles, though. I've done the seal on the high brake light which solved the wet boot. The clutch is original. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Catlover said:

I regret to confirm that it is still an issue. I checked offers for second hand mk2 Aygos recently and many recent ones were already on their second clutch disc 😕

Among details, we could also mention:
- the floor mats: both my mk1 and mk2 got a hole within the first year although I bought expensive official Toyota mats, my girlfriend drives her Renault with pointy heels and her mats are still intact
- the foam in the seat caves in, it was already the case on the mk1

• Like 1

5 hours ago, haelewyn said:

How many times did you need to replace the exhaust on that 2008 Aygo ? Was it as often as what they say ?

It was still on the original exhaust in 2011 when I had a custom full stainless Powerflow duplex exhaust fitted which was still perfect in 2020 when I part-exchanged it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zuh said:

I regret to confirm that it is still an issue. I checked offers for second hand mk2 Aygos recently and many recent ones were already on their second clutch disc 😕

The clutch was updated to the one fitted in the Yaris. Do petrol Yaris of the same year suffer from premature clutch wear/failure?

Does the Yaris have the same strange pedal usage ? Thought I read the bite there is halfway?

Maybe it's not just the clutch that makes it wear out but the pedal , cable, fine-tuning that is absent (I would almost call it dodgy) on aygo ... and more city traffic driving.

Maybe also the smaller and cheaper a car is, the less it's being driven in km per year. I know a few (2) very old people driving an Aygo / c1 / 107 and they weren't good drivers while they were young. Still got worse now. 😁 

If they would tell me their clutch is out after 30k miles, I still have good hope to do 60 - 70 k myself.

One difference too is that changing a clutch disc on an Aygo will be cheaper than doing the same job on a P308 turbo, direct injection.

All the stuff you need to build out and back in... Seems better on the Aygo.

I often read in car reviews that Toyota sells more cars in Holland because of the design. I don't believe that. I think the five year warranty promise versus the 2 years for Stellantis products makes the biggest difference.

Toyota has up to 10 year European road assistance now too. No idea if PSA offers that for free.

32 minutes ago, haelewyn said:

Toyota has up to 10 year European road assistance now too. No idea if PSA offers that for free.

I wasn't aware that PSA offered assistance in the guarantee period, but I suppose they do, since IIRC there's Peugeot and Renault assistance services. The only time I needed assistance, it was arranged by my insurance company, there's no AA or RAC in France, but it was provided by a PSA garage, and not the closest one!

Is the up 10 year European road assistance linked to the Relax warranty ?

I think it's different for every country.. 

I don't know what you mean by relax warranty, I must confess.

The 10 year assistance is only there (in my country) if you go to a dealer for maintenance, every year, within 365 days of the last maintenance.

The dealer told me Toyota is being difficult about prolongation if you wait 13 of 14 months to get maintenance. I don't know..

I sometimes think it's kind of a waste to pay a lot for maintenance if you only do 4000 miles a year but I guess it's necessary, has warranty and assistance advantages... And with only 2,8 liter oil, it's never bad to change the oil regularly.

It's not just 1 year, it's 10,000 miles too! I had to service my Mk4 after 7 months because I'd already racked up 9000 miles :laugh: 

13 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

The only time I needed assistance, it was arranged by my insurance company, there's no AA or RAC in France, but it was provided by a PSA garage, and not the closest one!

Was it for an accident ?
France is about the only country in Europe that doesn't have an AA / RAC type autoclub I think.
Maybe a good business model to start one. Count me in !

Is there a lot of choice in  FR to join a nationwide system for roadside assistance in case of mechanical failure ?

Thanks. Should have taken a look on Google.

We don't have this possibility. Just 3 + 2 years warranty, maximum 200.000 km.

Should need to have a look to see how strict the maintenance scheme needs to be followed here.

Our relax system has an other name and only covers Europe wide roadside assistance for every kind of breakdown and also (since recently) for accidents now.

My wife has done 63.000 miles in 7 years.

Nothing has broken, yet, Battery, exhaust and clutch are original. Front brakes and pads has been replaced. 

A danish Aygo owner posted a picture showing his Aygo going past 222.222 miles, he had the car from new.

• Like 1

I saw them returning in a local magazine too, the first series. A few cars with +300.000 km and one with +400.000 km.
That kind of made me choose this one. Together with the idea that it still has an old fashioned type of engine, no turbo or direct injection system.
Mine has EGR though (maybe a disadvantage) but I will not be able to get it up to 200.000 km since I expect to drive 6000 km a year.

Here's the 107 with +400.000 km. Sorry , no subtitles.

I did'nt understand a word. But pictures speaks for them selves. Almost no rust, a little wear and tear. Extremly impressive.

But for a car in this price range, it should be parked forever in the crapyard. Any Ford, Fiat etc. would have been terminated long time ago.

I do know of a petrol Peugeot 107 ( Aygo in disguise ) presented for its first MOT test at 3 years old with 247k miles on it.

It was a security pool car & had full main dealer service history.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links