Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sluggish seat belts on yaris mk1

Kezzy1

My 17 year old yaris mk1 has slow returning seat belts. I have only had it for a month or so. 

Is there any way they can be improved so they return quicker ?

I presume it is just a coiled spring that gets tighter when seat belt is pulled ? Does that spring need so wd40 or grease ?

20211201_152002_copy_490x1008.jpg

20211201_152029_copy_490x1008.jpg

I've cured slow belts with furniture polish. Spray a little on a clean cloth and wipe the entire length of the belt. You only need a very little!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is going to sound gross but it's likely just years of accumulated dirt and sweat on the belt making it high friction - If you can give them a damned good clean and let them dry out it should improve them noticeably!

Also the plastic 'runners' it loops through - They accumulate guck like you get on the teflon feet of computer mice - Also increases friction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I spray with dry Silicone spray used to lubricate windows.  Basically lubricates belt without staining clothing. Do NOT use WET spray.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Cyker said:

This is going to sound gross but it's likely just years of accumulated dirt and sweat on the belt making it high friction - If you can give them a damned good clean and let them dry out it should improve them noticeably!

Also the plastic 'runners' it loops through - They accumulate guck like you get on the teflon feet of computer mice - Also increases friction.

Spot on!  You can 'feel' the difference once they're properly cleaned.  They'll feel a LOT more soft and pliable.  Just invest a bit of time in cleaning them.  Hot water in a bucket with some persil, pull the belt out as far as it will go, put a clip on the top to stop it rewinding.  Leave the belt to soak for about 20 mins in the soap solution.  New bucket with warm clean water to give it a good rinse to remove the soap.  Dry throughly (leave it open for a few hours) and then allow it to wind back.  

Also, as Cyker points out, clean the loop on the B post where the belt runs.  May also be useful to clean the edge of the door panel that it comes out from too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Madasafish said:

I spray with dry Silicone spray used to lubricate windows.  Basically lubricates belt without staining clothing. Do NOT use WET spray.

Yeah, we did that in my dad's old Merc as the seat belts were disgusting (The sweat was so stale the belts stank like bad vinegar! :sick: ) - Pulled them all out and dunked them in buckets of hot soapy water for hours hoping that would help.

It didn't, and worse the belts took literally weeks to fully dry!

Brrrr...! I think if I went back in time and had to do that again I'd just buy replacement ones and burn those ones...

Cleaning with antibacterial dettol or similar spray some on microfibre cloth and slide both sides on the belt while pulling it out, repeat few times, you will see what would be trapped in this cloth😉👍.  I do mines every week

• Like 1

Let them soak in a hot bucket with laundry softener works brilliant and will last years!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links