Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dimmed Headlights

Jagst

Is anyone else unhappy with the dimmed headlights on the 2019 Rav 4. The main beams are very good indeed but the dimmed have a short throw. I will check adjustment but judging by comments from elsewhere does not seem to be the answer?

I had to tweak my dimmed upwards quite a bit after delivery, factory set was dangerous unless you drove country roads at 25mph!

Thanks, yes that seem to be the only answer. How far did you raise the headlights and did affect main beams t the extent of on coming dazzle?

1 hour ago, Jagst said:

Thanks, yes that seem to be the only answer. How far did you raise the headlights and did affect main beams t the extent of on coming dazzle?

It was a couple of years back now, from memory it only needed a small ring spanner like 10mm or something. I just took the car to a pitch Black car park at night and with the low beams on cranked them up to light up a decent few feet ahead, walked down the road and looked back to ensure it wouldn't dazzle other drivers, nothing scientific. There is info online about using a wall at a set distance and measuring marks to aim at.

It didn't affect high beams, low beams have their own adjusters.

I agree, the sharp cutoff makes driving on the dipped beam a bit nerve-wracking. I had the same problem with a Nissan Pulsar fitted with LEDs, I asked the dealers to check the setting and they said it was fine. It was then subject to a manufacturer's recall due to the dip beams being set too low as standard.... 

I then bought another Pulsar with standard halogen bulbs and it was much better due to a gentler cutoff, go figure. 

It does seem to be a problem with cars fitted with LEDs, as they are so bright they give them a very sharp cutoff which actually makes them worse at night. 

54 minutes ago, ColinB said:

It does seem to be a problem with cars fitted with LEDs, as they are so bright they give them a very sharp cutoff which actually makes them worse at night. 

Yeah I know what you mean; I did an experiment on the way back from my bro's once and switched to sidelights only in a layby and when my eyes adjusted I could see a lot more to the sides, whereas with the LED dipped beams I can only see what it illuminates immediately in front of me because it is so bright my retina closes more than it does with normal halogens.

Ironic that brighter beams makes you see less on a pitch black road!!

However in the city, I had the opposite problem with my old Mk2 and its halogens - Because everybody elses headlights are so bright my halogens were next to useless as they were not bright enough to overcome everybody else's head lights. I couldn't even tell if they were one!

It's like the radio loudness war, but with headlights!

• Haha 1

Leds are way too bright.  For me HIDs are the best light source.

Well I have adjusted the dimmed headlights. Can someone tell me whether this also lifts the main beam or are they independent. Also can the headlights be adjusted right and left. Thanks.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links