Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Thoughts on Corolla Tourer Sport

VladMD

Hi all, sorry for a long post.

At the moment I drive Lexus GS450h, 2012. I had the car for 3.5 years and feels like it is time to change for something else. Lexus has plenty life in it as it has done only 61k miles but being a petrol head asks me to change the car. I would like to stay with Japanese car maker that is economical and reliable. Lexus ES or new NX will be too expensive for me for now and they do not offer 0% APR.

I am considering a Corolla TS, 2.0ltr as it has a better performance stats, I do not drive fast but I like have an extra power under the foot, in case I need to make a quick overtake.

A week ago I test drove Corolla TS Trek, which I found to be a very spacious car inside, with massive boot and I loved the suspension, so comfortable and quite and yes, even when I compare it to my GS. To be honest I was so nicely impressed the way the car drives! I also took RAV4 for a test drive but left disappointed is it as a louder car with harsher suspension.

Ideally I would love to have a JBL music but it only comes in Excel trim but Trek is 20mm higher of the ground which is useful in UK with German like roads (not) but Trek does not come with JBL! 

The questions is, is JBL worth upgrading to and buy an Excel trim which is lower and I think from 2022 it comes with 18 inch wheels, I am afraid it might spoil the comfy ride and quietness of the car. Someone told me that JBL does not make much difference in music quality which sounds weird to me. Can anyone comment if it is a decent sound system?

Also I have read somewhere that subwoofer is fitted in the boot and it tells me that I won't be able to fit a space saver, is that the case?

I am still deciding on tow bar, be it vertical fitment or horizontal and 7 or 13 pin connection.

Any thoughts, advises?

Thanks everyone.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VladMD said:

At the moment I drive Lexus GS450h, 2012. I had the car for 3.5 years and feels like it is time to change for something else. Lexus has plenty life in it as it has done only 61k miles but being a petrol head asks me to change the car. I would like to stay with Japanese car maker that is economical and reliable. Lexus ES or new NX will be too expensive for me for now and they do not offer 0% APR.

I am considering a Corolla TS, 2.0ltr as it has a better performance stats, I do not drive fast but I like have an extra power under the foot, in case I need to make a quick overtake.

A week ago I test drove Corolla TS Trek, which I found to be a very spacious car inside, with massive boot and I loved the suspension, so comfortable and quite and yes, even when I compare it to my GS. To be honest I was so nicely impressed the way the car drives! I also took RAV4 for a test drive but left disappointed is it as a louder car with harsher suspension.

Ideally I would love to have a JBL music but it only comes in Excel trim but Trek is 20mm higher of the ground which is useful in UK with German like roads (not) but Trek does not come with JBL! 

The questions is, is JBL worth upgrading to and buy an Excel trim which is lower and I think from 2022 it comes with 18 inch wheels, I am afraid it might spoil the comfy ride and quietness of the car. Someone told me that JBL does not make much difference in music quality which sounds weird to me. Can anyone comment if it is a decent sound system?

Also I have read somewhere that subwoofer is fitted in the boot and it tells me that I won't be able to fit a space saver, is that the case?

I am still deciding on tow bar, be it vertical fitment or horizontal and 7 or 13 pin connection.

Any thoughts, advises?

Thanks everyone.

Morning Vlad. Nice to see you on here too. Stick with the GS for 10 more years matey!🤣🤣

Regards Roy(otr)

• Haha 1

The 2022 MY Trek also has some exterior & interior trim changes / upgrades.

How about the Corolla Cross that is coming later this year? Maybe wait to see if that would be suitable.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, john p williams said:

Morning Vlad. Nice to see you on here too. Stick with the GS for 10 more years matey!🤣🤣

Regards Roy(otr)

I am considering this too but I have that itch, you know, get a new car. Also, at the moment I can still sell Lexus for a decent money! Oh well, decision decison! 

I asked my wife on her opinion and was was very helpful, she said - darling, you decide yourself what you want to do! 🙂

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

The 2022 MY Trek also has some exterior & interior trim changes / upgrades.

How about the Corolla Cross that is coming later this year? Maybe wait to see if that would be suitable.

I was not aware of the Corolla Cross! Thanks, i will have a look at it. 

Why Toyota UK does not offer this, I saw only Excel and Trek trims.

3 minutes ago, VladMD said:

I was not aware of the Corolla Cross! Thanks, i will have a look at it. 

Why Toyota UK does not offer this, I saw only Excel and Trek trims.

The Corolla Cross is an all new vehicle that hasn't been launched in the UK market yet. 

Corolla Cross | The New Corolla Cross Hybrid SUV | Toyota UK

• Thanks 1

Toyota Cross looks very nice! Now, what price it will be selling for? Will they offer 0% APR as well? 

Is it not shorter than a TS by about 150-200mm? That makes it less practical but nonetheless it is something to look forward to!

2 hours ago, VladMD said:

Perhaps JBL is a better system than a non JBL, however I cannot say that I’m amazed by how it sounds. There’s also no subwoofer instead of the spare. In fact there’s no separate subwoofer. Bass is handled by door Speakers. My plan is to put some sound deadening material in the front doors, because right now music is headache inducing and mushy on higher volumes. My previous setup in the FJ was Infiniti front door Speakers handling mids and  through a cheapo Pioneer amp and stock subwoofer that uses its own amp and stock tweeters. It is miles better than the corolla stock setup.

To be honest, I’d look into giving the GS a second life, detail/respray it, new wheels and tires. Even though ES doesn’t feel like a rebadged Camry anymore, it is still a FWD and isn’t very powerful. As far as I know dynamics of the ES are very similar to Corolla 2.0.

Before buying the Corolla I was looking for either GS450h or IS300h but none were available in top trim, there was only one GS 2015 that was very high mileage and was overpriced. 

• Thanks 1

I opted for the jbl on my corolla and partner did on her yaris. 

Personally I like it and it's a step up from the standard. I actually listen to music more now. 

But, it's a step up, not an audiophiles dream and I can understand people opting for bespoke upgrades that they choose and specify. 

The jbl has no additional settings or configuration. It is a power amp with a couple of extra Speakers. But there is plenty of bass, clear high end and it's an integrated solution. The Speakers are a step up from standard. 

For the cost, I am glad I got it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with @trashman1965

I have the JBL upgrade and, to my ears, it's much improved over the standard speaker setup. I certainly don't regret getting them.

• Like 2

When I was looking for a used Gen4 Prius there was a criteria list of wants, Leather seats, 15” wheels (optional when new), hypersonic red colour (as seen in Prius catalogue), and JBL 10 speaker sound. I was searching the country for a used Prius to match and finally found one 100 mile away in Solihull at a Toyota dealers.

and Yes, the sound through JBL is above standard Speakers, makes listening to music more pleasurable, and there is no subwoofer in the tyre space either.

• Like 1

For towbar I would go with 13 pin because it has more features. You can still connect a 7 pin plug through an adapter and everything will work, but you can't use the features of a 13 pin if your car hasn't been wired for it.

Vertical hides the mechanical socket behind the bumper, so it looks better but is a little more awkward to attach. Horizontal will be easier if you plan on attaching and removing it very often.

Audio upgrades not worth it IMO, unless you plan to keep the car many years and really enjoy the benefits longer term. For just a few years of ownership it makes less sense because these upgrades don't add anything at all to the book residual value, you are just buying it for the next owner.

PS I would keep the Lexus if it's in good condition and with so few miles 🙂

• Like 2

If it’s me JBL against Trek, the Trek wins 100%, it’s probably  the best trim level Corolla with really useful height, electric tailgate and slightly different appearance on interior, even the MY22 will look better it’s larger screen and full black leather seats. Supposed to be on 18” but on Toyota site still shows as 17” for the UK, so no worries here. JBL will deliver better sound , but at the end it’s just a sound where Trek is like completely different category car, plastic trims all around also help with the gravel, grit and salt that we have plenty here. Any Silver colour on Trek Corolla any day for me 👍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bunnyrabbit03 said:

the my22 has the same 8in screen with massive bezels

39 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

If it’s me JBL against Trek, the Trek wins 100%, it’s probably  the best trim level Corolla with really useful height, electric tailgate and slightly different appearance on interior, even the MY22 will look better it’s larger screen and full black leather seats. Supposed to be on 18” but on Toyota site still shows as 17” for the UK, so no worries here. JBL will deliver better sound , but at the end it’s just a sound where Trek is like completely different category car, plastic trims all around also help with the gravel, grit and salt that we have plenty here. Any Silver colour on Trek Corolla any day for me 👍

The new trek comes in 18” wheels and with new screen, size wise don’t know but the screen is new type without side buttons or touch sensitive ones. Black leather seats  look ok , not as good as on the GR but just fine, I may prefer the previous version though. There is one available on auto trader in red. Just for reference and huge disappointment same Corolla in other European countries cost as low as £25k not £32 plus better headlight and many colour options, Shame  really these cars are build here and are so expensive.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My Mk4 has the JBL sound system but it doesn't sound spectacular or anything. Honestly I think they just added more Speakers and stuck a JBL Badge on it :laugh: 

To be fair, the road noise in the Mk4 and lack of any noise damping/cancelling makes the Mk4 a very challenging vehicle to have any sort of decent sound system in.

The Trek is such a weird spec; Slightly off-roadified but no AWD and 18" rims, where normally you'd put smaller rims on an off-road vehicle??

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

The new trek comes in 18” wheels and with new screen, size wise don’t know but the screen is new type without side buttons or touch sensitive ones. Black leather seats  look ok , not as good as on the GR but just fine, I may prefer the previous version though. There is one available on auto trader in red. Just for reference and huge disappointment same Corolla in other European countries cost as low as £25k not £32 plus better headlight and many colour options, Shame  really these cars are build here and are so expensive.  

Thanks for the input, cars in UK are always a bit more expensive but it is a shame about the option and colours.

The red one in Toyota Ayr is the one I took for a test drove, really liked it but monthly payments make no sense on the used one, it is cheaper to get a new one.

Did you see a new model life? You just commented on the seat leather 

Thanks!

I liked the original trek trim with the cloth seats. Looks good in Silver. Also like it in Denim Blue and scarlet Flare. Quite like it in silver as matches lower front grill bottom. Wish it had a light brown leather interior or cream, presume not real leather.

James.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Cyker said:

My Mk4 has the JBL sound system but it doesn't sound spectacular or anything. Honestly I think they just added more speakers and stuck a JBL badge on it :laugh: 

To be fair, the road noise in the Mk4 and lack of any noise damping/cancelling makes the Mk4 a very challenging vehicle to have any sort of decent sound system in.

The Trek is such a weird spec; Slightly off-roadified but no AWD and 18" rims, where normally you'd put smaller rims on an off-road vehicle??

I have read that they also added a 800W subwoofer in the boot with the JBL plus 2 small Speakers

Do you find Corolla noisy? I thought it is a quite car but I only had 15 minutes ride and on motorway there was a nice surface so any car would be quite, saying that, I drove the same day RAV4 and it was noticeably louder. 

I agree, Trek spec is weird, they could at least add a Grip Control like Peugeot does, and smaller wheels with All Season tyres, 17 would be fine.

8 minutes ago, Auris James said:

I liked the original trek trim with the cloth seats. Looks good in Silver. Also like it in Denim Blue and scarlet Flare. Quite like it in silver as matches lower front grill bottom. Wish it had a light brown leather interior or cream, presume not real leather.

James.

James, the one I was thinking to order could be in Scarlet Red, I think it looks very nice. I never had a red car but always wanted one! 😁

Cream leather would be nice too.

Steering wheel heating I think does not come on Corolla but I would love to have it and heated front screen too. Why Toyota does not offer this as an option?!

Vlad 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VladMD said:

I have read that they also added a 800W subwoofer in the boot with the JBL plus 2 small speakers. 

Do you find Corolla noisy? I thought it is a quite car but I only had 15 minutes ride and on motorway there was a nice surface so any car would be quite, saying that, I drove the same day RAV4 and it was noticeably louder. 

I agree, Trek spec is weird, they could at least add a Grip Control like Peugeot does, and smaller wheels with All Season tyres, 17 would be fine.

Sorry, I was talking about my Yaris Mk4... I did play with the Corolla a bit but not enough to get a feel for how noisy it was (They never let me take my test-drive onto the motorway... :sad: :naughty: ). The Mk4 is very noisy at motorway speeds, esp. on the concrete slab roads around my area (It's alway so nice to get on blessed tarmac and asphalt compared to those slabs :wacko:  It was even worse before I went from 17" rims to 15" ones tho'!! :eek: 

I'm pretty sure the Yaris' JBL system doesn't have a sub in the boot (There is literally no space :laugh: ), so may not be the best comparison... It doesn't seem particularly bassy so I doubt it even has a subwoofer!

31 minutes ago, VladMD said:

James, the one I was thinking to order could be in Scarlet Red, I think it looks very nice. I never had a red car but always wanted one! 😁

Cream leather would be nice too.

Steering wheel heating I think does not come on Corolla but I would love to have it and heated front screen too. Why Toyota does not offer this as an option?!

Vlad 

I had a burgundy red Lexus IS220 Diesel. Liked the colour, but showed the dirt after a few days. Looked great after a wash. Silver hides it well! No Corolla does not come to the UK with heated steering wheel, different markets get different specification. A shame as should be able to get what you want.

My ideal corolla a Trek 1.8 with the 15 inch, Icon Tech alloys, panoramic sunroof, white/off white headliner and full light colour leather seats.

James.

Lexus.jpg

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I'm pretty sure the Yaris' JBL system doesn't have a sub in the boot (There is literally no space :laugh: ), so may not be the best comparison... It doesn't seem particularly bassy so I doubt it even has a subwoofer!

I had the Harmon Khardon option added to a 3 series and I think the sub for that went under the front seat. The sub does help a lot, probably delivers about 90% of the perceived improvement in sound quality, but the reality is you're paying a big wedge of money and still being supplied with cheap Speakers. In recent years, JBL and many other audio companies have become tarts for allowing their name to be associated with any old product as long as the manufacturer is willing to pay the licence. For example, my laptop with B&O badged Speakers - the actual sound quality from that thing is absolutely diabolical! There's a world of difference between JBL badged car or laptop Speakers etc. and their proper theater equipment, and I would say the same about HK, Bose or any of the other badges that the car makers pay for.

• Haha 1

I really like my TREK which I've had 10 months now. I have mine in the pearlescent sterling silver and have the Toyota vertical removable tow bar with 13 pins fitted. IMO the little bit of extra ride height is useful on our roads and my particular use and additional exterior trim suits the TREK with that raised ride height.

The option choice was disappointing and really don't get Toyota UKs decision on reducing the options down so much. Personally I may have spent a little more on some options if they had been available. I would really have liked the option of a Panoramic roof. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VladMD said:

Thanks for the input, cars in UK are always a bit more expensive but it is a shame about the option and colours.

The red one in Toyota Ayr is the one I took for a test drove, really liked it but monthly payments make no sense on the used one, it is cheaper to get a new one.

Did you see a new model life? You just commented on the seat leather 

Thanks!

I just looked on auto trader and there is only one my22 available in red and I can see the pictures for the wheels, seats and screen , never in person. I only saw one in person last week and I liked a lot , was sterling silver , really matches the the car overall appearance 👌

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links