Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mk2 Yaris 1.3 vs 1.33

Narbar

Hi, im looking to buy a reliable little car and im looking at the MK2 Yaris SR.  

Ive seen the 85bhp 1.3 and the 100bhp 1.33.  Are these both good engines? Is one more reliable than the other? Ive seen a few people moaning about the 1.33 on reviews but would rather have a real genuine opinion from a good owners club.

Apart from the 6 speed and 5 speed gearbox whats the best way to tell the difference on adverts between the two?  Alot of people are listing theirs as the 1.33 even tho the pics show a 5 speed box.  But unfortunately not every advert has interior pics. 

Thanks for any help i really appreciate it.  Thanks Dean

The 1.33 was introduced from February 2009, so although there may be a few 1.3's registered after this date, most Yaris first registered after February 2009 will be 1.33's (for example 09 plate onwards).

Early 1.33's have a recognised known issue with oil consumption which is a known design fault. I have that same engine in the Auris and it has consumed 10 litres of oil in the last 11 months (83k mileage). In all other respects it has been near faultless.

So something to be aware of.

The face lift 2009 onwards had the 1.33 engine, (you can very easily spot these from the self coloured bumper inserts front and back).

The 1.3 is the same running gear as the Mk1 Yaris and is proven to be reliable and robust. The 1.33 was only used for a short time in the Auris, IQ and Mk2/Mk3 Yaris and the early ones were not great. The 6-speed gearbox it's attached to is much more fragile than the 5-speed, and the pre-fixed engines are very prone to high oil consumption.

I picked a 1.33 so I'd keep the £30 road tax I was paying on my Mk1 D4D, but in hindsight I wish I'd gone for the 1.3 instead, as that 2009 TR 1.33 was the least reliable car I've ever owned! While owning it I had a gearbox failure, the entire AC system was riddled with leaks, and the compressor failed, and by the time I got rid of it, it was consuming something like a litre of oil a month!

The only good thing about the 1.33 is it got me so angry (With it and my dealer's incompetence with diagnosing it) I threw all the toys out the pram and bought a Mk4 with the money I'd been saving for an EV and a house (Both things which, at the rate things are going, I no longer think I'll get before I die anyway...!), and I'm bloody glad I did because it is 100% awesome! (Well, maybe 99%... I still don't like the seats...!)

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies, really appreciate it.  Think ill go for the normal 1.3 🙂

4 hours ago, Cyker said:

The 1.33 was only used for a short time in the Auris, IQ and Mk2/Mk3 Yaris and the early ones were not great.

The Auris had the 1.33 from late 2008 through to Dec 2017 (both generations) and the Yaris had the 1.33 from early 2009 through to 2017 (generations 2 & 3), before it was replaced by a re-worked version of the same engine as a 1.5.

We had two Auris 1.33's (2009 & 2012) and they were fine over the 7 years we had them.

So not as short a period as intimated. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links