Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Pre Collision Camera

Bernard Foy

Was attending a soccer match tonight and the temperatures were-2Cel so I immediately noticed a red warning symbol showing the pre-collision system is off and also noticed that the automatic headlights dipping system didn’t work either. But after driving a couple of miles on the way home it righted itself. I just put it down to the frost possibly cause a problem for the camera, because I directed the heating towards the windscreen. Any of you guys who are more savvy than me tell me if I was correct in assuming that. Or has anyone had a similar experience.??

The hand book gives a few example of when the PCS may not be available, one is if the area around the sensor is cold as in a extremely cold environment and another cause can be when the windshield is fogged up or covered with condensation or ice.    I guess they mean the area in front of the camera being fogged up and therefore blocking it's vision.

I wonder if the same camera is used to 'see' oncoming vehicles,if ti does then that would explain the auto dippig malfunction as well. 

• Like 1

I had the same symptoms the other morning when the car had a thick layer of frost on it. The Lane assist and the speed sign indicator failed to work. 

I also assumed it was frost as it cleared when the car warmed up.

• Like 1

We had something similar occur once on our i20 where the windscreen misted up quite badly in foggy weather - so it isn't just limited to Toyota models. 

• Like 1

Which seems to suggest that this is normal if the camera involved has a restricted view, which makes sense really.

I've also had this in cold weather 

The front screen camera is used for LDW, AHBA and RSR. Adaptive cruise uses radar behind front grille. At least that’s what they were 2 years ago before I left the industry. 😬

• Like 2

The camera has a heater, it takes a while to warm up, the reason for the warning is the camera was unable to see

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links