Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Rav4 - Manual Gear Change

CPA22

Good afternoon all. I have just joined this forum having bought a 2015  2.2 diesel Invincible from a main dealer last July.

I love it but I took it into a different Toyota dealer yesterday for a minor service ( 35k miles) and I asked them their opinion on the manual gear change, particularly from 1st to 2nd. This works well enough but is quite clunky as described above in other posts.

Well, they have said that it needs investigating and they suggest dismantling the gearbox at a cost of £1100 initially to diagnose the problem. Depending on what they find this may or may not be covered under warranty. I have a one year warranty from the main dealer that I bought the car from and, having had it serviced yesterday, it will have the Toyota Relax warranty too.

I am pretty loathed to risk spending this money if they come back and say that everything is fine !!

Incidentally they also said that it will fail its next MOT on "debonded rear trailing arm bushes". They told me to wait for it to fail on this and then try to get the replacements done under warranty.

So I am a bit nervous of my warranty actually not covering either of these.

From what I have read above it seems to me that I ought to get the gearbox oil changed in the first instance but that it is a gear change known to be clunky so just live with it.

Any thoughts please and thank you for letting me join your forum ?

Rear arm bushes will be no problem under warranty

1st to 2nd can be clunky on the RAV, what sort of miles are on it? First thing to do would be to change the oil in the gearbox. Your dealer is correct in the fact warranty do not pay for investigation, so if they say the notch is minimal, then leave it, otherwise you might be in for a big bill. Warranty will only pay for a failed component so bear that in mind 

On 4/1/2022 at 3:33 PM, Parts-King said:

Rear arm bushes will be no problem under warranty

1st to 2nd can be clunky on the RAV, what sort of miles are on it? First thing to do would be to change the oil in the gearbox. Your dealer is correct in the fact warranty do not pay for investigation, so if they say the notch is minimal, then leave it, otherwise you might be in for a big bill. Warranty will only pay for a failed component so bear that in mind 

Thank you Parts-King,

the car has only done 35k miles and I only mentioned it to the Service team as it is a bit clunky but nothing worse than that so I'll do as you suggest.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links