Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How do I change engine mounts?

Chris Boddum

Hey Aygo-owners

I've decided that its time to change the lower engine mount, the big one that normally causes most trouble. I've sorted a few other things on the car making it drive great, it just needs to stop rocking forwards and backwards every single time I lift off the accelerator pedal. I've been able to diagnose the issue with a camera in the engine bay as well, clearly showing the engine rocking quite a lot forwards and backwards with knocking sounds. 

It's a 2015 Aygo. Is it hard to change the lower engine mount?

Thanks.

The lower dog bone is the easy one, if it's been left it may have killed the other 2

2 bolts, one through the subframe and mount, and the other through the mount into the engine bracket - they will be tight, so you will need an impact or breaker bar - apart from that a jack and a bit of wood to lift the engine a tad to get the mount out

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

The lower dog bone is the easy one, if it's been left it may have killed the other 2

2 bolts, one through the subframe and mount, and the other through the mount into the engine bracket - they will be tight, so you will need an impact or breaker bar - apart from that a jack and a bit of wood to lift the engine a tad to get the mount out

I don't think it has directly killed the rest first, but honestly I'll just change the dog bone first and see if that fixes the rest. Thanks man.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chris Boddum said:

I don't think it has directly killed the rest first, but honestly I'll just change the dog bone first and see if that fixes the rest. Thanks man.

If one engine mount failed and the car been used like that for long time it is very likely indeed the others to be gone too, because they had to cope with a lot more forces and often been overloaded. Change the mount in question and double or even triple check the rest and change as necessary, only then you will have job fully completed. Can watch some videos how to on YouTube on Prius, Corolla or whatever is available. Different cars but all Toyotas and there are some similarities. When buying a replacement mount best to buy original new, if too expensive then used one from low mileage car donor or new aftermarket but best quality possible, otherwise low priced ones often got nasty surprises after been fitted. 
Good luck 👍

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links