Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Poor headlights 2020 rav4

Jirker

My rav4 headlights are very poor. Poor distance and brightness. Can I improve it by changing the bulbs

Has the alignment been checked??

3 hours ago, Jirker said:

My rav4 headlights are very poor. Poor distance and brightness. Can I improve it by changing the bulbs

I believe that the headlights are LED units so "changing the bulbs" might be a little challenging ... 😉

When I first got my car I was disappointed with the LED lights, they didn't seem bright enough.  However cars with LED lights coming the other way can be blinding as they go over a speed hump so I wonder if it is an illusion to do with the colour of the lights, LEDs are close to daylight, halogens have a yellow tinge. 

4 hours ago, Trewithy said:

When I first got my car I was disappointed with the LED lights, they didn't seem bright enough.  However cars with LED lights coming the other way can be blinding as they go over a speed hump so I wonder if it is an illusion to do with the colour of the lights, LEDs are close to daylight, halogens have a yellow tinge. 

If the lights are set too low by the switch to the right of the steering wheel it might give an impression that they are too weak. Usually Toyota led are very bright and bluish. I think in general the latest lights on all cars are to bluish to the point that they are now far away from daytime light and the older halogen bulbs are actually closer to the natural light which is around 3200-4000k max. Led’s are often well over 4600k. 

8D2579B9-77F4-47A6-962C-665067FDC46C.jpeg

With a long Philips screwdriver it is possible to self adjust the level of the LED headlights, btw they are self leveling which is why there is no adjustment wheel beside the steering wheel.

If you open up the bonnet and look ontop of the headlight unit there is 2 holes on each. one will be marked L and on the opposite unit it will be R. I can't remember what the marking is for up and down (U maybe). If you have the time and a dark garage you can play around or just ask a toyota to adjust, should be covered by the warranty. Adjustment of the LED headlight is the same as halogen in principle. There are plenty of youtube videos explaining how to adjust the latter.

Higher trim levels have a better LED units and the upgraded 2022 Higher trim level is even better.

I have bog standard LED headlights and I think these are much better than halogen headlights. It's not Mercedes or Audi, but then it's not their prices either.

Just completed 2x18 hour drives mostly at night across Europe and apart from the automatic dip not working quick enough for some oncoming truckers, the lights were fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links