Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Question From Dutch Cts Owner

Henwen

Hey people,

I’m a happy CTS owner from the Netherlands and I thought it was time to post something on the forum (which I like very much)

Anyway I have the following question:

When I drive my cts (fast or slow) and I get my foot off the accelerator and I let the car roll on the engine I hear a scraping rattling sound of the engine. It’s not really loud or annoying, but I’m worried something is wrong. The 25th of this month I go to the Toyota dealer anyway for my TTE lowering kit so I will ask there also, but can anyone tell me if you have the same experience?

Thanks,

Henry

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eep2nw

• tunix

• thecanadian

• Aphelion

I don't think there is any problem with your CTS. I noticed that on my CTS the first thing i did almost, and one year later it is the same... so it should be normal.

It should be the valves in the 2ZZGE engine that makes the noises (it is a very complex piece of machinery). I read here at the forum that someone said that the new aluminum-engines from Toyota is a bit more noisy with rattles and so on...

But if you are worried anyway take it to the dealer and they should sort it out.

I have the same problem with my CTS. But I hear this noise more when I drive with very low RPM. My CTS will visit the garage for the 15000 km service this month and the problem will be fixed than. It looks like the problem is the tensioner of the belt for the alternator, aircondition and waterpump. Some guys from the german board had the same problem.

Will You go to Venlo end of this month ?

Regards, Eric

Hiya

I also have this problem with mine, seems when take your foot off the accelerator in lower gears 1-3 i think there is a rubbing sound from the engine, also i get noise from the clutch when it is depressed a sort of rubbing sound also, had the car in a few times over the year, needed new bearings in the gear box and new engine mounts so far, but have accepted noise as normal, still i am going to make a point extending my waranty beyond 3yrs

Let me know how you get on with yor dealer mate, this formum came in handy for problems before

Thanks for the response,

I went to the Toyota dealer and they found out that it was something in the drive and not in the engine. However, what the exact thing is, we don’t know yet. The 25th this will also checked after lowering my CTS!!!. As soon as I know more about this I will inform everyone what it was.

Thanks again.

Hello guys,

I faced the same problem two months ago. A quite loud rattling noise when easing the gas pedal. It is something different that the noise made by the engine. The dealer told me that a part of the pressure plate broke and was causing the noise. I had a complete clutch replaced under the warranty.

Best,

tx

• 5 weeks later...

I've also noticed the scraping/rubbing noise from the engine when I'm using engine braking at around 3rd/4th gears and I think I may have to book it in for a check soon. Have you guys managed to sort out the problem with the dealer yet?? What was the cause of it???

Hey did any of you guy's get the problem resolved, mine still makes this rubbing almost hissing noise when you are engine braking and or running on low revs, every time i get it in to the dealers they swear they have fixed it? but has been there since i got it last year.

I've got the same issue on mine. Although, the transmission/gear box/clutch only starts to become noisy after its warm. It's fine when cold. So, I'm assuming the gear box oil maybe just a little too low in viscosity weight. I have the car booked in to be checked out in a couple of weeks. I'm thinking the garage will say there's nothing wrong, so will ask them to change the oil for a higher visc synthetic...anyone else tried this?

Also, might have them fit lowering springs at the same time!

This is a problem that a lot of T-sport owners have. I found a few guy’s in the Netherlands that have the same issues. It’s either the transmission or something with the drive. Last time they could not find the problem. There will be a second attempt the 17th of this month. I let you know if something is found and what it is or hope, what it was!

Hey Henwen

Yeah i think it is definatly transmission too, have already had some bearings replaced in the gearbox :crybaby:

Would you keep me posted on what they find

Thanks

Aphelion, did you get a mechanic or representative to sit in and listen to the engine noise? When I had rattling noises from the rear, I made one of them to sit in and after that, the rattling noise was cured (after going back 3 times!!!).. This time round, for the engine, I thought of checking with you guys before I bring it back to the dealer to have it sorted out.... I suspect it may be belt tensioner but could be wrong. Sometimes on a stop-go traffic, I notice a soft but obvious light scraping noise each time I move off in 1st gear, but once I move into higher speeds, the noise is gone... but the scraping noise from engine braking is definitely obvious.....

Hey eep2nw

Nahh i no it sounds silly, but this time i think i will ask if i can take one of the mechanics a spin, makes sense for them to understand what noise i am getting, i take it this noise is not the normal,.

Mine is in 1st to third low revs realy, say below 2K and generaly on engine braking, which i seem to do tons off, always had a feeling this was clutch related but not too sure

Thanks for your advice

Yeah, I get that noise between 1-4 gears and at low revs.... just under 2500rpm... could've been a common problem with the other CTS owners as well..... I think I'll try to get mine book in within the next couple of weeks and see what's the outcome.... but would definitely appreciate if any other CTS owners could provide some feedback on this issue as well.....

This is almost certainly sounds like a clutch related problem, it was the very reason I decided to part with my Corolla T-Sport after 2 new clutches one of which totally collapsed while driving Toyota still could not seem to sort it out.

But this noise was the finally straw for me! :angry:

Nick :thumbsup:

Hey Here is an idea, can we not start up a poll, describing the fault and see if anyone else has it, would be good to hand in to toyota and say look these people get this also, so it can't just be a normal thing, did i hear nick say the noise drove him crazy, wonder if you could describe a bit of detail about the fault.

Cheers

Would appreciate if nick could expand the description a little more.... for my case, the scraping noise only occurs when doing engine braking and moving off in 1st gear (sometimes), the noise isn't very loud but noticeable....

eeeerrrmmm, I tried creating a poll but haven't been successfull.....

Damn yeah, i think you need to be a club member to do that, hopefuly my mebership should be through soon and i can set that up.

Cheers Again

Hello guys,

I'm almost 100% sure the sound is clutch related. As I wrote before I had mine replaced, but with the new clutch I experienced noticeable jerking when starting. Two weeks ago I took the car to a dealer. They replaced throw-out bearing and something else within a clutch. I didn't solve the problem, but caused this strange sound to get louder and louder with each day.

I took it to the dealer once again. On the phone they told me they replaced both disks, the bearing, and some other parts of the clutch. Hope to pick the car up on Monday.

Guys, I'm not a clutch killer, but I had both disks replaced twice, the bearing - three times - everything within six months. I'm seriously thinking of changing the car.

Best,

tx

<_< i ,am just thinking about buying a CTS from 2002 with 34.000km on the clock :blink::crybaby:

<_< i ,am just thinking about buying a CTS from 2002 with 34.000km on the clock :blink::crybaby:

With my experience I can say it's a good choice if you like to think a lot about your car. One day you love it because of its performance, another day you hate it because of strange sounds, vibrations, and couple of other "issues". I strongly recommend you take one with the longest warranty left possible. At least if anything happens they fix it for free :)

Best,

tx

Guys

Here is what I’m going to do.

The 17th of this month I have an other appointment with the Toyota dealer. The lead mechanic and an other one of the mechanics are going to ride with me and I will make sure the car is warm and make the noises, were we all are talking about. I printed all documents what I have from this forum related to this issue. I have some other documents from some Dutch owners also with this problem. If this problem is not fixed after my visit at the dealer, I will take action steps to Toyota Netherlands or Europe! I think there are enough problems documented right now to complain at a higher level.

I keep you guys updated!

:censor:

Hi All

I guess you talk about the different engine sound, which appears together with some engine/car vibration, when releasing the gas pedal below 3000rpm. I think it is reasonable as the engine rpm approaches idle. Personally, I am really disturbed by the rattling of the back of my seat that happens at these moments.

Aphelion could you please give some information about the engine mounts: Any guess for which cars may need it, part number and if you have noticed any effects of the changed mounts?Is it a new part?

Better mounts might help against various cabin rattles (dash, gear knob)?

I have a persistent dash rattling. It used to appear near the radio at 3500-4500 when the car was warm and a/c was on (summer). Toyota mechanics tried (4th time) to eliminate it. However, it now appeared again when the a/c is off and the car is not warm (by the sun or engine) and it seems to come from somewhere near the windscreen.

I am thinking that it cannot be that awful the 03’ Corollas’ assembly. The problem might be bad isolation of underestimated (by Toyota) vibrations from the moving parts of Corolla TS, which was not needed in 1.4lt Corollas. And this could be the reason for many other rattles/noises.

The face-lift CTS is supposed to have a noise-absorbing windscreen and a front strut bar? Could they have been used as mechanical vibration absorbers to fight cabin rattles?

I have the same problem 2. When it hits low rpms. It's like the air starts to blow harder in the cabin, and when i push the clutch it makes a jerking sound. Like there is a lot of friction. But im nearing my 30000 km meintance.

I get a lot of rattling at the windscreen and at the right A pillar, and at the back of the car. :(

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links