Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Parking brake imbalance

mark0

Hi I’m having a lot of bother, replaced parking brake cables ,shoes rear discs tightened everything up at lever and adjusted star wheel at drum till lightly touching drum , When applying Handbrake drivers rear wheel locks up but passenger side spins slightly I have replaced nearly everything on the parking brake the only thing is backing plate on wheel that spins is bent and shoes are not sitting flush I have tryed to bend it back a bit but it’s corroded could this be my problem it’s failed nct twice imbalances 90 %

I will say yes if you have checked and compared movement of both sides from the equalizer to the drum shoes. Corrosion and misshaped parts will affect the brake performance. So I would say yes, if the back plate is in a bad state. The following should show all the components including the back plate.

http://www.japan-parts.eu/EU/3/460551D.png http://www.japan-parts.eu/EU/3/460526D.png

Links to the images - http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2008/avensis/adt250r-alfeyw/3_273550_136_352W/powertrain-chassis/4601_parking-brake-cable/1 
http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2008/avensis/adt250r-alfeyw/3_273550_136_352W/powertrain-chassis/4601_parking-brake-cable/3

Thanks for your reply I will keep cracking on and let you know how I get on

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update failed nct again on passenger rear. Driver side 2400 kn locks up fine passenger rear 500 kn I seem to be missing something do they new shoes have to be run in maybe the bedded in on driver side quicker or maybe could grease or could I have contaiminated the other side I checked sanded it down with sand paper I seem to be missing something cables pulling okay on both sides have adjusted star wheel on both sides till it locks wheels then I back it off till wheels rotate I just seem to be missing something 

Check to see if equliser bar is at right angles when hand brake is applied no 46341 in Konrad C diagrams.

If its out check pivot point for easy of movment compere it to other side parts 47611 & 47612

Its probably a rivit type of fitting so you may need to remove shoe to compere then oil and see if it free off.

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry for late reply I didn’t have time to do the repairs myself with work etc .I had to bite the bullet and leave it in to a mechanic well the diagnosis was the reason the passenger rear wheel wasn’t locking up was grease contamination somehow everything was installed correctly cables shoes all adjusted and fitted correctly the backing plate was slightly bent on passenger side and where I had greased the mounting points where the shoes ride on the grease had somehow made its way on to the shoe linings causing the wheel not to lock up the same as driver side I don’t know how I missed that but it passed the nct at last maybe there was to much space between backing plate and hub to allow grease contamination I applied same amount of grease equally to both backing plates on passenger and driver side. The driver side locked up so I will put it down to one of them things Thanks for replies guys and I hope this helps someone in the future 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links