Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

READY mode - locking car.

PAISLEY1903

Daft question, trawled through manual and can't find it but if I wanted to have car running in READY mode but locked when out it.. do I need to use the actual key or is there another way im missing.

• Like 1

You can't leave the car in Ready mode with the key out of the car ... it gets upset.

There's probably a legal issue or two as well.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, PAISLEY1903 said:

Daft question, trawled through manual and can't find it but if I wanted to have car running in READY mode but locked when out it.. do I need to use the actual key or is there another way im missing.

In older hybrids yes, manual key only. In latest ones with infotainment and connected services not sure, some other makes let you lock unlock, start the car remotely, pre condition the interior temp etc. let see other owners experience. 👍 For the key to work without issue it is a good idea to use it from time to time and spray some lube in, I use wd-40. 👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PAISLEY1903 said:

Can definitely be done but can't remember exactly. I left it to give the Battery some charge. I'm sure I just locked it with the physical key.

Straightforward, I have done it many times updating the maps. Leave the remote key in the car, suitably out of view and lock the car using the physical metal key extracted from the remote.

Yes, there is a little risk so I keep an eye on things and as Philip said, there is a legal issue if left unattended but then on a warm sunny day on my own driveway the engine hardly cuts in so no-one would know. Be sure though not to move from Park or DRL's would come on and make it obvious.

Peter

• Like 1

On 9/15/2022 at 6:35 PM, TonyHSD said:

.....For the key to work without issue it is a good idea to use it from time to time and spray some lube in, I use wd-40. 👍

I advise against WD40 - it leaves a sticky residue which traps dirt and accelerates wear on the lock tumblers.  Locks should be lubricated with graphite powder, which has the advantage of preventing moisture from freezing the lock in cold weather.

• Like 2

I don’t see any problems using wd-40 classic or silicone one, they are designed for that exact purpose therefore no issues, plus wd-40 attracts less amount of dust and dirt in comparison with other lubricants like thin oils. I wipe the excess after few days then the door hinges and locks are good for 3 months or more. I like the smell of it too 👍

WD40 dispels water really well for sure. I tend to use it as a default product if I don’t have something that’s specifically designed for the purpose as well as WD silicon spray and a  Teflon coating spray I have.

5 hours ago, ernieb said:

WD40 dispels water really well for sure. I tend to use it as a default product if I don’t have something that’s specifically designed for the purpose as well as WD silicon spray and a  Teflon coating spray I have.

Yes, it is a good water dispersant, but when it has evaporated the dispersant effect ceases, and the gummy residue grabs any dirt which may be introduced by the key, whereas the graphite powder works for years with no downside.  I have some in a little puffer bottle, and haven't had any issues with soiled clothes.  Provided the key is clean it does not seem to come out on it.  Of course, if the lock has previously been oiled, that's a different story.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links