Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Adaptive cruise control + lane keep assist

haelewyn

Hi all,

Does anyone of you have experience driving the Toyota ACC together with LKA ?

I am imagining my worst driving conditions are in rainy weather, dark, many lights in front of me of traffic

coming towards me and other lights for traffic driving the same direction..
I am getting a wee bit older, still have to go to work on rainy days , but that part of driving tends to get more hard.
I heard with other middle aged people and they seem to have the same problem.

What I am asking myself now :  
Would the Aygo (provided I would let it do that) be good at following f.e. a truck and keeping lane without me directing it ?
Or would it struggle in rainy weather too and automatically disengage ?

The new Aygo X seems to have a much higher level of self drivability..
If i saw right on test rides it wants you to have both hands on the steering wheel regularly (every x seconds) and is beeping to

urge the driver to do so.. ?

Or an other gadget (Envy and luxury models)  : the heated seats ... Did anybody try them out ? It looks like there is only on and off.. No 'speed' selectable.
Do these seats warm up slowly or fast ?
Giving a lot of heat or little ?

I only have my Yaris experience as I've not been in an aygox, but the auto-steer is very much an Assist; The ACC and auto-steer are about the level of a nervous learner driver in most conditions and will do a fairly good job of keeping a steady course and a constant speed, but the LKA gets confused easily by e.g. shadows covering the lines or badly painted lines, and the ACC sometimes acts like there is a bar between you and the car and the car in front so even if there is a big gap and the car in front brakes, instead of braking gently and using up the buffer gap, it'll brake much more forcefully than you'd expect. If the car in front speeds off, the ACC will also try to match their acceleration up to the set speed once the gap exceeds what you've told it to follow at, accelerating far too strongly.

It's not a bad system and takes a lot of the tedium and brain fatigue out of boring motorway runs, but it feels like a Version 1 or 1.5. Definitely nowhere near fully autonomous self-driving.

Ironically, the one thing people poopoo such systems for (i.e. that the driver will fall asleep) is not true - It will keep you alert because you're trying to anticipate when it'll do stupid stuff to catch it before it does  :laugh: 

• Thanks 2

I thought about it that way too : 
It will take some time for me to trust the car to drive at a speed of 100+ km / h while I am not controlling but the car is driving.
Don't know if i can do that..

An other idea about the pro's and con's for AYGO X .. 
Can't start a new topic all the time : 
The 18 inch tyres will be expensive. I thought about how much they would cost but I didn't want to know really until the order was signed.
Until now, not so many brands make them. 
Out here , I can find Falken / Michelin and Semperit.
Prices for summer tyres are around 150 euro per tyre.

Size is 175/60/18

11 hours ago, haelewyn said:

I thought about it that way too : 
It will take some time for me to trust the car to drive at a speed of 100+ km / h while I am not controlling but the car is driving.
Don't know if i can do that..

An other idea about the pro's and con's for AYGO X .. 
Can't start a new topic all the time : 
The 18 inch tyres will be expensive. I thought about how much they would cost but I didn't want to know really until the order was signed.
Until now, not so many brands make them. 
Out here , I can find Falken / Michelin and Semperit.
Prices for summer tyres are around 150 euro per tyre.

Size is 175/60/18

I have done it. Simply put you set the cruise control and let the car do its stuff. However, I am not a fan. It can be too easy to be diverted. Also the adaptive part is a pain in the rear end. Annoyingly so. I messed about with cruise control last week on an hour’s journey all motorway. I set the control to 70 mph. If a car overtakes you and pulls in front the system sees it and then brakes. There is usually no point in it braking for the car in front is going faster and is pulling away from you. Also if you have it on and you are slowed down because of a vehicle in front but then turn off the motorway up a slip road, the car sees nothing in front and puts the pedal to the metal. Very disconcerting. I understand that if I hold the button down for some time it will switch off this part of the cruise control and give the basic plain version. I must try it today.

• Thanks 1

Interesting to learn about how these tech systems works so I'm prepared for when I get the Yaris next year. The Lane assist will definitely be turn off for me driving in greater London! Pain having to do it on each start up though. 

I guess I will only use the ACC when I'm a bit fatigue on the motorway. System could be better in the future, but it's better to have it for scenario where the driver may fall asleep or have a seizure. 

I thought the Lane assist radar is one function that can be combined with the active steering system.
I doubt there are any other options.

On 10/24/2022 at 9:50 AM, haelewyn said:

I am imagining my worst driving conditions are in rainy weather, dark, many lights in front of me of 

That pretty much sums up the conditions when it would be most useful and is least effective. 

If you can't see the lane edges neither can it. 

On 10/25/2022 at 2:05 PM, haelewyn said:

Or an other gadget (Envy and luxury models)  : the heated seats ... Did anybody try them out ? It looks like there is only on and off.. No 'speed' selectable.
Do these seats warm up slowly or fast ?
Giving a lot of heat or little ?

My Yaris Cross has off/low/high and do work quickly.  Curiously there is no automatic cut out though there may be an overheat cutout. 

1 hour ago, haelewyn said:

I thought the Lane assist radar is one function that can be combined with the active steering system.
I doubt there are any other options.

It could be useful to link in blind spot monitoring.  

You are driving in lane  behind a slower vehicle, you indicate and the car will accelerate expecting you to change lanes. 

Obviously you will check your mirror first.  However if a car was in your blind spot you could move out or see it and forget to cancel your indicator.  The ACC remains overridden. 

All is not lost though as collision avoudence will then kick in. 

• Like 2

Hmm, most of the tyre sellers I use  don't have anything 175/60r18 or only have the Michelin ePrimacy :confused1:

The auto-steer feels a lot like driving in tramlines/lorry ruts in the road - The car will 'pull' in the direction it wants to go, but you can override it fairly easily.

You can disable it without disabling the LTA completely tho', which I often do when driving at sunset/dawn as the long shadows confuse the heck out of it and it beeps constantly as it keeps loosing its 'lock' on the road.

Amusingly, the system works surprisingly well at night - actually better than at dawn/sunset, as long as the lines have that IR-reflective paint or catseyes, as the headlights seem to reflect quite strongly, but it's hopeless on an unmarked country road :laugh: 

• Like 1

Yeah... 175/60r18 is really a rare size.

I hope some more decent makers will start producing this size.

Can't hope a lot that other car makers will start to make cars with this size of tyres.

If one day only semperit or Michelin would make this type, they would become awfully expensive.

Auto steer with lane assistance will be something like the automatisch parking system.

The one on my auris succes cause it kind of made strange moves to end up parked. The renault was better about that, also parked in spaces that were 90 degrees compared the road. I used it a few times to try it out.. later I noticed too that for every space where I had doubts,  the system didn't want to go in either.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links