Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Trying to diagnose an issue

MarcoWolf

So I've got a 2001 silver RAV4 AWD gas powered. I was sitting at a light when the engine just stopped. Didn't sputter or anything. Just stopped. It's not the Battery as that works just fine. It starts back up and then after a few moments the engine just does again for the most part. Even if you rev it it dies shortly after. Tow driver barely got it to drive up on the ramp of the truck to get it back home for me. I'm thinking maby fuel filter or pump. Any ideas or suggestions? Diagnostic tips?

Certainly does point to a fuel issue Matthew, could be blocked fuel filter or failing fuel pump 👍

Diagnostic is the first thing. Anything different happened prior to this event? Something like been driving through deep water, been just refilled with petrol at unusual place or something else that can us to any direction? 

• Like 2

It's Autumn, and leaves are falling.  This issue could be caused by a leaf getting into the fuel filler and intermittently blocking the pump inlet.  It has happened to me.

3 hours ago, IanML said:

It's Autumn, and leaves are falling.  This issue could be caused by a leaf getting into the fuel filler and intermittently blocking the pump inlet.  It has happened to me.

How unlucky Ian, a chance in a million 😃

The engine needs air and fuel, I'd replace the air filter and make sure the intake is clear.... and if that doesn't help move onto the fuel filter

On 11/11/2022 at 3:53 AM, MarcoWolf said:

a 2001 silver RAV4 AWD gas powered

Which engine is it Matthew?

Not sure on the engine exactly. Never had to think about it till now. Car always ran like a dream. The injectors are one of the things now on my checklist over the next few days when I have time to check. Middle of moving house but that's a very good suggestion. Main air filter is fairly new like within the last couple years. Cabin filter needs swapped for sure. I plan to check the filter as one of the top three options on my I think it's that list. Nothing unusual really other than a few months ago now I took quite the trip and moved from PA to WA. She needs an oil change but I don't think this issue is oil related. Could be wrong but I've heard engines seize from lack of oil or oil being too far gone this isn't that as that's quite loud usually. With this the engine starts fine, runs fine, then just suddenly the engine stops cold pretty much silently. Like maby it slows and stops. I have to have a friend crank it while I'm under the hood so I can hear it better to be sure.

20 hours ago, philip42h said:

Which engine is it Matthew?

20 hours ago, Hybrid21 said:

Are the injectors ok ?

On 11/11/2022 at 4:23 PM, RAV4-D4D said:

The engine needs air and fuel, I'd replace the air filter and make sure the intake is clear.... and if that doesn't help move onto the fuel filter

On 11/11/2022 at 12:25 AM, TonyHSD said:

Diagnostic is the first thing. Anything different happened prior to this event? Something like been driving through deep water, been just refilled with petrol at unusual place or something else that can us to any direction? 

On 11/11/2022 at 1:06 AM, IanML said:

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links