Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

CarPlay with USB

Ziya Adnan

On 4/2/2023 at 2:51 PM, Ziya Adnan said:

Graham;

there is no need to be sarcastic. There could be a specific SD card as it includes CarPlay and I was asking a polite question. Please don not bother replying as it gets annoying.

No it's no sarcasm. 😉 Simply iPhone has no microSD slot.   So you should save your music files in internal iPhone memory.

On 5/12/2024 at 9:57 PM, MardyMarvin said:

Some where on one of these forums people have bought a device which enables you to turn a none wireless carplay toyota into a wireless carplay. If you bought this device and then a usb hub and plugged the device into the usb hub and also a music stick I am not sure if this would work or not.

Perhaps something for you to research about but it will depend if toyota car will support multiple devices on a single usb port. But something else to think about

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CarPlay-Wireless-Bluetooth-Mercedes-2017-2023-Apple/dp/B0BWD31MRT/ref=sr_1_4?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.JXF77UE8EXviCw8sHGKC3KA04cA9g9kvDOap0a2VhDSle9pOzDQfUDAs47j-GlcV4mp2xHHhZQER0uMpZ-QbeOvjdDllaFjdfWBmZUh0OX9mncpoIfzjIDfRiAriASWF15gHgom81h8ireeXM4pqyImA4OIfWyXVTyKp9jh47GQdakbMCt76aIKOWv4-1oAwaEWuPtLIuNvSgKqP09WYHBsaVs3H59_naGhFmfmLuNc.GPVGygTYuZg8OQ_RgTvScVQ_GJcnT8UE1ra2z1MaflY&dib_tag=se&keywords=wireless+carplay&qid=1715547080&sr=8-4

Am researching this.  
will let you know results this week.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RickyC said:

No it's no sarcasm. 😉 Simply iPhone has no microSD slot.   So you should save your music files in internal iPhone memory.

iPhone pre 15 yes. Iphones with usb connectors support external storage like usb and sd card readers ( including micro to sd converters)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Paul john said:

Iphone pre 15 yes. Iphones with usb connectors support external storage like usb and sd card readers ( including micro to sd converters)

Ok but if you use the iPhone USB port to connect it to multimedia system to use Car Play I don't think you can use it at the same time also for a storage device.

2 hours ago, RickyC said:

Ok but if you use the iPhone USB port to connect it to multimedia system to use Car Play I don't think you can use it at the same time also for a storage device.

You can if its wireless CarPlay or bluetooth on models post 22

• Thanks 1

On 5/14/2024 at 9:53 PM, Paul john said:

Am researching this.  
will let you know results this week.

OK

After investing in a USB splitter Hub and a USB Tri Hub (Pics Below) I have found the following - enjoy:

Car - Prius MY20 / Head Unit - MY19 / iPhone 14pro (CarPlay enabled) / Usb1 Samsung 2Gb / Usb3 Generic 4Gb / Usb2 Multi Card Adapter with 8Gb SD Card / All Usb / SD formatted Fat32 and contain mp3

Plug Either hub or Daisy chained with all USB and iPhone plugged in to a Mac or PC and it sees all devices, no drama.

Now here is where it gets interesting- Plugging into Car Usb... dot dot dot

1 - usb splitter with any usb combination - source list on head unit shows the Label of the Usb/SD card as source and plays.

2 - usb splitter with usb / iPhone or iPhone wifi unit plugged in - source plays from either source but iPhone sources are as an ipod and CarPlay does not initialise

3 - usb splitter with any usb combination and iPhone connected with bluetooth - 3 sources for music in Audio, all play.

4 - Usb Hub with 3 sources plugged in in any combination - head unit says TOO MANY USB

5 - Usb Hub plugged into usb splitter or Usb Splitter plugged into Usb hub - head unit says TOO MANY HUBS

6 - Usb Hub in 1/2/3 as above, same results.

Conclusion:

Certainly with the MY19 Head Unit and I would suspect the same result from a MY17 and MY15 units fitted to the 2016/2019 revisions of the MK4 Prius and since Toyota (Panasonic) apply the same logic to their head unit builds by generation I would think these results are cross model specific.

The Usb logic of the Head unit seems flawed in the fact that it cannot differentiate between protocols, so your choices are 2 Usb MAX plus (optional) bluetooth OR CarPlay/AA No bluetooth.

It feels a little like Gandalf vs the Balrog... Thou Shall not Pass.

IMG_0326.JPG

IMG_0327.JPG

IMG_0328.JPG

IMG_0329.JPG

IMG_0330.JPG

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links