Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Keys!

Jo U

we've just bought a 2021 Yaris Design and I'm loving it so far. 
However, I've found a problem with the keys. We were given a remote fob and a spare key which has no remote functionality. My husband and I share the car and currently he has the remote fob. He locked the car with the fob yesterday and I went to open it this morning using the spare. The alarm was activated and only disabled when I started the engine. It would seem that the remote fob sets the alarm, but the spare doesn't disable the alarm. The car knows the door is opened, but doesn't know it's a key so the alarm goes off. I may not have explained that well, sorry. 
Is this correct?
If so, what is the cheapest way to get a spare coded fob so we can both set and disable to alarm?

Many thanks

• Like 1

Your supposition is correct. 

Keywise I don't know. 

Thank you for confirming the theory. 

I guess I'm in the market for a second key fob!

The last three Toyotas I have had, (admittedly they were new), all came with a little metal tag on one of the key rings giving the key number. Is there a key tag on one of your keys? Maybe a local Toyota dealer could find the number if you do not have it and maybe get you a spare key fob. It's worth asking.

Danny, I have two keys, no tag. I asked my dealer and he said they had stopped.  I didn't believe him but didn't press him. 

I think if you have one key you can clone a second. 

Jo, ask the dealer.  Try Timpsons.  Try any key shop. 

• Like 1

Double-check with the dealer, but someone here reckoned they only supplied one remote key due to the chip shortage, and were supposed to supple a second one later with no extra charge.

Otherwise the easiest and least hassle (But most expensive) way of getting an extra key is still via a dealer. I wouldn't use a third-party unless they can source a genuine key, as AFAIK nobody else makes keys that can do the remote stuff, only start the car.

• Like 1

This is a 21 car.  I got 2 keys in Sep 22.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

My 21 Design only had one plip key.  They little tag could be in the document wallet but Toyota should know it off the VIN No.

• Like 1

It depends on the spec of the car base model have a keyed ignition - you get supplied with 1 fob and 1 key

Timpsons are useless and will only be able to clone a key

a fob supplied and programmed from a main stealer is £250-£350

it depends on what fob you have, there is a cheaper option if you don't mind having a key and separate fob

Part number for an additional "Flip" style key is 89070-K0090-84 when ordered via Toyota this will be cut to match the car but still requires coding into the remote locking/immobiliser the key is £112.50 + vat and add approx' half an hours labour at an average of around £50-£70 + vat

• Like 2

If the free key not a thing then...?

I swear someone said all Mk4's were supposed to come with 2 fully functional keys - 2 Smart keys for keyless, or 2 remote keys for normal ones, but due to shortages they only supplied 1 for the lower-spec cars with the intent to add one when shortages eased...

In fact I'm sure there is a post where someone got this second key without having to pay...

• Like 1

Thank you all for the help and advice. 
The dealer confirms £250-£300 for a duplicate remote fob 😱

We've considered trying to jolly along with 1 fob on the basis of whichever of us is driving takes it, but we just know that at some point one of us will wander off with it leaving the other stranded. 

I know these fobs have technology in them and are secured to the car, but really £250-£300 for a replacement/duplicate sounds like a money making machine to me. I'd challenge anyone to prove the cost is genuine. 

• Like 3

Back in 2013, when we bought two new Mazdas, they came with one remote and one standard key. We bought additional remote keys at £150 each (£220 at todays value) - so 10 years later £250-300 with advances in tech, security, etc isn't too bad. The cost also includes programming. Equivalent to 1.3-1.8% of your car's likely purchase price.

Not too different to other manufacturers costs for an equivalent item.

At the end of the day, it depends on whether you want the convenience of an additional remote .....

• Like 1

Get a used key off eBay iirc it's the same as the Mk3 yaris/Aygo flip key, you can just use the fob to lock/unlock the car and the key with the chip to start it - that will save on getting it cut and the immobiliser programmed

eg.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155527486296

pop the cover off the your fob and see what the Valeo part number is to confirm

Same here on my 21 Yaris Design, one fob and one bog standard basic key.

22 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

Part number for an additional "Flip" style key is 89070-K0090-84 when ordered via Toyota this will be cut to match the car but still requires coding into the remote locking/immobiliser the key is £112.50 + vat and add approx' half an hours labour at an average of around £50-£70 + vat

Can you confirm whether all MK4 new cars have 2x remote fob. 

• Like 1

One remote key provided with our Mk4 icon, bought new in May 21, and one none remote, told this was normal and that we could use either, of course as you know, you can't because of the alarm issue.

Bought a second key from dealer but then following a negative review on their follow up survey they paid for the key.

Try getting goodwill from the dealer; stress you expected 2 operational keys and they didn't explain there would only be one. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Stephen_52 said:

One remote key provided with our Mk4 icon, bought new in May 21, and one none remote, told this was normal and that we could use either, of course as you know, you can't because of the alarm issue.

Bought a second key from dealer but then following a negative review on their follow up survey they paid for the key.

Try getting goodwill from the dealer; stress you expected 2 operational keys and they didn't explain there would only be one. 

Getting a design MK4. If they only give me one remote I will reject the car. 

• Like 3

I had been reading this thread immediately before picking up my Yaris Cross 29/04/23. When I picked it up, i was given 2 fobs. I queried him about how some people were only getting 1 fob. He said it was just a shortage of chips a while ago, and everything was back to normal. So make what you will of that.

• Like 3

Good to know it’s the case. Anyone buying a used approved from a dealer can argue and ask for a spare key worth £300 as part of the deal or knock off some cash to cover the expense. 

• Like 2

You get 2 fobs with smart entry and go, you get 1 flip key and 1 standard key with car with a keyed ignition (usually the lower spec cars)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

Can you confirm whether all MK4 new cars have 2x remote fob. 

My design did when I got it last year.

• Like 2

Lot's of speculation and incorrect information here at present so I will try and clear it up.

With the introduction of MK4 Yaris

• Icon & Design where supplied with 1x Remote "flip" key and 1x non remote non flip key,
  • Dynamic, Excel & Launch Edition with keyless entry/start where supplied with 2x Smart keys.

In the case of Icon & Design the single remote key was unusual, differed from MK3 Yaris previously and was not well received by dealers or customers so to address this Toyota GB customer relations agreed to offer 1x Flip key free of charge in conjunction with dealers (with Toyota paying for the key & dealer the labour cost) this however is limited to first buyers not second hand sales and owner/drivers only not dealer demos/courtesy cars, fleet or rental companies.

Icon & Design's built from June 2021 production where supplied with a second Flip remote key as standard.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From November 2022 production due to microchip shortages C-HR, Highlander, Mirai, Prius, Land Cruiser, Rav4 & Camry were suppled with 1 complete Smart key and 1x emergency key blade. From January 23 production normal key supply was resumed for customers that received a car with 1 x key fob missing Toyota have instigated a Customer satisfaction campaign to contact affected owners, invite them back to dealers and have the missing remote supplied and coded in. 

All the information is with dealers however parts stock is not expected until late May once the stock arrives invitations will commene.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for clearing this up. My MK3 icon came with 2 remote fobs. Over 20 years old MK1 with 2 remote keys. In 2020 to come with 1 remote fob is very bad, poor practice and well deserved own goal. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links