Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fitting Smart Charger

Ken57

I know water and electric don't mix but I had a power drill and pump.  It fell into the pond.  The drill kept running and the fish kept swimming. 

Even worse, at work we had a power room in a below floor tank.  I was amazed when they lifted the floor hatch.  The tank was brim full, 7 feet of water.  The power cabinet lights were all glowing happily. 

Don't ask me to explain it. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Derek.w said:

Yes its rear passanger door the rubber seal around the door frame just gives and springs back aftwards if you not sure then try it out using a old flex and look for damage you wont find any.

Another method is to buy a low voltage extension cable for the 12 volt side but then you looking for some sort of box to house the charger in plus someone might just pinch it.

You can also use a 30mA trip pluged into your mains socket.

You can always buy a waterproof socket IP66 rated some are on the market as extension leads.

• Like 2

I have one but you still need to shut a lead in the door.

Put any thicker piece of spare cable in the door, close, open, check for witness marks. 

I have a long cable from my phone master socket to my router in a different room.  It is a flat cable and the  door is a tight fit.  The cable is creased, but 5 years later there has been no problem. 

• Like 2

my solution:
completely closed car without cables around the door
I have 3 types of controls as needed:
manually - by opening the trunk
via Wi-Fi ecoflow - range of about 50 meters outdoor space
via 4G LTE USB wifi router + SIM card - worldwide reach 🙂
in combination with an alarm linked to a mobile phone

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Dala, interesting solution.  What was the problem? 

In other words, what are we seeing and what does it do? 

charging car Battery without electric cables 220V around the car
no problem - just maintenance of the car Battery in good condition when the car is parked for a longer period of time

this assembly is able to charge and maintain the car Battery for approx. 70 - 80 hours without interruption

And how much did all that kit cost ! 🫣

Toyota have provided an easily accessible jumpstart/ Battery charging point under the bonnet, if the car needs jumpstarting you don't faff around lifting the rear seat or removing panels to jumpstart you use the terminal in the fusebox, same with charging IMO  

• Like 3

On 5/15/2023 at 8:46 PM, Tommy X said:

Charge it from the jump start terminal in the fuse box under the bonnet

Echo? 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 5/16/2023 at 3:06 PM, anchorman said:

I don’t find it any trouble charging from the jump point in the fuse box. I suppose it’s down to some people’s instinct to avoid opening the bonnet but I don’t want wires trailing out of the door - mainly because I’m daft enough to forget it and drag the lot with me.  I reckon the fuse box method is just as quick.  I’m a mechanic by trade and used to teach car maintenance and I used to say, don’t wait until it’s dark and you’re in the middle of nowhere in the rain to practice changing a wheel, do it on a nice dry Sunday out on your drive.  Same here, don’t be frightened by that fuse box, go and have a look at it.  

Can you charge the Battery from the fuse box or must you gor to the actual Battery.

I go away for 4/5 weeks at a time and the car is always dead. I tried using portable instant starters it didnt work, i had to use a full blown Battery charger that I borrowed to start it.

Any advice as to what I should buy?

1 hour ago, kevin turnill said:

Can you charge the battery from the fuse box or must you gor to the actual battery.

I go away for 4/5 weeks at a time and the car is always dead. I tried using portable instant starters it didnt work, i had to use a full blown battery charger that I borrowed to start it.

Any advice as to what I should buy?

I’ve got a Gooloo 3000 but it will only work on the boost setting then it works a treat.  I use the jump connector in the fuse box for both charging and jump start (never had to jump start mine but I have on others).

• Like 2

Kevin, first thing, don't risk buying a cheap charger.

NOCO and CTEK figure frequently here.  I use a CTEK5

• Like 4

I am using solar panels for charging at the moment its free electric without any mains power lead running into the house.

IMG_0989.thumb.PNG.3f8a2c89d4149f032269eb5f0704a092.PNG

I am still in the process of setting it up it not a open the box item that ready to use.

• Like 2

Derek, I think a properly installed solar panel is a 'good' solution if you avoid the obvious pitfalls:

Park in the open.  Park with a Southern aspect.  Don't rely on it in winter with less daylight and potentially heavy cloud cover. 

• Like 3

On 4/26/2024 at 8:31 AM, Roy124 said:

Derek, I think a properly installed solar panel is a 'good' solution if you avoid the obvious pitfalls:

Park in the open.  Park with a Southern aspect.  Don't rely on it in winter with less daylight and potentially heavy cloud cover. 

I agree with most of what you say, but parking the street I am on the options are West or east facing.

I am now just short of my target set voltage of 14.22 volts (this is adjustable so its my prefered maximum).

The difficult part is setting the up the MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracking).

Todays results.

IMG_0990.thumb.PNG.25125aa379fbb1eb25606952a6ec53b1.PNG

11 hours ago, Derek.w said:

I agree with most of what you say, but parking the street I am on the options are West or east facing.

So, given a choice, which do you prefer?

Recently we have experienced bright sunshine through 9am with cloud cover during the day and clear skies from 6pm.

12 hours ago, Roy124 said:

So, given a choice, which do you prefer?

Recently we have experienced bright sunshine through 9am with cloud cover during the day and clear skies from 6pm.

I prefer to park with car bonnet facing West if I park facing East then by the time the fog clears it can be 11 oclock in the morning on some days.

• Haha 1

On 4/26/2024 at 8:31 AM, Roy124 said:

A lot of cloud cover plus rain today but still a good result maybe sun poked it head through the clouds late in the afternoon.

IMG_0992.thumb.PNG.6d3fb319028cc4df055182dffded21b6.PNG

12 hours ago, Derek.w said:

I prefer to park with car bonnet facing West if I park facing East then by the time the fog clears it can be 11 oclock in the morning on some days.

Agree, whilst no fog we have had more sunlight PM (he said with bright sun warming his back).

I have been monitoring our home solar panels now in for 10 months.   We have had a modest amount of benefit over winter but a step change in April with double the monthly benefit. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links