Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Do you think the Yaris/Yaris cross will go full electric?

Primus1

Will Toyota make them completely electric in the not too distant future?, the ford puma electric is out next year and, as certainly in the cross’s case one of its competitors, will the Yaris be ditched like ford has done with the fiesta?, as the ban on ice cars gets nearer, even hybrids, surely it makes sense for Toyota to electrify two of its most popular models…?

• Like 2

I think Hybrids are not banned at the same date as ice cars.

Its 2035 for Hybrid cars in the UK not sure about mild hybrids cars.

• Like 1

Think Toyota will have replacements for the Yaris and Yaris Cross under the BZ branding ......

"15 BEVs, including 7 Toyota bZ BEVs, will be introduced globally by 2025"

https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/toyota/35083987.html

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

I think Hybrids are not banned at the same date as ice cars.

Its 2035 for Hybrid cars in the UK not sure about mild hybrids cars.

I could be wrong, but the actual wording was Hybrids that have a significant EV-only range, so I think in reality it'll only be PHEVs that get the 5 year extension.

I can't see them making a Yaris EV unless there is a major Battery breakthrough; The Cross maybe, as there is more space to stuff a Battery into.

The fact that all of the BZ-branded vehicles shown bar one are SUVs of some sort (IIRC) seems to support this.

Welp, as far as I'm concerned they have 10 years, as that's how long I'm anticipating keeping my Mk4 for!! I'm not going near an EV until my previously mentioned criteria have been met...!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Primus1 said:

Will Toyota make them completely electric in the not too distant future?

I think you are conflating two different things. Some future BEV and the Yaris name.

Toyota will almost certainly develop a small/mid-size BEV. They might or might not call it a Yaris in some markets.

You need to think internationally with car stuff. Where you live is likely a single data point in the Toyota universe.

• Like 5

Most on here in ten years will have an EV of sorts 😉

4%20Kymco%20Komfy%204%203.jpg?width=1200

I can see the small EV market is going to be swamped in 5-10 years there are only a few on the market that are mainly all based on the PSA platform

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

Most on here in ten years will have an EV of sorts 😉

4%20Kymco%20Komfy%204%203.jpg?width=1200

I can see the small EV market is going to be swamped in 5-10 years there are only a few on the market that are mainly all based on the PSA platform

I hope they come with cruise control…😆

• Haha 6

21 hours ago, Cyker said:

I could be wrong, but the actual wording was Hybrids that have a significant EV-only range, so I think in reality it'll only be PHEVs that get the 5 year extension.

I can't see them making a Yaris EV unless there is a major battery breakthrough; The Cross maybe, as there is more space to stuff a battery into.

The fact that all of the BZ-branded vehicles shown bar one are SUVs of some sort (IIRC) seems to support this.

Welp, as far as I'm concerned they have 10 years, as that's how long I'm anticipating keeping my Mk4 for!! I'm not going near an EV until my previously mentioned criteria have been met...!

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/jul/04/toyota-claims-battery-breakthrough-electric-cars

Alas one of many claims but firmly in the I'll believe it when I see it category...

I reckon we're 7-10 years out from any of these super amazing industry disrupting miracle batteries that have been announced and promised coming to market, and that's being optimistic!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

Alas one of many claims but firmly in the I'll believe it when I see it category...

I reckon we're 7-10 years out from any of these super amazing industry disrupting miracle batteries that have been announced and promised coming to market, and that's being optimistic!

From what I've read there is a lot of industrial focus on procuring lithium and other minerals for 'current tech' batteries over the next several or many years, so I think you are probably right.

I'm sure there will be a breakthrough, or two, eventually, but it won't be in any showroom soon. And for a few years after it won't be cheap ... because ...

• Like 4

Tin foil hat stuff

The illuminati and governments have suppressed Battery technology for decades as oil makes 100's billions if not trillions in revenue worldwide, money corrupts all

Not my view on the subject, might I just add

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Battery electric cars might get banned and disappear from the market before ice and hybrids. Something that has happened 100 years ago and as we all know history repeats. Many were saying Toyota too late to the ev game and similar thoughts but it might turn out that they were one of the first with electrification of their cars and seen the + and - from the whole situation. 
Having few evs is one thing, making, using and recycle millions of bevs is completely different. ICE are bad for environment, the bevs 100 times more. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

and seen the + and -

That's batteries for you ... 🤣 😍

• Haha 3

The answer is quite simple…hamsters…imagine those little critters powering millions of hamster wheels generating thousands of kilowatts, I’m setting up such a venture if you all send me, say  £20 , you too could be in on this exciting opportunity……

• Haha 4

Hydrogen is the way forward. Why have the Chinese spent all this money on the technology?

Toyota seem to be strong supporters of hydrogen power but it hasn’t stopped them producing electric cars.  Wonder what their model line up will look like in 5 years time.

• Like 1

Hydrogen is just the fossil fuel companies' way to (try to) stay in the game. It might make sense in long distance transport (shipping, aircraft) but for cars and building heating there are too many downsides.

I don't disagree about many of the problems with the current EV ecosystem, but hydrogen is not going to be the solution.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

Hydrogen is the way forward. Why have the Chinese spent all this money on the technology?

It's the great Chinese bubble, take an idea and use it and over produce until you kill that industry - Boom and Bust

Hire Bikes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlms-8zEcCg

Electric cars

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2023-china-ev-graveyards/

Whole cities

https://www.atlasobscura.com/things-to-do/china/ghost-towns

Then you have tofu dreg

https://youtu.be/s-2DtL-Wjkc?si=jy66F1Ml8JvnpP1e

• Like 1

Solid state batteries will be a game changer 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

Hydrogen is the way forward.

I hope you know how much energy is required to extract that hydrogen?

Plus the cost of a replacement  "fuel cell" when it goes belly up?

Electric motor is the future of propulsion of vehicles that drives on the ground for sure, the batteries as of current technology are not 100% positive, these are good for torches and electric scooters at most and perhaps some ultra compact cars. 

• Like 1

There is research going on into safe direct hydrogen combustion.

That said, if a cheaper way to produce hydrogen was found, I'd be happy with a hydrogen fuel cell version of the petrol hybrid I have now.  City centres would be a lot nicer if all the cars were just spitting out water and not carbon monoxied.

Trouble is a lot of things need to come to fruition at the same time.   If we had abundant cheap, clean energy, then the cost issue goes away and we could persue hydrogen for domestic energy and private transport.

The government made a huge mistake when it mandated a single technology, EVs, rather than mandating a reduction and encouraging innovate solutions.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Electric motor is the future of propulsion of vehicles that drives on the ground for sure, the batteries as of current technology are not 100% positive, these are good for torches and electric scooters at most and perhaps some ultra compact cars. 

Good for hauling my fat a4se around on my e bike 🤦‍♂️😂😂

• Haha 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links