Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

!.5 Yaris Hybrid replacement hybris battery?

sproutdreamer

I drove one yesterday, salesman said the hybrid Battery guaranteed by Toyota for 15 years -reading on this I can see only 8 years mentioned? Also what is the real cost of the hybris Battery, salesman said £800 but online costs look to be more £2-3k. Where is the truth on this?

19 minutes ago, sproutdreamer said:

salesman said the hybrid battery guaranteed by Toyota for 15 years

Toyota services include a hybrid health check. After the new car warranty, a Toyota service extends the hybrid Battery warranty by 1 year.

https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/toyota-warranty

If servicing is done outside of the Toyota dealer network, one can currently have a hybrid health check done at your cost (around £50 at present), which will extend the hybrid Battery warranty in the same way.

The hybrid Battery extended warranty can cover the car up to 15 years from date of first registration. Although if a hybrid health check is done prior to the 15th year anniversary (eg. at 14 years 11 months), the hybrid battery extended warranty, can go beyond the 15th year anniversary.

• Like 2

£2-3k is more realistic price.
£800 can’t even buy you a new clutch set from the dealer.
Salesman are just talking again….

• Like 2

It could be; Remember, the Mk4's Battery is *tiny* - It's not even close to a single kilowatt-hour! Even the Mk3 Yaris' Battery is near twice the capacity of the Mk4's!

That cost would only be the Battery tho' - The labour costs to swap it out would be significant, as half the interior would need to be removed to get at it!

• Like 3

800 likely just for the Battery, + labour on top, expect at least £2k at dealer. Have not heard of even the MK3 hybrid had damaged HV Battery

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

New battery is £1251 + vat + installation

Thank you for the information. 
Do you know how much could it be the labour for fitting the Battery and any idea of the price for hybrid Battery on Auris hybrid 2010? 
Many Thanks 

• Like 2

Problem is that at 15 years old (expected/warranted Battery life) the cost of replacement is about what the car will be worth. So it's unlikely to be economical to replace it unless the car is in excellent nick and you are going to keep it for many more years.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, MikeSh said:

Problem is that at 15 years old (expected/warranted battery life) the cost of replacement is about what the car will be worth. 

It will be interesting to see how much a new Battery will cost in 15 years.

• Like 4

In UK there are auto electricians that offer refurbishing service to Toyota hybrid batteries, as far as I remember prices start from around  £500 or so. I personally think that unless done as diy on the cheap side , just price of cells it is not a good value to pay someone to do it for you. For example replacing a couple of worn out cells on an old Battery, very likely  soon after more will fail. It’s either a new one from Toyota with warranty or under warranty or diy with replacement Battery from a salvage car, something with lower miles and less year. 👍

• Like 3

See that's about what a clutch job would cost so much more palatable. Also, in 15 years, I'd hope there are pack upgrades like there are with the Prius that increase the capacity and throughput, and/or reduce the weight!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Thank you for the information. 
Do you know how much could it be the labour for fitting the battery and any idea of the price for hybrid battery on Auris hybrid 2010? 
Many Thanks 

Remove & refit time for a NHP130 Yaris is 1.5 hours

£1198.94 + vat & 1.6 hours for your ZWE150 Auris

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

It will be interesting to see how much a new battery will cost in 15 years.

In 15 years time finding a petrol station might be harder than it is today finding a vacant, working, public charge-point 🤪

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

Remove & refit time for a NHP130 Yaris is 1.5 hours

£1198.94 + vat & 1.6 hours for your ZWE150 Auris

Thanks a lot. 
The price is ok for a traction Battery

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MikeSh said:

In 15 years time finding a petrol station might be harder than it is today finding a vacant, working, public charge-point 🤪

70% of all UK residents have off street parking so will only need public charging when they venture near the cars range limit, only 4.5% of all car drivers cover more than 41 miles per day (link below) therefore I  dont think the struggle for a working charger is going to be anywhere near as bad as you make it out.

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/car-industry-news/2023/02/27/less-than-5-of-vehicles-are-driven-over-15-000-miles-a-year

The Guardian also states -

There were more than 8,700 public chargers installed in the UK during the year to 22 December, bringing the total available to more than 37,000, according to Zap-Map, a data company. That represented a 30% year-on-year increase, slower than the 38% annual growth in sales of Battery electric cars during the year to November.

This number will increase as the number of new EV's are sold for those that may need public charging occasionally 

Also In  15 years time those owners  who regularly *travel close to the maximum range wont be wasting their  time waiting at a public EV charger they will will simply swap them!

*in 15 years time Battery range could be many times more than it is today meaning the whole lack of public charging point issue could be a non story!

image.png

6 minutes ago, hind said:

We might even not own a car at all 😛

I think it will be many many years before we reach the point where we gladly give up our cars and move to public transport, i am glad i will not be around to see it.

1 hour ago, Max_Headroom said:

I think it will be many many years before we reach the point where we gladly give up our cars and move to public transport, i am glad i will not be around to see it.

Nor me, but feel for the people who are old and disabled when that happens,as for many it will mean being housebound.

Btw, there is a newish (3-4 weeks old) bank of 6 chargers at the large car park around the corner.

Every single one of them had a big blue plastic hood on them yesterday,all not working.

Another 2 newish ones at the McDonald's car park nearby, I don't know how long it takes to charge a car, but like all McDonald's there is a 90 minute limit on parking there before a grasping private parking company pretends to "fine"any car over the time limit.

• Like 1

therefore I  dont think the struggle for a working charger is going to be anywhere near as bad as you make it out.

You misread my intent, though to be fair I eventually realised it was poorly worded but was too late to edit it.

What I meant was that today it can be a trial to get a public recharge for an EV, but getting fuel is easy. In 15 years time the positions may be reversed.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

I don't know how long it takes to charge a car, but like all McDonald's there is a 90 minute limit on parking there before a grasping private parking company pretends to "fine"any car over the time limit.

Well you cannot really blame them they are a business and its the EV owners responsibility to make sure they dont stay longer than 90 minutes.

19 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

You misread my intent, though to be fair I eventually realised it was poorly worded but was too late to edit it.

What I meant was that today it can be a trial to get a public recharge for an EV, but getting fuel is easy. In 15 years time the positions may be reversed.

I can only speak for area where i live and work, at the last count we had 10 chargers,  we have a pair of chargers in each of the three pay n display car parks and four in the supermarket on the outskirts of town,  i use one car park regularly and have never seen both chargers in use at the same time, maybe in some places finding a charger can be a pain but i wonder how much of this negative stuff is Chinese whispers and put out there by the EV haters amongst us.

i wonder how much of this negative stuff is Chinese whispers and put out there by the EV haters amongst us.

I had an EV before getting the Yaris, and one of the main reasons for going back was how hard it was to go on holiday. And that was with a car that could comfortably do 400 miles on a full charge.

I'm sure things are improving, but with more EVs on the roads there will still be competition for chargers on occasions. When that happens you can be basically stuck for hours.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hind said:

We might even not own a car at all 😛

If the 15 minute prison I mean city projects get green-lit that will become a likely possibility :sad: 

12 minutes ago, Cyker said:

If the 15 minute prison I mean city projects get green-lit that will become a likely possibility

But we'll have self-driving taxis readily available ... maybe.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links