Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris mk1 USB panel retrofit

2003YarisT3

Hi all 

I am looking to fit a usb panel into the dashboard of my facelift mk1 Yaris.  I was thinking to fit it into the blanking plug on the dashboard next to the headlight levelling switch.

I have found a usb panel on eBay which has the dimension that would fit into the space without having to glue or screw it in. 

I comes with the cable to fit onto the Battery but was going to take power for it from the fuse box using one of those piggy back fuse adapters. 

has anyone tried to fit one of these before and,  if so any tips ?

TIA

IMG_8531.jpeg

IMG_8532.png

Should be a shoo-in, but would recommend a max 5amp fuse. Anything you plug in shouldn't take more than about 2amp, assuming your purchased adapter is 5v/10w. What does it say on the packaging?

This is a generalised statement but based on external usb adapters offering "high power", rather than the USB standard set for computers and the like.

that location is not great  tbh, you don't really want any loose cables around the steering wheel area

• 1 month later...

Hi all I have an update …

After waiting a few weeks the part arrived from eBay so I got straight to work. My first thought was to just get the USB part fitted into the blanking space on the dashboard , turns out I brought the wrong size so spend a few day sanding the plastic down to fit. 

After this I popped down to Halfords and got a mini piggyback fuse lead and some assorted fuses.  I crimped the positive from the usb lead to the piggyback lead and plugged it into the acc fuse on the fuse box. Next I removed the footwell trim and grounded the black cable to a bolt. 

gave everything a test and it works ! 

As for the location i agree having loose cables isn’t safe however i have a phone holder on the windscreen and will only be using one of the small charging cables so nothing will be swinging around 

Also thats for the replies !

IMG_9007.jpeg

IMG_9006.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Personally I wouldn't mind the location; I never use my phone while driving - not even for navigation, so I usually have it in my pocket or in one of the many small storage units (often the one beside the parking brake or one of the cup holders) - but with this location I would probably have in the shelf under the steering wheel where I also keep the box with my sunglasses, the door pocket or even in the door handle.

The first generation Yaris have so many amazing storage facilities!

• Like 2

Yeah, it's one thing I really miss in my Mk4!! The Mk1 and Mk2 had sooooo many places to put stuff without worrying about them flying off into a footwell or something. And the sliding rear seats! Both sorely missed...

• Like 2

My Mk3 is lacking storage space in the dash & usually I end up using the cup holders.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Richard Davies said:

My Mk3 is lacking storage space in the dash & usually I end up using the cup holders.

There's a really "useful shelf", above the glovebox, to stash a pepperoni sausage or two. Pre facelift Mk3.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/1/2024 at 7:39 PM, Cyker said:

Yeah, it's one thing I really miss in my Mk4!! The Mk1 and Mk2 had sooooo many places to put stuff without worrying about them flying off into a footwell or something. And the sliding rear seats! Both sorely missed...

Believe it or not, but I am actually using the passenger side compartment for CDs (the case for my TNS DVD and a music CD from a Danish with the album title "Fantastiske Toyota"). Under the passenger seat I store the handbook, the manuals and keys for my roof bars, skiholders and bicycle rack as well as a printed copy of the brochure (I wish I could find an original) - which shows the CD storage like so, and small reem of paper with my Yaris pen. The clove box has some tissues, some spare bulbs, and maybe a few other things (I don't remember if I have my torque tool for the roof bar there or under the seat with the keys and manuals). Top compartment I mostly just keep chewing gum. Under the wheel I mainly have my sunglasses.

Yariscockpit.thumb.png.6a418d1494a0e6d7184efc1323a0b842.png Yarisstorage.thumb.png.aeaed5a8e214d45484d1246afddbe050.png
(The catalouge is the Danish 2003 edition and car shown is a "linea Sol" (top speced variant) indicated by chrome/leather gear stick (similar to T-Sport), remote buttons on the steering wheel (leather), electrical windows and central locking system as well as sluminium coloured control panel for the ventilation and door handles and coloured bumper lines - they show the standard variant "Terra" in other parts of the catalouge as well as the T-Sport variant of course - but look: There is room for five CDs! On each side - enough for a really long drive for sure 😉 )

• Like 2

On 3/2/2024 at 9:57 AM, Slartybartfast said:

There's a really "useful shelf", above the glovebox, to stash a pepperoni sausage or two. Pre facelift Mk3.

My wife uses it to keep a paper fan in, just in case she wants to cool down but it isn't hot enough for the air conditioning.

3 hours ago, Richard Davies said:

but it isn't hot enough for the air conditioning.

I don't understand. If you're too warm it's time for air-conditioning, or opening a window if the outside is cool enough.

12 hours ago, MikeSh said:

I don't understand. If you're too warm it's time for air-conditioning, or opening a window if the outside is cool enough.

Well.................................. women over a certain age...................... may suddenly become hot and require intermittent cooling, if not this could lead to a blown gasket and yourself being exiled to the shed

• Haha 6

On 3/9/2024 at 1:18 AM, MikeSh said:

I'm not too keen on driving at speed with the windows open, due to the road noise.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Richard Davies said:

I'm not too keen on driving at speed with the windows open, due to the road noise.

Which is why we have aircon ...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2024 at 11:18 AM, 2003YarisT3 said:

IMG_8531.jpeg

I was wondering a bit why my cover was rounded and not straight edged - I then looked at the brochure photos I've shared and I have been looking at the wrong cover - I need to check my Yaris again (tomorrow - I am in the Camry today).

Then slightly off topic, I was first thinking "this must be a phase 1 - I don't have those coin holders" - but no, it has phase 2 air wents - back to the catalouge: and I really don't have those coin holders since my Yaris has electric mirrors and the coin holder is at the location of the controls of the mirrors - so many lovely, tiny details once you start to get nerdy 😂

On 3/8/2024 at 9:21 PM, Richard Davies said:

My wife uses it to keep a paper fan in, just in case she wants to cool down but it isn't hot enough for the air conditioning.

You lose the benefit of automatic air conditioning if you turn it off.  Mine never ever gets turned off, it’s left to run as it should.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all just a quick update about the usb panel 

I have found out that it only turns on and charges when the heater fans are turned on (hot or cold)

any ideas why this is ? 
TIA

Are you 100% sure it's connected to the "acc." fuse and not A.C.? Or does that fuse supply anything else? Presumably, without checking, that fuse (ACC.) powers the 12v socket?

• Like 4

Slartybartfast 

thanks for your reply , turns out I did use the A.C fuse 🤦‍♂️. Have now changed it to the ACC one above and it’s working fine 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Excellent, thanks for the update.

• Like 3

Just to demonstrate you are not alone Jared, and off topic, when I installed my Dashcam and "piggybacked" of the ACC fuse, I found a perfect nearby bolt for an earth and connected the ring terminal to that.

Lo and behold, no power to the Dashcam. Whatever I tried it wouldn't power on. I didn't think of even trying it plugged directly into the 12v socket.🙄 Thinking that it was faulty, and all set to remove and return, I fortunately found the issue. The bolt I had used was not connected to the car's body directly. Used another bolt - perfection.😇

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links