Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Difficulty closing bonnet.

Jupiter

I've had my iq about seven months; very pleased with it. I topped up the windscreen wash today, and had trouble closing the bonnet, or rather, it wouldn't catch. Any ideas or info about what causes this? 

Hi Linda,over time, the bonnet latch mechanism can become misaligned slightly. This can make it difficult for the latch to catch properly. There might be debris stuck in the latch mechanism, preventing it from fully engaging. In less common cases, the latch itself might be broken or malfunctioning. Make sure the bonnet is properly aligned before trying to close it. You might find a diagram or instructions in your car's manual 

Open the bonnet fully and take a look at the latch mechanism. Use a rag or compressed air to remove any dirt or debris that might be lodged. Failing all this you may be better taking it into a garage for them to have a look.Hope this helps :smile:

Have you tried the age old trick of holding the bonnet lid about waist height and just simply letting go.

the bonnets weight/momentum should latch even if the latch is slightly out of trim. 

I did indeed try that trick Paul; it didn't work!

It's quite light, as bonnets go, maybe that's why.

Bob, thank you; good advice. I had a good look, nothing seemed bent or damaged, but then, it is a little unfamiliar; I've opened the bonnet only a few times since buying the car.

I will clean it, and perhaps some lube/water dispersant spray?

It did eventually close, so it is able too, just took about ten attempts. Last time I opened it, it closed perfectly, so it's a sudden change......

Possibly just needs greasing/oiling - all moving parts.

It's a weird coincidence another IQ owner has had bonnet closing trouble! does the latch slide down over time or something?? :eek: 

The bonnet for my Mk4 is soooooo heavy...

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Cyker said:

The bonnet for my Mk4 is soooooo heavy...

Who's not having his Shredded Wheat then? 😉

• Haha 1

All parts SEEM to move well, when bonnet open, I moved the lever etc., but will grease it all, Glimp, thank you.

And yes Cyker; I saw that before posting. Slightly different case in that he'd propped bonnet open for months, which could have caused it to warp.

But, it does feel as though something has shifted out of place!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dannyboy413 said:

Who's not having his Shredded Wheat then? 😉

David,I bet you cant eat three:biggrin:

• Haha 3

I used to have three okay, two. Nowadays, it's cornflakes with a bit of sultana bran sprinkled on top. 🙂

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, dannyboy413 said:

I used to have three okay, two. Nowadays, it's cornflakes with a bit of sultana bran sprinkled on top. 🙂

A bit of Sultana bran have you seen how much sugar is In it.:Jumpy:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Bper said:

A bit of Sultana bran have you seen how much sugar is In it.:Jumpy:

Ahbut, I get my cornflakes and sultana bran from Tesco, (or Asda if I have a trip over the border). Being less than half the price of Kellogs, I am working on the theory that there is less cost inflating ingredients, including sugar. I might be wrong, but at my age, I ain't really bovvered. 🙂

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, dannyboy413 said:

Ahbut, I get my cornflakes and sultana bran from Tesco, (or Asda if I have a trip over the border). Being less than half the price of Kellogs, I am working on the theory that there is less cost inflating ingredients, including sugar. I might be wrong, but at my age, I ain't really bovvered. 🙂

So when did "I ain't really bovvered" become a typical Irish saying .:laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Bper said:

So when did "I ain't really bovvered" become a typical Irish saying .:laugh:

I might have lived here well over 20 years, but I am still a Yorkshire lad at heart! 💮

(In fact, people still mention my Yorkshire accent).

• Haha 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links