Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

"Automatic High Beam" sensitivity

kacnje

Is there any way to get "Automatic High Beam" more sensitive?
Quite often (at least 1-5 times in 10 minutes of driving) oncoming drivers flash at me. The lights are properly adjusted (height).
I tried changing "Light Sensor Sensitivity" but as far as I know, this is for detecting day/night/dark only.
Before I drove a Mazda CX-5 and this feature is much better there.

There is another thing that bothers me (it was similar obtrusiveness on Mazda too). Why a hell it switch to a high beam not earlier than when the car reaches 40 km/h?
Very often I drive on roads (winding roads, forests, villages ...) where the speed is below 40 km/h.

I've always thought AHB was misnamed - we have to have the high beam switched on, and the car dips the beam when it notices lights up ahead.

I find that the system on mine works pretty well. There are occasions when my hand starts moving to the high beam switch before the lights dip but they always dip before I have to intervene. I can't remember the las time I was flashed for being on main beams.

It does, occasionally, switch back to high beam when there is a car just below the rise or round the corner, only to dip the beam again a second later - possibly creating the illusion that I am flashing the oncoming car. But, generally, as a piece of automation it works just fine.

It relies on the front camera to 'see' oncoming vehicles so we need to make sure that the camera is reasonably clean ... ?

As for the auto dip at low speed, we really don't need high beam in order to see the road ahead adequately at lower speeds - dipped beam is enough. So, while I've occasionally wanted to override it, I've got used to the system working the way it does. 

Obviously, if the automation doesn't work for us we can always switch it off and control the lights in the traditional way ... 😉

• Like 1

Tnx. Sorry for my English, it is not my language.

Interestingly, it misses so many times for me. My colleague drives a Corolla and he also said that it works fairly well.
I will check on my wife's Yaris.
The camera is clean, I checked it before.
I have just talked with my friend who works at Toyota and he confirms that AHB sensitivity isn't adjustable.

At lower speeds, I also need a high beam. If I drive just a little under 40 km/h, it can be quite dangerous if something appears before the car. I would like to see more. Especially in Scandinavia, many upgrade the beams, because driving in the forest can be interesting. 

If it is not working as it should, you should take it to a dealer for examination ...

Do you have LED or halogen headlights? The LED lights are perfectly bright enough on dip at low speeds (and really aren't upgradeable). Folk have been tempted to upgrade halogen headlights with non-standard bulbs which might cause problems for oncoming drivers.

I find this on my cross too, I’ve noticed it comes on whilst leaving work, I work in a village just outside the city and as I drive through the auto beam comes on which I find unnecessary as there’s adequate street lighting, it also comes on as I wait at the traffic light further down before joining a main road, the high beam is on and I must be blinding other drivers side on as they pass, my previous ford had this system and it worked much better so it must be a Toyota thing..

1 hour ago, philip42h said:

It relies on the front camera to 'see' oncoming vehicles so we need to make sure that the camera is reasonably clean ... ?

Not just oncoming, it also dips if you are following too.

While you may set the beam height at the recommended level I found one below worked well for me and reduced the flashing. 

1 hour ago, philip42h said:

If it is not working as it should, you should take it to a dealer for examination ...

Do you have LED or halogen headlights? The LED lights are perfectly bright enough on dip at low speeds (and really aren't upgradeable). Folk have been tempted to upgrade halogen headlights with non-standard bulbs which might cause problems for oncoming drivers.

I have Bi-LED lights.

50 minutes ago, Primus1 said:

I find this on my cross too, I’ve noticed it comes on whilst leaving work, I work in a village just outside the city and as I drive through the auto beam comes on which I find unnecessary as there’s adequate street lighting, it also comes on as I wait at the traffic light further down before joining a main road, the high beam is on and I must be blinding other drivers side on as they pass, my previous ford had this system and it worked much better so it must be a Toyota thing..

I'm talking about driving outside the city, where there are no lights. It simply doesn't lighten enough for me, if I drive a little below 40 km/h. Bad roads, winding roads, steep ascent/descent ... it is much better when I manually switch on high beams. The same annoyance was with Mazda, which otherwise has much better automatic high beams (not just ON/OFF, but it adapts the lights every moment for different parts of the area).

29 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Not just oncoming, it also dips if you are following too.

While you may set the beam height at the recommended level I found one below worked well for me and reduced the flashing. 

Yes the following also.
The height was checked.

I must admit that in the few times that I've used this feature it seemed to work OK, however I tend to just do it the old-fashioned manual way. I do worry that a quick switch to main and then back to dip could be misconstrued as flashing my headlights. 

Colin 

I had a Tiguan before the RAV and the headlights on that were very clever and significantly better than the Toyota. However, having used the auto high beam system for several years now I think the RAV system is adequate and I have not had to use manual operation since I got it. It would be nice if Toyota adopted a similar system to the VW though.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Iain_M said:

I had a Tiguan before the RAV and the headlights on that were very clever and significantly better than the Toyota. However, having used the auto high beam system for several years now I think the RAV system is adequate and I have not had to use manual operation since I got it. It would be nice if Toyota adopted a similar system to the VW though.

Agree although mine was a Skoda, never got flashed and worked really well.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links