Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Design 2024 Smart Connect Questions

jclarkey

Hi, recently collected a 2024 Yaris design, really loving the car, just had a couple of questions about the smart connect system, I was under the impression it would be able to do ota updates but it doesn't seem to be the case. I have attached a couple of pictures, does anyone know how to update the software on the unit or is this a dealer only thing, if dealer only I assume this is just an update file put on a USB stick?

May sound like a daft question but what is the actual name of this system? Smart connect 3 or something else?

Thanks

PXL_20240328_172554030.jpg

PXL_20240328_172605589.jpg

Should be able to do OTA updates...that one of the main improvements......from what I understand it would be a 'push' update so you shouldn't need to do anything

• Ok thanks, shame they have no way to force it to check then. I am always a bit OCD about wanting to know things are running the latest version.

I think you can Joseph.  Fiddle some more.   You might need the app connected and do it that way.  

System > Software Update

From here you can perform a manual check and enable auto download.

This will update the system software. Things like the maps, speed and traffic data get updated on-the-fly with this system.

I have tried everything and no option to update it, there is no system/software update menu option just system/software information.

I have tried this with a car play and android auto phone connected and not connected it makes no difference, seems very odd.

Make us some photos of the main options screen and sub menus as they apparently changed something when compared to previous Smart Connect version 

It might be worth looking https://www.toyota.co.uk/customer/manuals

to see if you can find the correct manual for your car (although it is very new !).  Look for the “multi media” or “navigation” manual.

Look at the text in your first image.   Have you visited your customer portal?

Have you contacted your retailer?

I had an OTA update message (YC in Spring 23) but it would not update.  It took a while,  but the dealer fixed in about a month.

So the problem is you don't have Smart Connect, you have Touch 3, which doesn't have the data connection for updates and cloud services. Smart Connect is only available on Excel and above for the 2024 Yaris.

The manual for Touch 3 has some info about updating the speed database from USB, but nothing about system updates.

USBupdate.thumb.png.560c86c982568057135e9c483082971e.png

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IT Troll said:

So the problem is you don't have Smart Connect, you have Touch 3, which doesn't have the data connection for updates and cloud services. Smart Connect is only available on Excel and above for the 2024 Yaris.

The manual for Touch 3 has some info about updating the speed database from USB, but nothing about system updates.

USBupdate.thumb.png.560c86c982568057135e9c483082971e.png

Thanks was going through and found the same, assume for actual system updates Toyota dealers must have access to some form of update via USB.

I had a look at the toyota-tech.eu site and can't find any sign of updates for the speed limit database.

It's funny as well as if I go to my Toyota under the car there it believes it has a sat nav from around 2011 model range fitted, I get the distinct impression they haven't caught up yet to the infotainment on this model.

Regarding the data connection the strange thing is the car clearly has a mobile data connection though, I can syn the my Toyota app and see things like the door lock status, fuel level etc, Toyota were also able to remotely query the millage for verification.

I'm tempted to pay for a few days toyota-tech service access and see if I can dig out any more info.

6 hours ago, jclarkey said:

Regarding the data connection the strange thing is the car clearly has a mobile data connection though, I can syn the my Toyota app and see things like the door lock status, fuel level etc, Toyota were also able to remotely query the millage for verification.

There are two systems on the car. It will have a DCM for the core vehicle control systems, but the infotainment system is separate to this.

1 hour ago, IT Troll said:

There are two systems on the car. It will have a DCM for the core vehicle control systems, but the infotainment system is separate to this.

Ok cheers for confirming, makes sense.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links