Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Battery charging

Leann2356

Hi, my 2022 Yaris hybrid keeps failing to start as I do not drive far/often. I have bought a Battery charger as advised by the dealership to charge it once a month. Can I just charge the Battery under the bonnet (the auxiliary Battery or is this just for jump starting the car) or do I have to charge the battery under the back seat (or both)? The man at the dealership showed me the two points under the bonnet where to connect the charger’s crocodile clips. However, the roadside assistance tested the battery under the back seat (which was flat). Also, what type of battery is it/are they (the Noco genius 10 has 9 modes for various battery types)? I know this will be obvious to you all so apologies in advance. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Learn, it is perfectly acceptable to charge the Battery using the positive charging point in the fuse box and an earthed terminal.

I believe the Battery is a Calcium Battery but best to ask the garage.

Many have had charging tails fitted to the battery and plug the charger into that.   Certainly I find that more convenient than charging in the engine bay.  My engine access in my garage is more limited.

• Thanks 1

I can charge mine in my garage as access isn’t a problem, I just use the point under the bonnet, but I’ve recently bought a noco gb20 jump starter for piece of mind, others suggest leaving in ready mode for an hour a week ( I think) and some have had tails fitted to the Battery under the seat to make charging easier..

• Thanks 1

Hi Leann,

There are loads of posts/threads on here if you do a search but essentially, yes, you can charge from under the bonnet. Here's how I have mine hooked up at the moment... (note how I've attached the black negative clip to an unpainted metal bolt on top of the suspension support)

PXL_20240329_162747457.RAW-01.COVER.thumb.jpg.69022cf9df61562384317a6e1167491a.jpg

This is with the  fuse box cover removed... (shown in this next image)

PXL_20240329_162837681.RAW-01.COVER(Custom).thumb.jpg.cd43b9b560e4acb5444ddc5ae5311683.jpg

You'll need a thin flat bladed screwdriver to pop the three latches...

PXL_20240329_162815585.RAW-01.COVER.thumb.jpg.62d2bc15a080256e7ba3b88cd30001dd.jpg

That is a close-up of the red blade and its cover that you attach to and use as the positive terminal (it is directly connected to the auxiliary 12v Battery - you don't need to worry about the high voltage Battery at all) 

If you lay the cable across the soft neoprene seal like this...

PXL_20240329_162848909.RAW-01.COVER.thumb.jpg.b4c7e5a355714d3a9c30c46855ec8c34.jpg

...it will allow you to close the bonnet without causing any damage to the cable or car...

In relation to your charger, treat it as a normal 12v car Battery because that is what it is essentially. If your charger has an "Auto" for "Car" position, use that setting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CPN said:

If you lay the cable across the soft neoprene seal like this

...it will allow you to close the bonnet without causing any damage to the cable or car...

If you do close the bonnet do, do ensure you have a fool proof reminder to disconnect before driving off.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Leann2356 said:

have bought a battery charger as advised by the dealership to charge it once a month.

Its a shame they didn't advise this type of car may not be the best for you bearing in mind how little you drive before you bought it.

• Like 3

How often do you drive it ?

Countryside- 

hi, I drive it a few times a week but relatively short journeys (10-20 minutes). Every so often I take it on a long journey (2 - 3 times a year approx 60-70 miles). I do about 4,000 miles a year in total. 

Countryside- 

hi, I drive it a few times a week but relatively short journeys (10-20 minutes). Every so often I take it on a long journey (2 - 3 times a year approx 60-70 miles). I do about 4,000 miles a year in total. 

Thank you so much everyone for your helpful responses and taking time to reply and provide answers! CPN, you’ve been particularly helpful- I appreciate all the photos and advice!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a different plan in mind for a convenient  solution when connecting a charger whilst parking outside of a garage.

Rain permitting I will post a "how to" tomorrow. It will require some confidence to accomplish but nothing that cannot be achieved by anyone with basic tools

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Leann2356 said:

Countryside- 

hi, I drive it a few times a week but relatively short journeys (10-20 minutes). Every so often I take it on a long journey (2 - 3 times a year approx. 60-70 miles). I do about 4,000 miles a year in total. 

We have had our car for 3 years 5 months and have covered 14,428 miles which, at 4,223 miles/yr.,  comes quite close to your kind of mileage. Our car has never failed to start once.

What you see in the pictures I took for my previous message, is the first time that I have connected a charger to the car in all that time. The only reason I am doing this is because on Tuesday next we will be taking the car in to part-ex for a new one and I am conscious that the Battery is "one of the rubbish ones" (Mutlu from Türkiye - read the threads) and that it is now "long in the tooth" so I have put it on a reconditioning charge before I hand it over.

Hopefully it will give the new owner some breathing space before they have to think of changing it.

• Like 1

Leann, your driving pattern is not too far of from suitable.   The essential criteria is not distance but time.  A few 10 minute journeys, say 40 minutes a week is not far off.  Perhaps,  once a week, say when unloading shopping, leave it in Ready mode and only switch off when you are done. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Use the charger once a week, not once a month in your case. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have done 18 000 miles in 18 months with no problem.   The car was in for a tyre change today.  On getting home I checked the Battery voltage and it was 11.99v.

I checked the voltage over the previous week and during the period it was in the tyre bay.   There was no hint of a weak Battery.  I now have it on charge and will monitor it over the next few days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

Leann, your driving pattern is not too far of from suitable.   The essential criteria is not distance but time.  A few 10 minute journeys, say 40 minutes a week is not far off.  Perhaps,  once a week, say when unloading shopping, leave it in Ready mode and only switch off when you are done. 

One of my trips is to my local country park just 4 miles away 5 mins there 5 mins back but I can easily sit in carpark in ready mode when get Yaris 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/29/2024 at 4:45 PM, CPN said:

Hi Leann,

There are loads of posts/threads on here if you do a search but essentially, yes, you can charge from under the bonnet. Here's how I have mine hooked up at the moment... (note how I've attached the black negative clip to an unpainted metal bolt on top of the suspension support)

PXL_20240329_162747457.RAW-01.COVER.thumb.jpg.69022cf9df61562384317a6e1167491a.jpg

This is with the  fuse box cover removed... (shown in this next image)

PXL_20240329_162837681.RAW-01.COVER(Custom).thumb.jpg.cd43b9b560e4acb5444ddc5ae5311683.jpg

You'll need a thin flat bladed screwdriver to pop the three latches...

PXL_20240329_162815585.RAW-01.COVER.thumb.jpg.62d2bc15a080256e7ba3b88cd30001dd.jpg

That is a close-up of the red blade and its cover that you attach to and use as the positive terminal (it is directly connected to the auxiliary 12v battery - you don't need to worry about the high voltage battery at all) 

If you lay the cable across the soft neoprene seal like this...

PXL_20240329_162848909.RAW-01.COVER.thumb.jpg.b4c7e5a355714d3a9c30c46855ec8c34.jpg

In relation to your charger, treat it as a normal 12v car battery because that is what it is essentially. If your charger has an "Auto" for "Car" position, use that setting.

Hi

what make and model charger are ou using?

57 minutes ago, kevin turnill said:

Hi

Hi,

I bought the Noco Genius 10. I have not had chance to use it yet as the Battery has been fine. 

Thanks 

3 hours ago, kevin turnill said:

Hi

If that question was aimed at me, it is a CTEK MXS 5.0 (if you blow the picture up you can see it...)

1 hour ago, CPN said:

If that question was aimed at me, it is a CTEK MXS 5.0 (if you blow the picture up you can see it...)

Colin,  glad you are looking.  The only thing I would criticise from your pictures is not securing the charger.

As it is free hanging there is a possibility of it dragging a grip off earth or positive and getting a spark or shorting the charger. 

Not necessarily in your case but in any case.  I would rather the charger was resting on something or otherwise secured. 

Your biggest worry with the  CTEK dangiling in the air is if someone or a pet dog walks into the cable then a clamp may be disloged and sparks may fly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

Colin,  glad you are looking.  The only thing I would criticise from your pictures is not securing the charger.

As it is free hanging there is a possibility of it dragging a grip off earth or positive and getting a spark or shorting the charger. 

Not necessarily in your case but in any case.  I would rather the charger was resting on something or otherwise secured. 

I only did it like that for the photo. Ordinarily it would be up on top of the inner wing.

1 hour ago, Derek.w said:

Your biggest worry with the  CTEK dangiling in the air is if someone or a pet dog walks into the cable then a clamp may be disloged and sparks may fly.

Point taken but the car is in a locked garage and only I have the key (and we don't have pets).

7 minutes ago, CPN said:

Point taken but the car is in a locked garage and only I have the key (and we don't have pets).

Well in that case then look at the wire itself it was not designed to suport the weight of the charger when dangling / hanging loosely from either wire.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links