Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Input Shaft transmission damper 2021 Yaris

Tony Schuck

I am now entering the fourth month since my Yaris with 12400 miles went off the road  ( 9th January)with a defective input shaft transmission damper. I have been told the part ( under warranty) would be delivered on 3 separate occasions during this time.On each occasion the order has been pushed back. Although I have been given a hire car at Toyotas expense and I am not pointing the finger at my dealer it is becoming frustrating now to say the least. I am told there are at least 6 other Yaris and Yaris crossovers awaiting the same part at that dealership.

undoubtedly after this period of time the Battery will need replacement which Toyota will do if necessary.

is there any other member who has had this experience for such a period of time and if so what was the outcome in terms of a “goodwill gesture” from Toyota?

I am now approaching first MOT time in May and obviously tax renewal is imminent. I don’t know whether to SORN at the end of the month. Certainly my insurance can’t be renewed without MOT and the MOT will not be issued as vehicle is not roadworthy.It is a conundrum.I never thought I would be in such a position with a Toyota vehicle.;At least fortunately my Yaris was one of the last to come with a 5 years warranty.

Any advice out there?

I think you can sorn it but keep the insurance open anyway, just ask the insurance company. Also, you might ask the dealer what they can do about it, is there any way that they could MOT it while it's there?

Is this repair under warranty? 
You can deal with your dealer or Toyota uk and ask for solution. If outside warranty you can buy this part used and fitted in and have your car back on the road in few days. eBay still have some available. 

14 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Is this repair under warranty? 
You can deal with your dealer or Toyota uk and ask for solution. If outside warranty you can buy this part used and fitted in and have your car back on the road in few days. EBay still have some available. 

Hmm, if I had a quid for every time second hand parts had turned up on eBay….  There’s no way I’d fit this particular part second hand unless I 100% knew it’s history.    It is under warranty because he says so - in bold so it must be very important 😉

What would I do?  Well the first thing I always do with similar situations is categorise it into something I can influence or something I can’t and this falls into the latter so job one is stop worrying about it because no amount of worrying is going to change anything.  You’ve got a car, somebody else’s car that is preserving yours so as long as there isn’t a huge bill accruing by your car being at the dealership, you should be feeling quite smug about that unless this loan car doesn’t meet your needs.  For instance if you were a builder with a Hilux and they gave you an Aygo, you might have a justified complaint.  You’ve got a Yaris so unless you’ve got a specific need for a small car and they didn’t give you a Fiat or a Ford or some other highly embarrassing vehicle in front of the neighbours then you should also be content 😉.  I see the MOT and insurance as clerical matters.  It will pass an MOT, we know that and I wouldn’t be surprised if you can’t negotiate that free or very cheap with the dealer on handover.   The insurance is a phone call but make sure the car is covered by the dealer before suspending yours.  The shortage of parts is frustrating but it will be for the dealer and Toyota who will be working to sort it out.  I’m thinking of making a new thread in bold AND capitals - why does it always rain just after I’ve cleaned the car?  It’s costing me a fortune in cleaning products and at my age, time is precious!!!

• Like 5

Thanks Don (anchorman). Good advice. The part has now arrived .They are just awaiting for some type of sealant? to do the job. They are confident  that it will be sorted by beginning of May. They have another half dozen Yaris/ Yaris crossovers of same vintage to do and will give new part a lifetime warranty.

it has  however dented my trust in the brand somewhat.

I have now discovered how to post in non bold type!!

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Tony Schuck said:

Thanks Don (anchorman). Good advice. The part has now arrived .They are just awaiting for some type of sealant? to do the job. They are confident  that it will be sorted by beginning of May. They have another half dozen Yaris/ Yaris crossovers of same vintage to do and will give new part a lifetime warranty.

it has  however dented my trust in the brand somewhat.

I have now discovered how to post in non bold type!!

That was only a problem on early models Tony and you will get the uprated version.  It’s a cracking car so don’t lose faith in it.  The only thing you could do for ultimate trust is put a Yuasa Battery on it.  If you’re north Staffordshire and fancy a trip over the hill, I’ll do it for you.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

My Yaris Hybrid (2021) has been in for replacement of the trans-axle damper for 3 1/2 months. Still waiting for the part to arrive. Toyota GB promised it would be delivered on 24/4/2024; and it hasn't.  This is bad enough since Enterprise has issued me with a crappy Nissan Micra. The global demand for this part is very high. Toyota knows that this part is not fit for purpose. They have done recalls in several other countries, but not in GB. I wonder why?

An equally frustrating thing is that it is nigh impossible to speak to somebody at Toyota GB. Their customer relations number (03301079477) is not manned by a human being and their general phone line (0344 7016202) is basically not manned.

This is my first Toyota Hybrid and possibly my last one. Bad bad customer service, Toyota!!

• Sad 2

16 minutes ago, Edward Bakker said:

My Yaris Hybrid (2021) has been in for replacement of the trans-axle damper for 3 1/2 months. Still waiting for the part to arrive. Toyota GB promised it would be delivered on 24/4/2024; and it hasn't.  This is bad enough since Enterprise has issued me with a crappy Nissan Micra. The global demand for this part is very high. Toyota knows that this part is not fit for purpose. They have done recalls in several other countries, but not in GB. I wonder why?

An equally frustrating thing is that it is nigh impossible to speak to somebody at Toyota GB. Their customer relations number (03301079477) is not manned by a human being and their general phone line (0344 7016202) is basically not manned.

This is my first Toyota Hybrid and possibly my last one. Bad bad customer service, Toyota!!

This forum is not monitored by Toyota, so your first port of call is your dealer, as infuriating as it might be to contact Toyota, you could try emailing them? 

https://www.toyota.co.uk/help-centre/complaints-and-feedback

• Like 4

Interesting to read these posts re 2021 Yaris input transmission damper issues . My saga ended on Saturday 20th April after a period of 14 weeks.  The part has a “lifetime” guarantee and my vehicle has a residual 2 years Toyota warranty ( I had it 10 days before Toyota reduced warranties from 5 years to 3)..Enterprise cars Lichfield were fair with me and provided a Citroen 3 Aircross which although a low spec did the job for over 3 months. No complaint there. They even delivered it to me with a full tank of fuel after providing 2 lesser vehicles during my first week without my Yaris.

My vehicle is good now but I  empathise with those in the same position. There are in fact 2 separate components needed to complete the task of damper replacement.

I did make contact via website with Toyota UK and within 36 hours they batted the response to the dealer who phoned me with update on parts delivery. At national level Toyota showed zero interest. The dealer Steven Eagell Tamworth were very supportive throughout but the solution was out of there in hands.

I have driven Toyotas for over 12 years without any issue whatsoever until January 8th this year and acknowledge their undoubted reliability in the motoring world overall.

I intended to change my vehicle post MOT and final bubble payment but my confidence in the brand is severely dented.

It has only recorded 12500 miles so I will hang onto it for the time being.

I wish other Yaris owners in the same position all the best with getting their vehicles sorted but it dies illustrate have little interest Toyota UK have in the issue.

• Like 1

Last sentence should read it does illustrate what little interest Toyota UK have in the issue. Apologies!

9 hours ago, Tony Schuck said:

Last sentence should read it does illustrate what little interest Toyota UK have in the issue. Apologies!

I’m not sure I understand that Tony.  They couldn’t get the parts.  It’s easy to run away with the idea covid fallout never happened but there are still knock on shortages.  I’m sure if parts had been available they’d have got you out of the way pdq.  It’s what they are famous for.  

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links