Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What engine oil do you use?

olddriver

My hand book says use SAE 0W-20 engine oil.

When I put my registration into:-
https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/servicing-and-aftercare/oil-and-tyres

It said “Sorry, we couldn’t find your vehicle”.  All the other companies I tried said a similar thing when I put my registration in, so I had to put in my car details individually:-

For:-
https://www.castrol.com/en_gb/united-kingdom/home/car-engine-oil-and-fluids/motor-oil-and-fluids-finder.html

The first oil it suggested was “Castrol MAGNATEC Hybrid 0W-20”, but this is for hybrids, would there being any advantage in using this?

The second oil suggested was “Castrol EDGE 0W-20 C5”, this is what I am inclined to use.  However, I am a bit anti Castrol since they took over Duckhams and stopped manufacturing their 20-50 oil (for my old Corolla).  I believe this is fully synthetic but the website does not actually say that!

For:-
https://www.mobil.co.uk/en-gb/engine-oil/mobil-1/car/mobil-1-0w-20

The first oil it suggested was Mobil 1™ ESP X2 0W-20 “an advanced full synthetic engine oil”.

I tried:-
https://www.commaoil.com/

But it was pain to use and then didn’t give an engine oil!

https://www.mymotorworld.com

Suggests Carlube Triple R 0W-20 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil R-TEC 4 5L but that is about half the price at £26.99 of Castol, so not keen on that.

Any advice please?

Edit: my GR86 has only done 1600 miles but being old school, I thought that I would change it now and then again under warranty in September.

Assuming this is for your GR86:

Millers EE Performance API SP, SP RC - does everything from local supermarket runs to track days.

I get it from Opie

• Like 5

1 hour ago, APS said:

Assuming this is for your GR86:

Millers EE Performance API SP, SP RC - does everything from local supermarket runs to track days.

I get it from Opie

Thanks, never heard of them, but the reviews look good, funny, one of them says it’s better than Castrol Edge!  I will have to think about it.

35 minutes ago, olddriver said:

funny, one of them says it’s better than Castrol Edge!  I will have to think about it.

Millers focus on high performance oils mostly for racing and track use. The EE Performance oils are approved and certified by the usual testing bodies so that you can use them while retaining car manufacturer warranties. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

All the recommended  oil grades and specs for the GR are in the vehicles hand book.

0w/20 is the default grade and ILSAC GF-6A
API SP is the spec.

JT

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jonnyteabag said:

All the recommended  oil grades and specs for the GR are in the vehicles hand book.

0w/20 is the default grade and ILSAC GF-6A
API SP is the spec.

JT

The Millers Oils EE Performance 0w-20 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil data sheet says it covers those, see:-

FOR SOME REASON THE SYSTEM WON’L LET ME POST A LINK URGH!!!

IMG_6207.png

• Like 3

Irony is that Toyota's own 0w20 oil meets API SN plus spec not SP. They may have new stock coming in but that has been the case for a while. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, olddriver said:

The Millers Oils EE Performance 0w-20 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil data sheet says it covers those, see:-

Yes it does. You asked what other owners use.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, APS said:

Yes it does. You asked what other owners use.

It looks like 5L is cheaper direct from Millers than Opie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Millers EE is what I will be using for my in-between dealer oil changes👍

JT

• Like 2

2 hours ago, olddriver said:

It looks like 5L is cheaper direct from Millers than Opie.

Call them. They are really helpful and will match or beat prices. I got a discount as a TOC member (even though it's not an official deal from TOC). Oh, and you'll need 6 litres for the 86.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, APS said:

you'll need 6 litres for the 86.

I thought that it was 6L for a dry engine but 5L for a refil?

55 minutes ago, olddriver said:

I thought that it was 6L for a dry engine but 5L for a refil?

Yes, you are right. it's 4.8l without filter and 5.0l with filter. I buy an additional litre to overfill slightly and to have for top up. New engines can consume some oil and you do not want these engines to ever run low. 👍 

• Like 3

For what it's worth, I been using Miller's oil for good few years now with no issues and also used Opie as well, had good service from them with good delivery/packaging again no issues.

I stopped using Castrol oil years ago when they suddenly went from 5L to 4L packs for no reason and price stayed the same, when I rang and asked why they said the 4L pack suited modern cars better, well not mine unfortunately!

• Like 3

Likewise - always been great. Opie and Millers are both very well known, but mostly within enthusiast and track-rat circles. Opie has broadened their service parts catalog, which will probably make them more mainstream.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, APS said:

I buy an additional litre to overfill slightly and to have for top up. New engines can consume some oil and you do not want these engines to ever run low. 👍 

Yeah, I ordered 1L from Toyota precisely for that reason and I thought that buying 1L elsewhere might be difficult.  It will be interesting to see what specs it meets.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Puglet said:

I stopped using Castrol oil years ago when they suddenly went from 5L to 4L packs for no reason and price stayed the same, when I rang and asked why they said the 4L pack suited modern cars better, well not mine unfortunately!

Yeah, I stopped buying Castrol years ago too, and buy Comma 20-50 for my old Corolla.

2 minutes ago, olddriver said:

20-50 for my old Corolla

Is it very worn? I thought they'd run on 10w40?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, olddriver said:

Yeah, I stopped buying Castrol years ago too, and buy Comma 20-50 for my old Corolla.

20-50? 😂😂 Welcome to 1975 🤣🤣  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, APS said:

Is it very worn? I thought they'd run on 10w40?

I work on the principle that most of the damage to crankshaft bearings etc, is done on start up, so better to use a thicker oil as it will have less tendency to drain away, so I stick to the original recommended oil, it’s done almost 170,000 so I can’t be doing too much wrong.

45 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

20-50? 😂😂 Welcome to 1975 🤣🤣  

You’re just showing you ignorance of bearing wear in low revving engines!

No, I was taking the Michael out of 20-50, Ive not seen that since the Duckhams rep last visited here in 1975 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Castrol GTX increased the power of petrol engines by at least 20% back in 1975 ,so I was told by a spotty oik in Halfords.

This only worked while wearing platform sole shoes though.

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

No, I was taking the Michael out of 20-50, Ive not seen that since the Duckhams rep last visited here in 1975 

You’re actually wrong about that too, Duckhams was sponsoring motor racing in the 1990s and I was still buying it then. Duckhams was bought by BP, not by Castrol as I said above, although Castrol is also owned by BP.  Apparently, in the early 2000s BP put Duckhams on hold, presumably to protect it’s Castrol products.  Duckhams is now reinventing itself and they have a website but it doesn’t appear to be working as it’s not accepting my registration or car details.  They’re selling 20-50 again, calling it Duckhams Classic Q 20w-50, G00GLE indicates both eBay and Amazon are selling it.  I will be buying some when needed for my old Corolla.

1 minute ago, olddriver said:

You’re actually wrong about that too, Duckhams was sponsoring motor racing in the 1990s and I was still buying it then. Duckhams was bought by BP, not by Castrol as I said above, although Castrol is also owned by BP.  Apparently, in the early 2000s BP put Duckhams on hold, presumably to protect it’s Castrol products.  Duckhams is now reinventing itself and they have a website but it doesn’t appear to be working as it’s not accepting my registration or car details.  They’re selling 20-50 again, calling it Duckhams Classic Q 20w-50, G00GLE indicates both eBay and Amazon are selling it.

Yes and it is still as cack as it was in 1975, it only sold because of good marketing and it's lovely colour green 👍

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links