Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Steering wheel crook lock device for Aygo X

Yve1961

Hello,

I picked up my 2022 Aygo X cross today and I am loving it so far.

it’s a replacement for a stolen Ford Fiesta so I want to do everything I can to prevent another theft.  The police recommended getting a steering wheel crook lock device.  Can anyone recommend a good model that will fit the Aygo X?  The stoplock brand don’t do anything in their range to suit the Aygo (according to their web site) so I am on the hunt for a good device that will fit.

Thank you

A pedal box lock would be more effective than a steering lock, as it'll be more difficult to get at. 

There is so much room around the Aygo steering wheel no lock is going to prevent it being turned if its being driven with a steering lock attached. 

There is also no alarm, if you were not aware, from factory. So potentially one of these might be an idea to add to your list. 

Thank you.  I will look into the pedal box lock.

With immobilisers, most cars cannot be stolen without the keys, unless they're keyless cars and they can tap into the signal. 

Milenco High Security steering wheel lock - tested and exceeds current Sold Secure standard.

Available direct from below and Amazon, eBay, etc - https://www.milenco.com/products/automotive-security/automotive-security-wheel-locks/high-security-steering-wheel-lock

• Like 3

Thank you.

the Fiesta was keyless and so is my Aygo.  I now have the keys in a Faraday pouch.  I want to add as many deterrents as I can, so will look into Milenco lock and the pedal box.

An Aygo is going to be far less attractive to thieves than a Fiesta.

Sadly you can't get one of these in this country...

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Milenco High Security steering wheel lock - tested and exceeds current Sold Secure standard.

Available direct from below and Amazon, eBay, etc - https://www.milenco.com/products/automotive-security/automotive-security-wheel-locks/high-security-steering-wheel-lock

And the weakest point is the steering wheel which is cut in seconds to remove the lock. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DJ123 said:

And the weakest point is the steering wheel which is cut in seconds to remove the lock. 

Maybe, but steering wheel locks are still the recommended devices to use by Police, the Milenco exceeds current Sold Secure testing standards (which have replaced older Thatcham standards), are a visual deterrent and convenient to use by the owner.

The only Sold Secure approved pedal locks are for vans or recreational vehicles, rather than cars - www.soldsecure.com/category/automotive/type/pedal-lock - and untested pedal boxes may be no more secure than steering wheel locks

• Like 3

The Police will always say something is better than nothing, which to deter an opportunist thief is true. Yes the lock is secure, but as with anything when it comes to security the lock is not the only place to look - it always about the weakest link in the chain. For instance, there's no point putting a diamond rated lock on a wooden shed - because the door is the weakest link and easily passable. The same for the steering wheel lock vs the steering wheel, the strong lock is let down by the weak steering wheel.

You could cut through a steering wheel with a hand saw relatively quickly and with little to no noise. A pedal box you (probably) couldn't do the same without a powered tool, and lots of noise. 

Here's a YT video testing different steering locks, and trying to break them to see how secure they really are(n't)

• Like 1

No security device is going to be 100% effective - whether its an alarm, pedal box or steering wheel lock. The steering wheel lock I linked to has the same Sold Secure rating as Disklock, and aside from that Sold Secure properly test these devices, rather than go through a gimmicky Youtube video.

• Like 2

You're very much missing the point i am trying to make. Which is you can have the most secure lock in the world, but it makes no difference as the weakest point in the system can be defeated and render your lock useless.

Your lock is a bar that goes across one part of the steering wheel. 1 x hacksaw and 2 minutes cuts through the steering wheel and the part of which it is locked to. 

Get yourself a free steering wheel and try to cut through it. You'll soon see how weak they are - and how you can cut the steering wheel to remove the lock 'secure' lock. 

26 minutes ago, DJ123 said:

You're very much missing the point

No.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Wiz201 said:

With immobilisers, most cars cannot be stolen without the keys, unless they're keyless cars and they can tap into the signal. 

OBD port is the weakest link - straight in & away in under a minute with the right equipment 😉

As for the relay theft method you mentioned, most vehicle manufacturers have overcome that theft method now on newer products.

I think if a car theft wants the car they are going to take it

all anyone can do is make it harder to take 

Alarms aren't much good no one takes any notice when they go off

The longer a theft takes to get the car the more chance they'll get caught so any method of protection 

Will help

I have got a thick chain and padlock

And put it through the steering wheel and round the clutch pedal 

On my classic car it won't stop it being taken but it will slow a theft down

• Like 2

Over the years I used steering wheel locks, road wheel lock, window etching and approved aftermarket alarms. The steering and road wheel locks come in various shapes, sizes and prices and also length of time to fit, so depends how easy fit or bulky you happy to live with. As mentioned it only a deterrant, so if 'they' want it then you can only do so much. I'm proof of that cos back in the day even with alarm, steering wheel lock, face off stereo, I still had my car broken into, but they didn't steal the car so count my blessings.

My favourite security device was our 2 dogs in our motorcaravan, even scared me a few times they were so stealthy!

36 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

OBD port is the weakest link - straight in & away in under a minute with the right equipment

About 4 years ago, a neighbour parked their new Fiesta ST on the road outside (quiet cul-de-sac). At around 11am on a Saturday morning, a thief broke the driver's door window, and used an OBD device to drive the car away. Less than 3 minutes. Car never recovered.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Yve1961 said:

I want to add as many deterrents as I can, so will look into Milenco lock and the pedal box.

The Milenco lock (previously marketed as 4Tress) is easy to use and should deter an opportunist thief. It's easy to apply/remove and doesn't leave any marks on the steering wheel. I'd also look into fitting an aftermarket alarm with a Battery back-up. I'd consider a pedal box if there was one on the market that fitted the Aygo's pedals securely.

20240328_104655.jpg

I’m finding the best and fool proof method of tackling car theft is to not own a car. 🤣

Seriously it’s liberating and less stressful 🤷‍♂️

Obviously I know that not everyone can live without a car, but for me, for now, I’m happy to not have the responsibility and cost of a car.

I’ve had a few new cars in the last few years then worry about leaving them in public car parks and have had work colleagues use it as a door stop with their own car door. 🤬

The wife has hers, but I barely use it, and that’s her own preference to own one.

Glad I’m off the wagon 😂

To add, the Stoplock will fit an Aygo X, you need one with the pronounced bend, called Elite Pro, as I had one on my Aygo X. 

Good luck with the new car. 😎

• Like 3

I bought a cheap steering wheel lock from Temu. It's fairly useless but acts as a visual deterrent. When I worked in Bristol Royal Infirmary (2002-2011) we had a security lecture from the police. The basic gist was that if thieves want your car they'll have it. But you can deter opportunistic threats by removing all stealable items from the car, don't even leave loose change in there because a junkie will break your window to steal it. Leave your gloves box open to show it's empty etc. Covering stuff over with a blanket or rug doesn't work because thieves want to know if there's anything under the rug.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links