Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Suble ticking noise

Adam Russon

Hi all,

First post here. I have a 2008 150k 2.5l d4d Hiace. UK spec.

It has what I can only describe as a ticking noise that comes at 1500-2000rpm under no load. Seems to be to be around the passenger side of the engine (that's as you look in the engine bay off to the right hand side. Just sounds bad. Fine at idle, and I can't hear anything around 2500rpm. 

Not sure where to start, it's not a belt or pulley, it's not the turbo by the looks of where the noise is originating.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks,

Adam

Hi Adam,The ticking noise most likely originates from the valve gear or sometimes the valve mechanism. This controls the opening and closing of the engine's valves. A common cause is worn components within the valve gear, such as hydraulic lifters, rocker arms, or valves themselves, are a well known cause of ticking noises at higher engine speeds across many engines. The ticking only occurring at 1500-2000 rpm and being absent at idle or higher RPMs aligns with typical valve gear issues. Therefore the valve gear is the first place to check Make sure the engine is cool and switched off. Open the bonnet and look for the valve cover on top of the engine. It will usually have bolts or clips holding it in place. If you decide to do a visual inspection, be careful and avoid touching any hot engine components. look for, a leaking valve cover gasket,oil leaks around the valve cover gasket could indicate worn components underneath. Excessive wear on valve components, If you can safely remove the valve cover you might see visible wear on rocker arms or other components. However, this is not recommended unless you're comfortable doing this. It will only be a preliminary check. It's best to take your car to a qualified mechanic for a proper diagnosis and repair of the ticking noise. They can use stethoscopes and other tools to pinpoint the exact source of the Hope this helps.:smile:

Hi there, Definitely don't think it's the valves. I could be wrong. To me it's lower on the engine. Looks like there is an egr cooler on top to the right. And the noise looks below this and to the back. I know you can get ticking noises as such from a malfunctioning egr solenoid etc. Or from leaking exhaust manifold gaskets etc. it's really hard to pin point as it's only really noticeable when driving. If you rev the engine with the bonnet open it's hard to hear it as well. 

Anyway just suggesting these things. Could be valves, but from my past experiences I wouldn't say so. And the noise is not at the front of the engine to be the valve gear. 

Happy to check the valves this weekend. And I'll investigate other things. It's not impacting the performance. Just the noise is discerning. 

19 hours ago, Adam Russon said:

Hi there, Definitely don't think it's the valves. I could be wrong. To me it's lower on the engine. Looks like there is an egr cooler on top to the right. And the noise looks below this and to the back. I know you can get ticking noises as such from a malfunctioning egr solenoid etc. Or from leaking exhaust manifold gaskets etc. it's really hard to pin point as it's only really noticeable when driving. If you rev the engine with the bonnet open it's hard to hear it as well. 

Anyway just suggesting these things. Could be valves, but from my past experiences I wouldn't say so. And the noise is not at the front of the engine to be the valve gear. 

Happy to check the valves this weekend. And I'll investigate other things. It's not impacting the performance. Just the noise is discerning. 

Hi Adam, knowing now from your updated post that it sounds like it is coming from the lower part of the engine and given the unique aspects of the Hiace situation (passenger side noise, specific RPM range), the EGR system or exhaust manifold leak are likely contenders for the ticking source.

However, a valve gear inspection wouldn't hurt, especially if you're comfortable doing a visual check for leaks around the valve cover gasket. Let us know how you get on as it will be interesting to know the exact cause as it will help others and give additional insights into what else can also cause these ticking sounds.:smile:

Hello there again, 

I've been under it with the torch and can now say 100 percent that it's the clutch. Most likely the throw out bearing. If you physically put pressure on the slave fork the noise stops. Let go of the fork and it starts. So I'm getting quotes on a new clutch. Was happy enough to do my defender clutch, but that's another foot off the ground of room. This is a bit tight without a ramp. But I feel better knowing that it's not the engine. Clutch is due soon anyway.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Adam Russon said:

Hello there again, 

I've been under it with the torch and can now say 100 percent that it's the clutch. Most likely the throw out bearing. If you physically put pressure on the slave fork the noise stops. Let go of the fork and it starts. So I'm getting quotes on a new clutch. Was happy enough to do my defender clutch, but that's another foot off the ground of room. This is a bit tight without a ramp. But I feel better knowing that it's not the engine. Clutch is due soon anyway.

Hi Adam, thats good news you have found the problem but not so great its the clutch you have to change. Is this the first time you have been able to get under to have a look.:smile:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links