Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

PHEV wheel corrosion

Flatcoat

The wheels are showing signs of corrosion emanating from the centres. Anyone else had this? 

• Like 1

Photo?

• Like 2

Any kind of cleaning chemicals been used on the wheels? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flatcoat said:

The wheels are showing signs of corrosion emanating from the centres. Anyone else had this? 

No sign on mine. 

20k miles. 

Washed it probably no more than 5 times in the last 2.5 years. 😂

1 hour ago, forkingabout said:

Any kind of cleaning chemicals been used on the wheels? 

In what respect? I use car wash products, mostly Autoglym. Will add photo tomorrow. 

• Like 1

My wife has had 3 Aygos and all the alloys/diamond cut wheels have corroded after 3 years max 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

If any acidic car wash products been used can cause premature corrosion. Best way to wash car wheels is with light mixture of tfr and water followed by car wash and wax hand washing and avoiding any acidic solutions or hard brush.
Other than that it will be from the salt that we have every winter and or a stone chip that has started the corrosion process, again from the unnecessary salt and grit during winter. 

• Like 1

I will try another photo later however I took this today while the wheel was off having unexpected new tyres. (Wife hit a pot hole while out earlier which wrecked the tyre. Had to have two new ones fitted the day before we set off on holiday to Scoyland). 

All wheels are similar. I understand about acidic cleaners. I generally use the, Snow Foam, Autoglym shampoo. Only very rarely a non acidic cleaner to remove metallic particles etc. always blast off the wheels with pressure washer on full tilt. Then use Autoglym wheel protector finish spray. 

• Like 2

Looks fairly typical sadly for diamon cut wheels. My previous car had diamond cutwheels and I never used any acidic cleaners, never took it through a random hand car wash and only every washed it myself but the faces still failed like that and the corrosion got under the lacquer. That was 5 years old though.

My RAV is a 21 plate and the wheels look spotless though. I don't think they've been refurbed, but I only got it a month ago so can't be sure.

It is poor, only thing to do is get them stripped and redone with minimal lathe work, ideally none if they can.

• Like 2

I will try another photo later however I took this today while the wheel was off having unexpected new tyres. (Wife hit a pot hole while out earlier which wrecked the tyre. Had to have two new ones fitted the day before we set off on holiday to Scoyland). 

All wheels are similar. I understand about acidic cleaners. I generally use the, snow foam, Autoglym shampoo. Only very rarely a non acidic cleaner to remove metallic particles etc. always blast off the wheels with pressure washer on full tilt. Then use Autoglym wheel protector finish spray. 

Mmm, this looks more like is either the lacquer issue or from wash imo. If pts a dent or stone chip will likely  be one spot but here is all around the centre bore.  Maybe you can try to talk to a dealer if you understand well, they might help you get them fixed under warranty, cost nothing to try . 
Good luck 

• Like 1

I will definitely be trying warranty claim. I had a 60,000 mile Volvo with diamond cut polished wheels which were still like new after 4 years so not accepting this. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Mmm, this looks more like is either the lacquer issue or from wash imo. If pts a dent or stone chip will likely  be one spot but here is all around the centre bore.  Maybe you can try to talk to a dealer if you understand well, they might help you get them fixed under warranty, cost nothing to try . 
Good luck 

+1, lacquer layer.

Adrian, if and when I use a pressure washer on the wheels I'd never use it at 'full' power, that can be very abrasive.

• Like 1

I would say if the wheel finish cannot stand up to a pressure washer it isn’t fit for purpose. 

• Like 2

I would say that is definitely a warranty claim Adrian.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2024 at 11:54 PM, CassUK said:

My wife has had 3 Aygos and all the alloys/diamond cut wheels have corroded after 3 years max 🤷‍♂️

Same with my wife's Aygo before she swapped to a Mini. Lots of small corrosion instances on the Aygo after a couple of years from new. Still, it was a great little car. Only reason she went to Mini was because she needed something a little more solid and more power for some short motorway driving.  

• Like 1

I would say if the wheel finish cannot stand up to a pressure washer it isn’t fit for purpose. 

It's worth pursuing, looking at the photo. I don't have anything like that though.

How many miles and how old is the car?

If similar to my mileage then the cause is either through washing (since I barely ever wash mine 😂) or faulty at sale meaning a manufacturing issue which has led to premature corrosion?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Flatcoat said:

I will definitely be trying warranty claim. I had a 60,000 mile Volvo with diamond cut polished wheels which were still like new after 4 years so not accepting this. 

Please let us know how you get on as it'd be interesting to know how Toyota respond. 👍

• Like 3

I'm sure there was at least one other post about a similar thing not long ago (Unless that was also you :laugh: ). Same issue - started bubbling out from the centre.

Bid sad if it is, as I thought they learned that lesson with the Mk1 Yaris! Those were very prone to it as the backs weren't sealed properly, and once moisture got on the hub it'd wick its way in behind the centre of the wheel. It was so bad on my first Mk1 the paint would literally come away from the centre to the spokes in chunks! Never had another problem after I got them refurbished and powdercoated so was definitely an issue with how they were done in the first place...

• Like 2

In Corolla forum recently someone had a wheel replacement under warranty for the similar problems. 
I had my new replacement diamond cut wheels since 2020, 4 years and 130000 miles on still look good with few stone chips, maybe a bit more wear  but I haven’t noticed any corrosion issues yet. 

• Like 2

The car has just dine 31,000 miles. I am annoyed I hadn’t seen it earlier last month for when it went in for servicing. It will be a couple of weeks before I can do anything, currently touring Scotland with caravan. 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2024 at 8:06 PM, Flatcoat said:

The car has just dine 31,000 miles. I am annoyed I hadn’t seen it earlier last month for when it went in for servicing. It will be a couple of weeks before I can do anything, currently touring Scotland with caravan. 

50% more miles than mine so maybe it'll happen on mine but it gets swapped in early September in any case. If I'd have bought the car and it happened I'd definitely pursue.

Good look with the tour North of the wall.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links