Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Predictive Efficient Drive (Yaris and other Toyota models)

MG95

Hello all,

I understand the Yaris (mine is an Excel) comes with Predictive Efficient Drive, which according to Toyota:

• Learns driving patterns to increase deceleration and regenerative braking in places where one usually decelerates (the green leaves which appear in the sat nav)
  • Has Predictive state-of-charge control (SOC), which when the sat nav is on can read the road ahead (uphill vs downhill, traffic,...) and optimize batter charging and discharging to maximize EV operation and minimize fuel consumption

My question is: has anyone ever experimented with the Predictive state-of-charge control to understand if fuel consumption is effectively lower, and by how much? If that is the case, then I would start using the in-built sat nav more often (even if I don't really need directions; I can always mute it).

Thank you all!

• Like 3

Mm, this seems new to me and very interesting. Did Toyota really made their hybrids so smart, and how does these new additions works in real world scenarios will be nice to learn more about it. 👌

• Like 2

I remember someone, I think a recent-ish RAV4, possibly PHEV, owner, discovering this on theirs and found it did change how the car charged and did make a noticeable improvement in fuel efficiency!

None of us had heard of it before and assumed it was a weird fluke, but turns out they did have this tech listed in their specs and we later found out it was a real thing! :laugh: 

• Like 2

I read it in the manual but just assumed it would only work if you used the car satnav which I never do. Must admit did not look in settings to see if I had the feature on a UK spec Excel.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MardyMarvin said:

but just assumed it would only work if you used the car satnav

The thing is that to work it needs the elevations along the route ahead. I suspect most satnavs don't have that information in their databases - it would be a lot more data with no value for normal 2D navigation.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cyker said:

I remember someone, I think a recent-ish RAV4, possibly PHEV, owner, discovering this on theirs and found it did change how the car charged and did make a noticeable improvement in fuel efficiency!

None of us had heard of it before and assumed it was a weird fluke, but turns out they did have this tech listed in their specs and we later found out it was a real thing! :laugh: 

Have you tried it?

No, I have a first-gen Mk4 Yaris hybrid - It doesn't have that system. Heck it doesn't even come with Sat Nav!!! :laugh: 

The first vehicle I'd heard of it was the newer RAV4s, but it was long enough ago I can't find the post any more. :unsure:

I've always thought that it would be a sensible next step to have the car know about hills and learning from your journeys. I'm pleased to know that Toyota are already working on it.

• Like 2

I have read about Predictive Efficiency Drive in the publicity info issued by Lexus for the LBX.  I didn't know it was in the Yaris and, presumably, Yaris Cross.  Have Toyota issued a brochure for the new YC?   

In the main vehicle manual...

image.thumb.png.fa40b013f5cf0c649555d501170f8118.png

image.thumb.png.43e699dd3c8fdb50989a82594a28d922.png

and...

image.thumb.png.93f4674c636d40981397601935cabe39.png

...in the NAV manual.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, CPN said:

In the main vehicle manual...

image.thumb.png.fa40b013f5cf0c649555d501170f8118.png

image.thumb.png.43e699dd3c8fdb50989a82594a28d922.png

and...

image.thumb.png.93f4674c636d40981397601935cabe39.png

...in the NAV manual.

There’s certain new stuff I’m a bit old dog/new trick about but this is clever.  

• Like 3

On 5/9/2024 at 9:28 PM, MikeSh said:

The thing is that to work it needs the elevations along the route ahead. I suspect most satnavs don't have that information in their databases - it would be a lot more data with no value for normal 2D navigation.

About 37 years ago I was at a meeting to discuss colour displays, elevation, and heading orientated map with always up text.

At the time colour was limited to 16 colours, elevation to 100m data points, and always up text pushing tge computing limits.

The elevation aspiration was 10m data points.  In no time at all, 65k colour and always up text became available at pocket money prices.

If you trace a route on Google Earth you can also display the elevation profile. 

What was impossible 30 years ago,  feasible 25 years ago, needed a computer 15 years ago is now in your pocket today. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, anchorman said:

There’s certain new stuff I’m a bit old dog/new trick about but this is clever.  

Blimey you know it's good tech when even you think it's good! :laugh: 

2 hours ago, Roy124 said:

About 37 years ago I was at a meeting to discuss colour displays, elevation, and heading orientated map with always up text.

At the time colour was limited to 16 colours, elevation to 100m data points, and always up text pushing tge computing limits.

The elevation aspiration was 10m data points.  In no time at all, 65k colour and always up text became available at pocket money prices.

If you trace a route on Google Earth you can also display the elevation profile. 

What was impossible 30 years ago,  feasible 25 years ago, needed a computer 15 years ago is now in your pocket today. 

Yeah it's insane when you consider modern smart phones are something like 1000x more powerful than the original Cray supercomputer! :eek: 

The sad thing is you'd hope humanity would be using all that processing power for something productive, but apparently most of that processing power is, on average, being used to play high-resolution cat videos on YouTube... :wacko: :laugh: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I am testing this in my car.

I commute to work 50km (each way), mostly highway (avg. speed 60km/h because of traffic), using ACC, with uphills, downhills and traffic, so it should be the perfect testing environment for this. I will let you know the results once I collect enough observations.

If anyone wants to test it on theirs, that would be great. From what I investigated there is very little feedback online as to how well this works. In another forum one driver reported 10% increase in efficiency for a Toyota Sienna, but his sample was just a few trips.

P.S.: If you want to test this, you need to make sure that in the Sat Nav settings "Predictive Efficient Drive" is enabled. If green leaves are popping up in the screen, it should be enabled.

• Like 2

Miguel, just noticed your Toyota is shown as still looking.  Can you change your profile to match your car?

• Like 1

Done! Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of upgrading from my 22MY Excel with Tech Pack to a new Premiere Edition, which I understand comes with Predictive Efficient Drive.

To use this feature, is it necessary to utilise the Toyota navigation system? Or is it still possible to navigate using Google Maps via Android Auto?

If it is necessary to use the Toyota nav, I'd still like to play music/podcasts using Spotify. How easy is it to combine the built-in navigation with Spotify via AA? Do the voice commands still work? Can you swap easily between the two interfaces on screen etc?

• Like 2

No, the feature is automatic, it is not satnav related. It uses the radar and the camera. It has 3 features (automatic deceleration, steering assist when you go too fast on corners, and obstacle avoidance when you need to deviate from an obstacle). You can active or desactivate them individually. You can also adjust the sensitivity. I like all 3 features, they help and are not very intrusive.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MG95 said:

it is not satnav related

So why do you enable it in sat nav screen? 😐

On 5/14/2024 at 1:27 PM, MG95 said:

you need to make sure that in the Sat Nav settings "Predictive Efficient Drive" is enabled.

57 minutes ago, hind said:

So why do you enable it in sat nav screen? 😐

Presumably the snowflake community will kick off that they don’t want so called big brother watching them so you are given the choice.  

• Haha 3

Sorry, mistake from my side. I was talking about the Proactive Driving Assist, which is also a new feature in the FY24 model. The Predictive Efficient Drive, yes, it requires the car Sat Nav to be on. You can have the car Sat Nav working in the background and use Apple CarPlay at the same time.

• Like 2

On the older models you can use the phone as an audio source, so assuming they didn't take that out in the new model, that would be one way of playing music while using the built-in satnav.

It's an annoyance for me as I use a USB stick to store music, but the car keeps trying to use my phone's bluetooth as an audio source despite me disabling it!! :wacko:

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links