Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

High RPM at 60 MPH

Viskam

Hello folks,

I recently bought a Toyota Auris 2008 1.6 VVT-i TR model (manual), and I noticed that when the car reaches 40 miles per hour, it runs smoothly in 5th gear (2000 RPM). I just wanted to know whether this is normal. Additionally, my car runs perfectly fine up to a speed of 50 miles per hour with an engine RPM of around 2000. However, when I accelerate above 50 miles per hour, the engine RPM keeps rising and is about 3000 when the car reaches around 60 miles per hour. Is this a normal scenario, or do I need to have it checked by a mechanic? Please help.

I would say the clutch is slipping based on what you describe. The revs will of course increase with speed but it should be a progressive increase, if the revs suddenly start increasing and the road speed does not then the clutch is slipping.

• Like 1

Hi Viskam and welcome to the forum !

Yes it's normal, mine behaves the same as yours, at 100 kmph in fifth gear, it has 3000 rpm.

My first intention was to change the pair of fifth gear pinions in order to get lower rpm, but I've got used with it and I let it be...

• Like 2

I think it’s perfectly normal 2000rpm for 50mph and 3000rpm for 60mph, most petrol cars will be the same.. if you have a slipping clutch the rpm will rise high when engine is loaded and the speed will not go high , there will be also very strong metallic smell like when someone cuts through metal with angle grinder. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2024 at 9:36 AM, Viskam said:

Hello folks,

I recently bought a Toyota Auris 2008 1.6 VVT-i TR model (manual), and I noticed that when the car reaches 40 miles per hour, it runs smoothly in 5th gear (2000 RPM). I just wanted to know whether this is normal. Additionally, my car runs perfectly fine up to a speed of 50 miles per hour with an engine RPM of around 2000. However, when I accelerate above 50 miles per hour, the engine RPM keeps rising and is about 3000 when the car reaches around 60 miles per hour. Is this a normal scenario, or do I need to have it checked by a mechanic? Please help.

Hello folks, 

Thank you very much for the information. Based on the information, I feel like the car is running fine. Apologize for the late replay. 

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links