Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Harsh acceleration

itstherightfoot

I hate the folk that mimse down the slip road to dual carriageways/motorways. I give it the beans in third, to join at around 60MPH, so I can merge with the HGVs, then bulk change up to sixth when i'm up to 70.

I was once given a driving assessment by an ex-plod who asked when I joined a dual carriageway via an uphill slip road in a non-turbo diesel, if I could have accelerated any faster. I honestly replied "I don't think so". Neither could I, he agreed!

• Like 1

That's one thing I love about the Mk4 - I can follow the dawdler down the on-ramp at 30-40mph at a safe distance, sighting for nice big gap - If there is one, as soon as I hit the dashed lines I can launch hard, sweep into the middle lane and burn past them doing 70mph before the dawdler has even moved out into lane 1 :naughty:  :laugh: 

It's extremely obnoxious as the engine will be well past 5000rpm and that 3-pot ain't quiet at full chat, but man it feels awesome :biggrin: 

And if there isn't a big safe gap I just follow them out real slow on electrics-only... until there is one :naughty: :laugh: 

It's something about the hybrid 'CVT' that I don't think reviewers really appreciate - I don't think any other car can react that quickly without needing any pre-planning or pre-setup. Even my old Mk1 D4D, although it had significantly more torque than the Mk4 does, would need a bit of a wind up to get the turbo going before I could even think about doing something like that and you'd have to commit to following or overtaking a lot earlier, couldn't make a last-minute snap decision like you can in the Mk4. (And I didn't even attempt anything like that in the Mk2 as I knew that petrol engine just wouldn't have coped :laugh: )

• Haha 2

I think you are both Audi drivers in waiting 🤭

• Haha 6

9 hours ago, Cyker said:

There's a button specifically for that on the HVAC panel labelled Eco/Fast

Yeah but I'd rather have it default to Eco to be switched to Fast only if required 😉 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cyker said:

That's one thing I love about the Mk4 - I can follow the dawdler down the on-ramp at 30-40mph at a safe distance, sighting for nice big gap - If there is one, as soon as I hit the dashed lines I can launch hard, sweep into the middle lane and burn past them doing 70mph before the dawdler has even moved out into lane 1 :naughty:  :laugh: 

It's extremely obnoxious as the engine will be well past 5000rpm and that 3-pot ain't quiet at full chat, but man it feels awesome :biggrin: 

And if there isn't a big safe gap I just follow them out real slow on electrics-only... until there is one :naughty: :laugh: 

It's something about the hybrid 'CVT' that I don't think reviewers really appreciate - I don't think any other car can react that quickly without needing any pre-planning or pre-setup. Even my old Mk1 D4D, although it had significantly more torque than the Mk4 does, would need a bit of a wind up to get the turbo going before I could even think about doing something like that and you'd have to commit to following or overtaking a lot earlier, couldn't make a last-minute snap decision like you can in the Mk4. (And I didn't even attempt anything like that in the Mk2 as I knew that petrol engine just wouldn't have coped :laugh: )

Yup, going to give that right foot a go today!! Watch me burn up the A1! ..... Hybrid Coaching? ...what Hybrid Coaching...? Harsh will be my middle name! (It's my Hubby's standard tactic on slip roads - in his BMW 530! 🙄🙄🙄) CVT practice. 😂

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, itstherightfoot said:

Yup, going to give that right foot a go today!! Watch me burn up the A1! .....  🙄🙄🙄

Yes dear. 

What time will that be 🤣

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, Primus1 said:

I think you are both Audi drivers in waiting 🤭

Nah they're too slow for me... :whistling1: :laugh: 

To be fair I try to be courteous, leave space, let people out, always use signals, don't honk at people if they don't move within a split second of the lights going green etc., all very un-Audi behaviour! :laugh: 

9 hours ago, hind said:

Yeah but I'd rather have it default to Eco to be switched to Fast only if required 😉 

You should be able to do that - My HVAC is almost permanently set on Eco, and because I manually selected that, it stays on Eco whether I use Normal or Power mode (Although I use the other modes almost never - Since I discovered they don't actually do anything aside from change the accelerator pedal mapping slightly, 99.999% of the time I just use Eco because it allows more low-speed finesse, which is handy for traffic and parking, but will still give me full power if I floor it :naughty: :laugh: )

• Like 1

Hmmm 🤔 

Maybe I should try Eco in the Prius while I have her….. I’ve never used it or Power mode 

Mind you had a little trip out today which was a mix of town & motorway and the trip meter indicated over 80mpg so not too much to worry about.   Strangely my score was only 62, mostly due to air con settings 

• Like 1

It's good to experiment; If you're used to Normal, Eco will be weird as, initially, you have to push the pedal a lot more to get the same acceleration, but after a certain point it picks up much faster than Normal.

Power is the opposite - It picks up much faster than the other two at the beginning, but then it drops off as you get to the end.

Some people like to use the Power mode on the motorway as you don't have to push the pedal as much, which can reduce foot fatigue, esp. when holding a constant speed for ages like in these infernal endless 50 zones! I prefer my solution though, which is to abuse the radar cruise control as much as possible as soon as I get on the motorway  :laugh: 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Cyker said:

It's good to experiment; If you're used to Normal, Eco will be weird as, initially, you have to push the pedal a lot more to get the same acceleration, but after a certain point it picks up much faster than Normal.

Power is the opposite - It picks up much faster than the other two at the beginning, but then it drops off as you get to the end.

Some people like to use the Power mode on the motorway as you don't have to push the pedal as much, which can reduce foot fatigue, esp. when holding a constant speed for ages like in these infernal endless 50 zones! I prefer my solution though, which is to abuse the radar cruise control as much as possible as soon as I get on the motorway  :laugh: 

Yeah I’ll give it a go tomorrow while I’m out and about 

You sound like a boy racer to me Cyker 🤣

• Haha 4

26 minutes ago, ninanina said:

Yeah I’ll give it a go tomorrow while I’m out and about 

You sound like a boy racer to me Cyker 🤣

Cyker, boy racer?   Naw, I’m not having that 😇

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, ninanina said:

You sound like a boy grandad racer to me Cyker

Fixed that for ya 🙂

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, itstherightfoot said:

Harsh will be my middle name!

I think Harsh Louise has a better ring to it 🙂

• Haha 3

52 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

I think Harsh Louise has a better ring to it 🙂

Yes, 'Harsh but fair'! 😁... ripped up the A1 and it felt goooooood. 😜

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, MikeSh said:

Fixed that for ya 🙂

🤣🤣😉

• Haha 2

My 2p worth

I love the power mode in my 2.0 GR Sport. I may have picked up a photo from a yellow box on the side of the road as I accelerated past some slow moving traffic. In a few weeks, I’ll know if I won the prize of a few points on my license 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

So far I’ve dodged a bullet but I’m on borrowed time 🕰️ 

• Like 1

As a veteran of a speed awareness course AND three points the following year, I tend not to do any ripping up anymore, I don’t want another ripping up…..of my licence.

• Like 4

On 5/17/2024 at 6:59 AM, Primus1 said:

As a veteran of a speed awareness course AND three points the following year, I tend not to do any ripping up anymore, I don’t want another ripping up…..of my licence.

I should point out that my 'ripping up the A1' is me not hanging about getting up to the limit. Unlike the 0-70 in 10mins I was doing before! 😂😂...so as not to get "harsh acceleration" ....BTW I'm starting to enjoy my driving again thanks to all the comments on here, so thanks everyone! 🙏 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The first time I was caught doing 58 in a 60!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

@itstherightfoot quite, like yesterday,  we have a wonderful piece of road planning with 2 Lane at the lights opening up to 3 Lane for 200 yards where it splits into one lane left and 4 lanes right at the next lights.

What could possibly go wrong?

I was at the front in lane 2.  The car on my inside might chose any of 5 options.  A little application of my right foot converted 'inside' to 'rear view mirror' before the next lights.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links