Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tesla only chargers?

gingertips

Hey all 

Staying at a pub this weekend, who tell me their 3 chargers are all Tesla only chargers, so wont work with my type 2 connector? Is that correct?

Hi Richard,What the pub told you is sort of correct.There are different types of Tesla chargers and the compatibility can vary.Tesla have superchargers and these are normally only for Tesla cars. They use a combined charging system connector but they have specific software restrictions that can stop non Tesla electric cars from using them.They also have Tesla destination chargers and these are usually Type 2 connectors and are found at many hotels, restaurants,etc. In most cases, non Tesla EVs can use these chargers, but this will depend on whether the chargers allow access to all Type 2 compatible vehicles or just restricted to Tesla cars only.I would think the pub has Tesla destination chargers. If they are standard Type 2 connectors, your car should be able to use them unless they have been restricted to only allow charging for Tesla vehicles. It might be worth phoning them again and double checking or asking if they can inspect the chargers to see if they explicitly state any restrictions or if they are physically compatible.

Hope this helps.:smile:

• Like 1

yeah - theyve told me theyll only work with tesla. thanks - explanation makes sense

41 minutes ago, gingertips said:

yeah - theyve told me theyll only work with tesla. thanks - explanation makes sense

Nothing to stop you trying when you get there!

• Like 1

Worth looking up the pub on ZapMap as they sometimes have comments on what people have had success with.

Things like ZapMap and A Better Route Planner are essential for EV users.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links