Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My Doors Keep Giving Me An Electric Shock!

swales_p

This problem is really doing my head in now. Everytime i pull up and get out of my car, usually the turbo timer is still running, i get a !Removed! electric shock when closing the door. Its not bad but sometimes it catches me by surprise and i end up looking like a rite muppet!!!!

Does anyone know why this is happening, oh and please dont laugh! its becoming embarrasing!!!

Cheers :thumbsup:

Common cause is static electricity building up on the bodywork itself caused by the flow of ionised air over the metal body (at least that’s what I remember from GCSE physics).

You could fit one of those little rubber coated wire strips underneath the rear bumper (y’know those little black things that hang down). Its purpose is to earth the Shell of the car on the road surface as you drive along so there’s no opportunity for a build up.

Other than that I guess you could be feeding power into your bodywork from ICE or some other electrical source (such as turbo timer)… but there I would only be guessing.

The cure would be the same however.

my (low science ) 2 cents :) ....

Electric shock = wiring problem something not earthed right perhaps.

Static shock = as MR Physiscs says ;)

hth :)?

Here's my top tip :)

When getting out of the car, hold onto the door and don't let go until you're out and have both feet on the ground.

;)

Not kidding dude... my car gets me nearly everytime.. its funny when you have a passenger.. let them get out first.

I dont know what it is.. it happens all year round too.. its worse when you think you have got out safe and you use the key... aaagh.. right up the arm. Imagine the worst when you get out at a garage to fuel up!

My 'shocked' heart is with you on this one man!

Prob static m8 you will get this specially in the summer i usually get out with out touching the car (metal) and make sure the first thing that touches is the key in the lock (usually makes a little spark too).

I think the build up of the static is you, you are positively charged and when u touch the car u suddenly become earthed I.E. the shock.

You could ware an anti-static wrist band while u r driving u can get one from a computer shop for arr £5 that will cure it you may look a tool tho lol

hope this helps :thumbsup:

Not so sure on this. I had a similar problem on my diesel Pajero. It turned out to be the nylon seat protectors. Took em off. No more shocks. :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links