Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 - Battery Always Going Flat - Help Please :-)

monkeyboy69

Hello!!

Would really appreciate some help/advice on my MR2.

Car has been in a bodyshop for 5 Months getting bodykit etc etc - after few weeks in the garage, they told me they had problems starting car (needed fast charge all the time). Prior to going into garage, car would start no matter what condition (even if left for two weeks etc).

I replaced the Battery and things were ok for a couple of weeks - however problem is back again.

Another MR2 owner visiting bodyshop said he had same problem, something to do with a 'relay'??? Not sure what he meant...

The interior lights have been disconnected, stereo is 100% not on (key is not even turned in ignition) - can't think of anything else?? Does the MR2 have a light in the boot?

Driving me nuts.....

New bodykit comes with no handles or key holes, only using solenoids to open, so def do NOT want Battery going dead :-(

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Buckie

Do you have an immobiliser fob? Do you/the garage simply leave it in the hole all the time instead of removing it? That can cause a big drain on the Battery.

Is the alternator snafu? The garage should be able to tell you.

Similar problems here, if I leave my car for about a week without using it, it only *MIGHT* start, usually resulting with me needing to get a jump, after that its fine until I leave it again :unsure:

Not sure how to rectify it, I just make sure I dont leave it for any longer than a week myself.

Hi !!

No Immob Fob - however was reading another forum and noticed some other guy having same problems - about three replies saying this was the boot light staying on.

Total makes sense as this issue occured when car taken into garage (they replaced the whole rear end of car with kit) and therefore the little light would be on all the time.

Have phoned them and asked to remove bulb - see if this fixes it.

Thanks

Hi,

If the light in the boot is not the problem - will give the alternator thing a try.

What to look for/test or should I just phone one of those electrical guys to check it all out (pal of my dads does that type of stuff.)

Cheers

most likely an alternator problem as has been said, but also dont rule out grounding problems; it seems to be common in high mileage vehicles (but only like a 10% chance of that happening in a lower mileage 2 though)

I think everyone on the mr2 forum should meet up somewhere and get our alternators changed :lol::lol:

Mine is fine :thumbsup:

(But the old on my old MR2 broke :lol: )

If it's not really been driven anywhere whilst in the garage I can't see how it could be an alternator fault.

If people have been removing bits of bodywork and fiddling about you might have a short somewhere though.

I think everyone on the mr2 forum should meet up somewhere and get our alternators changed  :lol:  :lol:

(But the old on my old MR2 broke :lol: )

meh mines fine too after it was changed :yes: :P

I think everyone on the mr2 forum should meet up somewhere and get our alternators changed  :lol:  :lol:

Mines on it's third one! :eek:

I think everyone on the mr2 forum should meet up somewhere and get our alternators changed :lol::lol:

just had mine done! £150 inc fan belt + labor

haha, mine failed the day I drove it home after buying it! £240 all in to replace. makes me feel better knowing youve all had problems!

Alex

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links