Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hi Newbie (t Sport Questions!)

XTJC

Hi Guys

I am new to these boards and was hoping for a little advice :D

I will soon be receiving a new CTS and wondered about running in periods? I hve heard on other forums that if you hammer it from new for the first few miles and then take it easy you can get a better forge on the piston seals?

I will be owning the car for 2 years and anticipate 70k miles in this periods.

I have also read very mixed reviews about the CTS, I chose it for its toys and practicality first and its performance second. I also have the stripped clio 172 cup in my garage for weekends :thumbsup:

My second question is what can I expect from it performance wise compared to my current golf gti 1.8 T and the clio am most interested in the handling side!

Kind regards

Welcome to TOC. Onme of the T-Sport boys will be along soon enough to answer your questions!

Hello,

I have also heard that kind of advice regarding running in, and chose to ignore it in favour of the Toyota recommendation to run 2000-4000rpm for 1200m. I've done over 20000 and the engine seems flawless.

You will definitely notice it loosen up a lot after the 1200m period. By 5000m it will probably be as good as it's going to get. My 20k-mile engine feels just as good as it did after a few thousand.

Performance wise, if you are talking about the last Golf (ie. model before the current one), the CTS will slaughter that in a straight line. It is not far off the 0-60 time of the Clio. CTS 7.2sec, I've seen a Clio do 7.0sec. Somebody posted a movie a little while ago of a sprint between the two cars and it was fairly even.

Regarding the handling, you might want to look at the TTE mods (www.tte.de) for the car if you want a firmer, pointier ride.

However, I think you are right to chose the car for practicality and goodies. I wouldn't think you will be disappointed.

Cheers

Paul.

Thanks for the reply

My current golf mk4 also handles like a house so I am hoping for some improvements there but wanted the CTS over the CTR :o as its not so hard in the ride and of course its fully loaded which you need for a company car! Bearing in mind its a company car no suspension mods allowed :angry:

The clio is the cup version which was tested in autocar as 6.5 and 16.9 to 60 and the ton respectivly though tbh on real roads it won't pull from the std 172 which is in your video! Same video was posted on cliosport.net some time ago and caused a few upsets B)

Looking forward to receiving it anyway!

Hey

Have to say you made a good choice with the car, I have an 2002 CTS and must say it is a very rewarding car to drive, the lift is amazing and the car is boss in the wet.

Me and the girlfriend have a Clio sport 182 on order so i can't wait for that also, my mate has a Clio 172 Cup and there is nothing in it at all, i can keep on the bumper of the clio all the way, think if it was a straight long long road the CTS might have it on top speed?

As far as the Golf goes i take it yours was the 2.0 litre 130bhp model, not only is the CTS far quicker but i have personaly wiped the floor with a 150 GTi thats the one with the Turbo, drag type race all the way up a dual carriage way, don't think the guy knew what he was messing with, just give you CTS 2000 Miles to bed in, then boot it and enjoy. One tip stick to 97 Octane fuel as i totaly notice the difference with the car using cheaper fuel.

By the way what colour you getting?

Car will be black, is the 'lift' similer to vtec in a type R?

Golf is the turbo model but does struggle in the bends unlike the cup and your 182 which absolutly love them!

You will not be disapoited with the 182 - did you order the cup packs?

hi welcome to TOC

i have a 2 week old CTS, when i took delivery from toyota i asked about running in the reply i got was theres no need .

and as for lift :D

you'll know it when it happens :D

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :eek::drool::drool::thumbsup:

sorry . as for handling :D :D :D

the safest car ive ever driven .

even more so in the wet :lol::lol:

I have the school of thought run it in properly 500 miles no more than 4000 when warm, then up to 5000 until 1000 ish miles even then i like to let it properly warm up before taking it above 6000, be patient it will be so much better for the engine in the long run, don't skimp on oil either fully synthetic is expensive but this motor revs alot...

My cars now done 1100 miles i've taken it right up to 8500 a couple of times briefly and man it sounds stonking... :drool:

Quite a few different dealers (renault & toyota) have said to me in the past a car didn't need running in. But in the manual it did. I ran mine in for about 1200 miles. But i still could resist using lift once or twice before. :wacko:

I didn't run in mine and it goes very well as always :D I floored it from day one and i had no troubles what so ever. Yes, the manual says to run in the engine but the modern engines of today needs no run in because of the higher quality of todays parts.

Just bought the TTE-grille for my CTS and it looks awsome! :D

Now i'm waiting for the H&R springs to arrive so i can lower it also.. the handling will be muh improved..

Thanks for the replies guys, I will take it easy but want to experience this 'lift' thingy lol!

Always wanted to experience vtec in a type r and I assume this will be similer?

PaulT you wouldn't happen to put pen to paper occasionally would you? Defending the evoness of the CTS :thumbsup:

PaulT you wouldn't happen to put pen to paper occasionally would you? Defending the evoness of the CTS :thumbsup:

Crikey! Did they print it? I looked in last month's issue and it wasn't in. I need to check this month's.

Well their reviewer just wound me up, clearly hadn't bothered to test the car properly! :D

Cheers

Paul.

Crikey! Did they print it? I looked in last month's issue and it wasn't in. I need to check this month's.

Well their reviewer just wound me up, clearly hadn't bothered to test the car properly! :D

Cheers

Paul.

Which Mag was this in?

I would run it in, dosnt seem right to take the engine round to 8k before giving the engine time to settle in

The lift is soo good, always puts a smile on my face. :D Compared to the vtec on the trype r, I think it comes in around 6 (Nik will comfirm with this, I have driven mates Type R a while ago) same as CTS, you get bit more of a punch in CTR than CTS but I can assure you you wont be dissapointed.

Which Mag was this in?

I've seen it now, it's in the November Evo. I don't think they took the mild criticism of the testing and review process too well :lol:

Cheers

Paul.

Car will be black, is the 'lift' similer to vtec in a type R?

Golf is the turbo model but does struggle in the bends unlike the cup and your 182 which absolutly love them!

You will not be disapoited with the 182 - did you order the cup packs?

Just ordered the Cup spolier pack, my girlfriend didn't like the smoked alloys so we couldn't get the suspension pack :(

Can't wait for it to come in, be great too see how well it handles.

Think balck is the best colour, exactly what i plan to replace mine with.

Not too sure about the Type R, but think the CTS is more of a Surge, you can realy feel the lift coming in.

You will be more than welcome on www.cliosport.net where you will find lots of useful info on the 182.

:thumbsup:

Cheers Mate

Will Take a look at that :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links