Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help! Lambda Sensor Needed

Nina the Carina

I hope someone out there can assist as I have a sneeking suspicion I'm being ripped off.

I have a "N" plate 1996 Carina E 1.8 Gli 5 gear saloon, and I love her to bits as we have been together for 6 years and 85000 miles but....

My engine management light has illuminated (for the 2nd time) and last time it cost over £200 for a new lambda. I've been checking out the web this time to see if I can get a cheaper one via "lambda direct" etc and they only list the 1.6 as being a lean burn engine that would need the genuine Toyota part.

Mine DOES NOT have the economy light on the dashboard (like my dad's had in his 1.6) and I'm wondering if a Universal Lambda would do as I don't believe mine is a lean burn.

If it helps, my chassis number starts SB153ABK10E005... and the engine number 7AU138427

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I know that Toyota kept on changing the engines in the early Carina E's.

Please email me at Nigelmozz@aol.com - and yes she is called Nina!

I'd read the trouble code from the ecu before you start buying O2 probes you may not need... I could be any number of things causing the light to come on.

Have you done any diagnostics on the ECU to prove it is a code 21 (ie o2 sensor prob)? And also, have you done any reset on the ECU either, especially after the sensor was replaced?

As far as Im aware, the 1.8 carinas were all leanburn (correct me if Im wrong guys!), as they were designed for "fleet" use so needed good mpg to sell well.

Hope you get this sorted!

BTW our carinas are called Rina and Rina Two! :D

Sorry can;t really help you on lambdas... but I had to say Nine the Carina is a cracking name :lol::lol::lol::lol:

• 1 month later...

Hi Nige,

My carina e 1.8GS has now gone through 2 lambda sensors. Unfortunately these sensors are unique to the Carina E lean burn engines and are very expensive (something to do with them being "4 wire" rather than "2 wire" as on most cars). They cost approx £350 from a toyota dealer or £250 from certain car parts shops. Alternatively you may be able to get them from a scrap yard for approx £80-£90.

Carina Es are well known for lambda sensor failure and it's a pain in the wallet especially when they are so expensive. before you definitely replace it , it may be worthwhile checking the error codes to make sure it is the sensor.

Good luck.

Most cars use 4 wire o2 sensors these days. the additional wires are for a heater element that gets the zirconia sensing element up to its operating temperature a little quicker.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links