Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Reseting The Ecu

seveer unaek

Is there any point in doing this? Im talking along the lines of if i start to fill up with Shell Optimax, would it be wise to reset the ECU, then go for a drive in a few different styles so it can learn and adapt to them? Or is this unnecessary on a Yaris?

Not knowing too much on this subject but I would have thought the on board electronics would adapt to the type of fuel you put in be it 95ron (unleaded) or 97ron (BP Ultimate etc)

I’ve decided that I will in future (after reading other users experiences) only use the ordinary 95ron unleaded, but from BP and not any supermarkets etc as I really haven’t noticed any difference in performance.

Just my $0.02 worth :thumbsup:

i used bp ultimate in my TS and its no fkin different (apart from the bloddy price). its better than putting diesel in though.

Maybe if you reset your ECU it will be??!! I might have to try it, just to see if anything happens. At least with a higher Octane level, your engine will be free of any carbon deposits!

my ecu had to be reset because my car would not start, it was shoved on a diagnostics machine and the ECU had errors on it and had no idea why, so hadta be reset then it worked.

this was when i had my crash and they left the light on and ran down the Battery all the way.

duno, the diagnostic place did it! i wasnt there, the people at the garage who were fixing the car caused it, so they took it down to that place.

Pretty sure it'll make no difference. The Yaris ECU maps on the fly depending on wha tthe sensors tell it. If there is a difference its more likely to be pyschological than real.

I use Shell V-Power 101 and I sense no difference in performance... I still use it cause either I'm pretty dence or I believe that it will keep my fuel system cleaner... not sure which though... :)

I'm trading in my remapped (90hp) petrol smart for a d-4d today cos I now need rear seats.

I have recorded every tank of fuel for the last 4yrs/4 smarts and I can say that Shell Optisplurt and the BP stuff make a bl**dy huge difference in the smart, mid range torque and top end are much better.

Fuel economy?It is not really an issue once you drive a smart quickly, I regularly get 30mpg around town and down to 25mpg on motorways.

Well .... I paid for the turbo, I may as well use it :D

I use Shell optimax and i did not reset the ecu. Still i notice alot of difference. I wouldnt really use anything else now. Tried but they all make the car sluggish. Really Difference. Use it often may be that will help so the system will be full of the optimax only.

Filled it up with the Optimax stuff and the only difference is that my wallet is fair bit lighter!! Time will tell if economy is improved though!

Just use Shell's standard unleaded. It's cleaner then supermarket - and the same price. Didn't shell/bp get done for advertising ultimate/optimax as making ur car go quicker? - false advertising and all - i think they just advertise it as being much cleaner and better for your car now.

Nope, they still say it improves performance... BP say a 1.8 can feel like a 2.0. And an old diesel can feel like a new one. Balls.

Nope, they still say it improves performance... BP say a 1.8 can feel like a 2.0. And an old diesel can feel like a new one. Balls.

YEAH BUT A DIESEL WILL STILL BE SHEEEEEEIIIIITTTTEEEEE :yes:

That it willl, that it will. Mind you, I came accross a unique one yesterday.

I met up with a friend who brought a friend who had a 306 HDI. But i wasn't normal... instead of a normal exhaust, it had no cat, no back-box, no nothing! Just a straight pip from engine to back! Now that was one loud car!

Two things about diesels.

- they sound like vans

- they don't have enough revs

I'd have to think very long and very hard before buying a diesel, unless it was purely about fuel economy.

instead of a normal exhaust, it had no cat, no back-box, no nothing! Just a straight pip from engine to back! Now that was one loud car!

Invalid MOT then?

instead of a normal exhaust, it had no cat, no back-box, no nothing! Just a straight pip from engine to back! Now that was one loud car!

Invalid MOT then?

Very much so.... excpet that his dad runs a garage that does MOT's, so the emissions test goes on another car. I didn't like that. Bit dis-honest for my tastes.

With Shell Optimax, you should notice a slight increase in throttle response.

Mind you, it would normally take at least 3 or 4 tank fulls to notice any difference ........ Ive been using it for about 2 years and in all honesty..... I wouldnt use anything else now!! :thumbsup:

As for resetting the ECU.... I didnt bother, as ive heard it should automatically adapt!!

Lee

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links