Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Camry V6 Or 4 Cyl?

RAP

I’m thinking about getting a Camry. I set out wanting a V6 but I don’t see too many for sale. I would be looking for a 2002 or newer, how does the Camry perform with only the 4 cyl vs. the V6?

Thanks for any info

I’m thinking about getting a Camry.  I set out wanting a V6 but I don’t see too many for sale.  I would be looking for a 2002 or newer, how does the Camry perform with only the 4 cyl vs. the V6?

Thanks for any info

I highly recommend you avoid 2002 and newer Camry's at all costs! Go through some of the threads posted here...especially: "2003 Camry Alignment Problems...Car Doesn't Steer right"

Toyota Camry quality is well known to have slipped significantly in the 2002 and later years...

And, their product support? Forget it!

I've sworn off Toyota permenantly, after my 03 Camry experience.... :angry:

I’m thinking about getting a Camry.  I set out wanting a V6 but I don’t see too many for sale.  I would be looking for a 2002 or newer, how does the Camry perform with only the 4 cyl vs. the V6?

Thanks for any info

I highly recommend you avoid 2002 and newer Camry's at all costs! Go through some of the threads posted here...especially: "2003 Camry Alignment Problems...Car Doesn't Steer right"

Toyota Camry quality is well known to have slipped significantly in the 2002 and later years...

And, their product support? Forget it!

I've sworn off Toyota permenantly, after my 03 Camry experience.... :angry:

Are these troubles affecting the US built or Japanese built Camry's? UK built Toyota's have there fair share of trouble too over the last few years.

• 1 month later...

I dunno about everyone else, but I love my 2002 Camry. Granted I just bought it, but it runs amazingly well. My mom's about ready to get rid of her Lexus GS300 cause my 2002 Camry XLE V6 is almost the same car, minus a few minor gadgets and with more trunk space!

I also had your dilemma regarding the I4/V6. I test drove both and they both drive very well, but the V6 seems to be a much smoother ride (heavier engine). It's the same engine as the ES300 apparently. If you can afford it and don't mind spending extra money on gas I recommend the V6, but I wouldn't make the my number one priority if you find a really good deal on a 4 cylinder.

p.s: Sorry if this is too late, I just saw your post today.

• 1 month later...

I would not even CONSIDER a Camry 4 cylinder unless it is a manual.

The automatic 4 cylinder Camry is an absolute dog....and this is coming from a guy who drives a 108 hp car.

Yeah, my '96 auto 5sfe is no road-burner. But, its also very efficient, simple to work on, and comfortably cruises on the freeway at 90 all day.

I would love a manual though. Judging by the way my 5sfe runs, I think a manual might actually bring a bit of fun to my staid beige family sedan.

Well, yours is the slightly smaller, lighter Camry too. Those aren't bad at all. I'm thinking of the newer model, assuming they have the same chassis there, the new car just seems too large for a 4 cylinder IMO. With a manual it would be OK I think, perhaps.

Got to remember the cost of fuel over there.

A turbodiesel Camry would be nice, have you considered that? You're lucky to have the choice, we do not here.

He's from Indiana.

Unless Hoosierland has removed itself from the Union, I think he's got the same car options you do :P

He's from Indiana.

Unless Hoosierland has removed itself from the Union, I think he's got the same car options you do  :P

Doh! I missed that. :blink:

In that case, get the 4 cylinder with a manual transmission only or get a V6, fella.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links