Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gt4 Insurance!

chrisb

Hey kids!

im looking into the possibility of getting a gt4 in september and was wondering roughly what people were paying for insurance?

I will be twenty with (hopefully)2yrs ncb

i was wondering what people were paying at what age!ncb, insurance company etc!

i was looking at getting a facelift st205 c.1996 approx.£7500

Thanks guys

(sorry if this is a repeat of a previous thread but i searched but couldnt find any relevent info!!

CB :thumbsup:

a boy of 19 in gt40c recons he got a quote of £1370 from adrian flux tpft only.

also depends on if its a uk car or jap import. also running costs are quite high to , along with your insurance expect deep pockets .

you'll struggle to get a UK car mate,

im 22 (was 21 when started insurance) 3 years no-claims

For an import £1500, (or £1300 for 10 months) (2 companies quoted)

UK £1200+ (about 4 companies quoted)

my advice wait till 21 with 3 years NCB (at least) then theres the fuel, expect £50 optimax/ultimate to last 200-250 miles, Fig 8's and lower arms £900+ parts + fitting go every 60k-80k as a rough guide

Clutch is about £600+ (minimum, if it goes, as most places take the engine/gearbox out)

suspension if it needs replacing £1000+ for stock even more if you want to uprate it...

etc, etc.........

Im not trying to put you off, just letting you know what it may cost, I wouldnt give my '95 JDM ST205 up for the world, but it takes just about all of my money :-(

Andy.

my advice would be to keep the yaris or buy a st202 uk model. 173 bhp just as much fun to any 20 yr old for a few years.

Are UK cars cheaper to insure because iv done some quotes!and on the ones ive done there is no difference in price between the JDM and UK cars!

The cheapest quote iv got so far is just over 2K fully comp which seemed ok to me!but i havnt tried everyone yet!

does this seem ok to you?

my dad has the 1.8sr which i have driven a fair bit but definatly needs more go!

The cost of maintaining the vehicle seems very high!i would over a period intend on changing suspension etc and dont do many miles so iwouldnt imagine it would be to bad!

Thanks for the input chaps! :thumbsup:

CB

they used to be cheaper to insure , not anymore as most parts are now in the uk.

if you drive the st202 2.0 3sge engine you would feel the difference between that and the slow as hell 1.8 st.

i pay 450 tpft,with all the mods listed and i did have 5 points,they have gone now tho,

try egg insurance they are good also liverpool victoria......

£ 398 fully comp jap import. <_<

my dad has the 1.8sr which i have driven a fair bit but definatly needs more go!

There is a huge difference between the 1.8 st and 2l gt. Obviously, it's nothing on gt4, but at your age insurance companies will rape you over a gt4.

one of my friends has been looking to get a st202 model, i tried convinsing her to get a GT4 but she doesn't like the front end :blink:

anyways it's cheaper to insure a ST185 (gt4 obviously) than it is to insure a ST202. just my 2p

oh i'm £977 sharing a policy with my dad and only driving for 1 month when i started the policy thru elephant. they added £300 as soon as the word import was mentioned

It depends on how much spare cash you've got! If you don't mind spending 7500 on the car and 2000 on insurance then go for it. Personally I wouldn't like to see the insurance companies get so much money but if your desperate. I went down a different route. I got the 1.8st so I've got the sporty car looks with cheap insurance and the speed is acceptable for me for the traffic I drive in. If I want speed I've got my motorbike which will out perform the GT4 with no worries and the insurance on that is only £300. So all in all my insurance for both vehicles is under £1000. :D

Don't forget to push the 1.8 when you're driving it. 2nd and 3rd gear can last ages

In reply to your insurance question:

I brought a Celica GT last summer after wanting a GT4. I tried every insurance agent and they all ether wanted to shaft me hard up the ring peice with about +2K insurance for a UK spec (extremely rare & expensive!!) or if I looked at any import model (even GT) they just laughed at me and said come back when you are 25!

I am 23 with 4 years no claims and I tried every insurance company I could find as I have alot of time on my hands after just finishing uni.

If you find an insurance company that is genuinely able to insure you for a non rediculus price, then please e-mail me or something so I can ask for a quote too.

FYI:

I test drove a GT after giving up on getting a GT4 and I would never look back as the insurance is cheap and runs on next to no petrol (with a light foot), various mods have been done to the car such as Supra style wing, lowered, twin custom exaust, K&N, sick ICE etc... get a GT as I garrenty you will not be disaponted as it is a darn site quicker than the ST and it looks F*&$ing great. get a post 96 model for the more modern looking 6th gen celica too.

Thanks for all the input guys!

i would get a a GT but in my opinion any increase in performance would be waste of money!

if i can get insured on a gt4 for around 2k then i will probably get one!(i have quotes near to that)

my car would also be my hobby(track days,club events,meets and shows etc) so i wouldnt mind spending a fair bit on insurance!

my first year on my 1.3 yaris was 1300 quid!So around 2k for a '4 two years on seems pretty reasonable to me!the only thing that is slightly bothering me is the cost of the repairs etc!but if i went for it ow would have to find a tidy example and be very picky!

Cheers

who quoted that price ???

it was a company on confused.com!

quote-a-car i think anyone know of them?any dealings with,reputation???

Cheers

find out who is there cheapest quoter , and call the cheapest yourself , quote a car charges stupid money ontop for themselves.

So infact there would be two middlemen confused and quote a car?or doesnt confused charge?

the quote a car quote was about 500 quid cheaper then any others do they not give certain privelages etc to get the price so much cheaper?

dont forgte all online quotes will be for UK cars, JDM adds usually around 15%-30%, and only about 3 or 4 companies will cover under 25's on an import ST205 (Trust me i know......21 (22 now) '96 JDM ST205 £1300 elephant (10 months policy) or £1500 Norwich Union (12 months) were the best i got

imho i wouldnt advise anyone under 21 with 3 years driving experience to get a GT-Four, i wouldnt trust em with the power. (Sorry but this is only my oppinion and you must take no notice of me :eek: )

my insurance company didnt charge any extra for a jdm , saying if its on their database ( the registration number ) they insure them as uk models because of the influx of spares in the uk now. personnally i would not have such a car on a tpft policy as your no claims cannot be protected , i agree with andrew also , lads of 20 , 21 will just be complete anusess in a gt4 most of the time.

as a 22 year old I totally agree - Give me a GT4 and I would probably be a right tit in it! Having said that I don't do too bad on my bike, but you feel so protected in a car, I guess experience is everything and that's why 18-21 year olds have the most crashes!

I can assure you(although it a different matter when it comes to insurance companies)i am a very safe and cafefull driver, i havent ever had any accidents!

i always drive at the speed limit!although iv only got a year and a bit driving experience(2yrs when i change car) i have probably done getting on for 30k miles!

i have noticed the beams ss3 on another thread would this be a better option for someone of my age?

Cheers CB :thumbsup:

It might seem a lot of experience, 1 year and 30k, it isn't - My first two years of driving I was doing over 25k a year in the car plus about 5k a year on the motorbike, since then I have been doing about 15k a year in the car and 1k a year on the bike. I've been driving for 5 years now.

So anyway that's over 100 thousand miles and 5 years experience. I have never caused an accident but two of my vehicles have been written off due to other stupid road users. I consider myself to be a very careful driver (you have to be when you go out on a bike) I often break speed limits but only where I believe it is safe to do so.

Having said all that I still wouldn't get a GT4 at my age, I would prefer to work up slowly to it gaining experience with faster cars as I go. I don't mean to be rude but a Yaris to a GT4 is a hell of a difference. If you can afford it and afford the possibility of not having the experience to handle it then sure go for it.

Also if you drive at the speed limit all the time - what is the point of having such a fast car?? Although I think you did mention going on track days. Well why not get one just for that. You don't need insurance then, just a low loader and something to pull it!!! :D

As a final winge... If you go for a GT4 next at 21 or whatever age you are, what's next?? It kinda narrows the field for progression - You will then spend the rest of your driving life looking for something better! That's going to get expensive!! :D

Anyway good luck with whatever you decide :thumbsup:

The ss3 (only available as an import) is the vvti version of the GT. It has an extra 30hp, which could be useful. Insurance should be cheaper than a GT4, but it's not always that straight forward with imports (e.g. a N/A supra costs the same as a twin turbo to insure).

But I thought you had your heart set on a 4wd turbo?

The way I see it with insurance, is that most people don't deliberately have accidents, but there must be some drivers out there with terrible histories, and we all get tarred with the same brush. I couldn't justify paying over a grand a year for insurance (except on something like a ferrari, but then if I could afford one, I wouldn't be worried about the cost of insurance), based on the likelihood of having to make a claim.

For £2000 I want a bit more than a certificate to say I'm insured. Think what else you could buy with that money (like 2 years worth of petrol!).

I would go for a gt for now, give it 2 years, and the cost of insuring a gt4 will tumble (assuming you don't make any claims). Depends if you have the patience though?

I'm 24 with 1 years ncb (been driving under my parents insurance for years to that point). Been driving since I was 17 with no points or accidents and many many miles.

My UK GT costs me ~600 fully comp from Elephant.co.uk. I've found them to be far far cheaper than anyone else I've had quotes from. Give them a go.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links