Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mk1 Mr2

Fidgits

Having read up on the MR2's a little, it seems the MK1 MR2 was seen as a 'drivers car', and while the MK2 was faster, the MK1 handled better??

Now, the stats state the Mk1 was only 0.5 sec slower to 60..

but what is your opinion, is it a drivers car? or will i need a flat cap and pipe to go with one?

they are so much fun to drive!

better than mk2 for handling!

was playing with one a while back, you can put half a turn of lock on, toe it, the back flicks round and you can momentarilly hold it and then shoot off

the 1.6 is not too lairy but has enough grunt to make it tyre shredding fun

hmm, okay cool....

Unfortunatly the insurance isnt much cheaper than the MK2.. and i'v heard they're a rot box, but i think i might have to investigate further..

If you doing it - think about a supercharged transplant - no flat cap or pipe needed.

The supercharged version was sold in the States and Japan.

i will probably be doing this on a small budget, so i dont know if i can get hold of a supercharged version...

I was planning on a MK2 N/A (turbo was just too pricey), but i thought the MK1 might of been another alternative..

Quality car mate. But very hard to find a well looked after one about. You will have to look high and low to find a really good one. But yes mate they are a hoot to drive mate :yes:

jerry!!

Very good drivers cars, but I feel very underpowered.

Ian, I know you can get very cheap insurance on mk1's if you are over 30.

I always feel the term "drivers car" hints at a light, nimble car which is underpowered and has no creature comforts ..

There are a few things you need to look out for on them. Finding one for under a grand will almost certainly have a few niggles to sort.

Check out MKI Buyers Guide for some very useful info :thumbsup:

I have also been toying with the idea of a MKI (for about 8 months now) as a replacement for the Corolla. I really miss RWD and can't afford a MKII tubby just yet.

I have a few options:

1] Find a low miler with knackered body work, sell the Corolla and begin MKI restoration project.

2] Find a MKI with a good to perfect body but knackered engine and transplant the Corolla's late spec low mileage engine into it. Scrapping/breaking the chassis and other bits of the Corolla.

Good luck mate and let us know how you get on :thumbsup:

ok im currently in the process of gettin a turbo mk2. from past experience what are they like to run? fuel costs, parts going wrong etc. ive got a mk2 n/a at the moment, how will it compare? cheers

well, if work isnt too busy tomorrow, ill go have a look at the one locally.. but from the price, i dont imagine its going to be in pristine condition...

well, if work isnt too busy tomorrow, ill go have a look at the one locally.. but from the price, i dont imagine its going to be in pristine condition...

What's he asking?

If you decide not to go for it can you email or PM me details after you have viewed it?

you have a PM winging its way to you Garrick...

Sometimes I wonder if these small used car lot owners have the faintest idea how to sell a car...

I've owned a mk1 for about 4 years and now own a mk2. Love them both for different reasons.

The mk1 is definately better round the corners. The mk1 owners club mag had a nice story in it once about a supercharger version which whipped a lotus elise's **** during a track day. They're not at all slow, just all the torque's high up in the rev band - keep the revs up (and I mean up) and you can do wonders.

And they stick to the road like glue - some wide 16" alloys on her and some nice tires will ensure you'd only be able to come unstuck by doing something really silly.

I sold my mk1 to my dad when he retired. He completely refurbished the rear arches where the rot had started (this is the only place you really have to worry about - the rest stays good unless the car's been treated like a !Removed!). Rear arches can be done quite easily with some fibreglass or an arch kit depending on how bad the damage is.

Now she's perfect again and a real beauty. I love the fact she's still arround for me to mess with every now and again - when I do it's like driving a rolerskate compaired to my Mk2.

Here's (clicky) a shot of the two lovelies together... it's not exactly great... but the only one I have available right now without the number plates showing.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links