Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Sat Nav - Cd To Dvd

Starensis

Does anyone know if the TNS300 ( DVD Based ) unit will plug straight into the wiring loom of a car with TNS200 ( CD based ) system?

<_<

Would not suprise me if it does: I installed a TNS300 using the instructions diagram from my dealer of the TNS 200. The connections you have to make for some single wires and the used connectors are identical to TNS300 (according to the dealer). As both units hook into the same standard Toyota unit, they are probably electrically compatible. At least the TNS300 I installed is working fine now.....

-Victor

I hope your right. I may enquire on how much a DVD unit costs.

By doing this you only need one disk for Europe opposed to one for every country with the CD system.

Thanks.

• 4 months later...

Do you know if the reverse also works ?

I mean using TNS 200 CD in the TNS300 DVD reader ??? :)

I will make some enquiries over the nwxt couple of weeks. I have some close contact at Toyota Dealerships.

If I can, I will try a TNS 300 in my TNS 200 Avensis & see if it works oK. The other options are:-

1. See if DVD base data can be burned onto a CD and run in the TNS 200.

2. Find out if the TNS 200 Cd unit can be modified to run the TNS 300 DVD.

I've already e-mailed electronic retailers with option 2. As soon as I get a reply I will post.

There is software available, for option 1, which will transfer data form DVD to CD. Costs around £25 off Internet.

Failing all this, suggest we all make a compliant to TGB asking why no recent updates are available & why the cost is so prohibitive.

:crybaby:

I applaud the level you guys are going to to get your Sat Nav's correct. But wait a minute with the proliferation of much cheaper sat nav systems on the market isn't it time Mr Toyota GB got to grips with it self and stop ripping off us customers . :ffs:

Come on Toyota drop your'e upgrade DVD price ..............

I applaud the level you guys are going to to get your Sat Nav's correct. But wait a minute with the proliferation of much cheaper sat nav systems on the market isn't it time Mr Toyota GB got to grips with it self and stop ripping off us customers .  :ffs:

Come on Toyota drop your'e upgrade DVD price ..............

OR DOWNLOAD LATEST TNS300 DVD 2004-2005 V2 FROM E-MULE F.O.C :thumbsup:

I will make some enquiries over the nwxt couple of weeks.  I have some close contact at Toyota Dealerships.

If I can, I will try a TNS 300 in my TNS 200 Avensis & see if it works oK.  The other options are:-

1. See if DVD base data can be burned onto a CD and run in the TNS 200.

2. Find out if the TNS 200 Cd unit can be modified to run the TNS 300 DVD.

I've already e-mailed electronic retailers with option 2.  As soon as I get a reply I will post.

There is software available, for option 1, which will transfer data form DVD to CD.  Costs around £25 off Internet.

Failing all this, suggest we all make a compliant to TGB asking why no recent updates are available & why the cost is so prohibitive.

:crybaby:

well, to make the TNS200 able to read the TNS300 DVDs the first thing you would need to change is the disk drive, it will be a CD-rom drive, and they are physically different from a DVD-drive and cannot read DVDs. Next it would require some hardware or firmare upgrade to read the dvds. I am guessing it would be easier to just buy a TNS300 and plug it in.

As far as transfering the dvd data to the cd, the 'compression' software you can get to convert DVDs to CDs is for movies. It works by reencoding the movie into a different format ( know as VCD or SVCD ) that can fit about 40-60 minutes of video at something like VHS quality onto a CD. This does NOT work with data, it cant be reencoded as it is not a movie, compressing it would require the reader to know how to uncompress it. To be honest I would be surprised if the CD and DVD arent compressed in some way already.

The updates do seem to be damned expensive, but there may be licensing issues in there too. It is very bad if Toyota have stopped producing updates now, jusyt because the new cars have a dvd based system, its like stopping producing parts for a 2 year old car cos you dont make them anymore.

Still, if you can plug a TNS300 straight in to the wiring loom used for a TNS200 that would be one option.

sorry if that turned it a garbled rant :)

Dooby,

Thanks for your thoughts on this issue.

I'm not sure what the price comparisons would be to convert CD to DVD or buy a DVD unit!

The question is, is it really worth the additional expense?? I find the TNS 200 OK, it's just the bloody updates are so expensive!!!!

I would pay £50-£60 every 3 years to update my system, but NOT £140!! :arrgg-matey:

Come on Toyota, either drop the price or allow a third party to retail at a realistic price. :censor:

I did write to IF magazine ( Received by Club Toyota members ) about this, but surprise, surprise, it didn't get published. :(

Can anyone invite TGB to justify their pricing on new discs??

Dooby,

Thanks for your thoughts on this issue.

I'm not sure what the price comparisons would be to convert CD to DVD or buy a DVD unit!

The question is, is it really worth the additional expense??  I find the TNS 200 OK, it's just the &#33;Removed&#33; updates are so expensive!!!!

I would pay £50-£60 every 3 years to update my system, but NOT £140!!  :arrgg-matey:

Come on Toyota, either drop the price or allow a third party to retail at a realistic price.  :censor:

I did write to IF magazine ( Received by Club Toyota members ) about this, but surprise, surprise, it didn't get published. :(

Can anyone invite TGB to justify their pricing on new discs??

To be honest I would spend the money on a PDA type solution, using an iPaq or similar. You have a wider choice of software, and equipment, can remove it from the car; use it for walking, street map or ( in my case ) marine navigation.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links