Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cold Air Intake

ds2000

Hi all,

My friend at work is after a CAI for his Celica, do you know anyone that can provide him with one?

Thanks!!

Dave

Edited by ds2000

I belive K&N make a 57i kit for the 5th gen celica. Dunno about the rest.

What year and model is it?

Its a 1996 STi.

Isn't the K&N Short RAM? CAI is the preference is thats possible.

B)

• 1 month later...

go to an exhaust shop and get a pipe made up with mandrels run it down into the skidpan and buy a pod from any perofrmance shop./..

Basic Intake Facts:

The cone filter frees up the breathing of the car by enabling air to be ingested from all sides (as opposed to a panel filter). More restriction is also freed up by using filter media that flows at a higher rate than a stock filter. BE WARNED: with air filters, you tend to get what you pay for, and cheaper filters may not filter as well as the big name filters.

Intakes are not the only option for more power due to induction. Many brands including Tom's, K&N, and TRD make drop-in replacements for OEM filters. Some consider factory air boxes to be superior due to a lack of exposure to high under hood temperatures.

Intakes are often a first improved part to owners new to modification, due to their relatively low cost and ease of installation. Here's a little bit of information about intakes for 5th generation (90-93) normally aspirated Celica’s. These facts all apply to 5SFE motors, but I believe that the fitment will apply to 4AFE motors as well.

Short Rams are probably the most common type of intake. They usually consist of a short pipe that may or may not have bends in it with a cone or pod shaped filter on the end.

There is one application-specific intake for the 5th generation Celica, it is made by WeaponR. It is seen above installed on my 1992 GT coupe. The pipe basically looks like an "L". Cost should be around $150, with filter included. If you go this route, I recommend that you either not get the foam filter or get a different filter because the foam one that WeaponR uses tends to break down quickly in climates with large temperature changes and can be sucked into the engine.

Another option is to get an intake pipe for a Honda Civic and buy a universal cone filter. The Civic pipe basically looks like an "L" with the angle between the pieces being greater than 90 degrees. This is usually a more cost effective option (many companies make intakes for Civics). Some modification is required, meaning you have to cut some pipe off the long end and drill a hold for the air intake sensor. Very easy stuff.

Cold air intakes are like a short ram intake, but the pipe extends down to the bottom of the engine compartment or under the car, in an attempt to get the engine colder air. With some cold air intakes, you will need to worry about hydro lock, or sucking water into your engine. This is very bad because liquids, especially water, do not compress as well as a gas. There are two application specific cold air intakes on the market for GT and GT-S Celica’s. The Iceman is now discontinued, but you can still find used versions for sale. The other is made by a Canadian company called Induction Dynamics. You could also build a custom intake yourself. People have used both PVC and exhaust piping. Exhaust piping will be more expensive, but will look nicer and have better longevity. The decided best size for a normally aspirated intake is around 2.5”, because the stock throttle body is about that size and the intake will only flow the amount that the throttle body can flow.

Filter Comparison: http://www.gtrowner.com/induction.html

several popular filter types are compared for a Supra application, but the findings should apply to other applications.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links