Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla Alarm

ahmedz123

My t-spirit(o2 plate) i sall standard. What is the standard alarm like? does it have sensors etc? What other functions does it have? is it a reliable alarm or should i change it to a cat 1?

I've got the same type of car, and i was wondering that as well :lol:

I've personally had no probs with my car alarm, all i know, the key flob unlocks and locks my car accordingly :thumbsup:

It's doesn't close the windows :angry: or the sunroof :lol: and as for the car's double locking system haven't got a clue how it's suppose to work :lol:

I don't think it's up to CAT 1 standard, but just a basic manufactures basics.

It doesn't sound the alarm when the windows are open and i lean in, so no type of microwave senors, as for trying to unlock the car in this state, didn't wanna scare the neighbours or myself :lol: so i haven't tried it so far..

I think it might be worth investing in a proper car alarm, such as clifford, sigma, etc etc etc... :bookworm: depending of what your putting inside your car, or just for the sake for a bit cheaper car insurance

Thats my 2 pence bit...

:thumbsup:

My t-spirit(o2 plate) i sall standard.  What is the standard alarm like?  does it have sensors etc? What other functions does it have? is it a reliable alarm or should i change it to a cat  1?

Only problem I have had with my alarm (t-sport) was the 'known about' issue with it activating shortly after being parked after a run due to the bonnet flexing as it cools and moving away from the bonnet sensor/switch.

The solution which is posted elsewhere is to stick a small packing piece on the bonnet where it makes contact with the sensor switch.

I've got the same type of car, and i was wondering that as well  :lol:

and as for the car's double locking system haven't got a clue how it's suppose to work  :lol:

All the double locking does is prevent a door being opened by breaking a window and reaching in.

One press of the remote locks the doors (but would allow somebody locked inside the car to open the door if needed) a second press disables the interior door handles so should only be used if there is no one in the car.

But how can you tell if it's double locked then, it's not like i'm gonna break in to my own car and find out :lol:

Is there someway that it shows/tell/notices it :help:

But how can you tell if it's double locked then, it's not like i'm gonna break in to my own car and find out  :lol:

Is there someway that it shows/tell/notices it  :help:

Yes when you press the lock button once the indicators flash once and you can (assuming you do not have a hearing impairment) hear a distinct sound as the doors lock. If you press again you again get one indicator flash and the sound of the locking solenoids/relays.

Now assuming (as per the OP's post) there are no internal sensors (and I don't 100% know if there are or there are not) it is actually easy to test.

Before you switch your engine off open a window fully. Then double lock your car as per the procedure above, (just to repeat for those that may have problems keeping up - that's two separate presses of the lock button on your remote key)

Then reach through the open (note 'open' not broken window) and try to open your door using one of the internal handles. If You do this like I did tonight you will find that the door will not open.

I don't think the 'Rocket scientists' @ Toyota could have made it any easier.

This 'experiment' would appear to confirm there are no internal sensors, but as long as you don't leave anything of value on display inside your car then this should not be an issue.

Ah, don't get me wrong :huh: but what i mean, is i'm forever pushing the key-flob button, just making sure it's locked, so i must be double locking it anyway and not knowing about it then :lol: and if there were any internal senors, my son would of found that out as he's always locking himself in my car recently due to the warm weather :lol:

Ah, don't get me wrong  :huh:  but what i mean, is i'm forever pushing the key-flob button, just making sure it's locked, so i must be double locking it anyway and not knowing about it then  :lol:  and if there were any internal senors, my son would of found that out as he's always locking himself in my car recently due to the warm weather  :lol:

No problem - Just trust the technology...my wife Jan's MX-5 Phoenix is exactly the same, just two presses (with an indicator flash each time) confirms it is double locked.

Easier of course to check with an MX-5 with the roof down but *EVERY* time I have ever checked it they have both been double locked....

Toyota alarms do have a radar sensor for interior protection. This can be tested by locking yourself in the car by using the remote. Wait at least 30 seconds for the radar sensor to build up its field, then by moving briskly or clapping you should set the alarm off.

I was told by a friend that you can also upgrade your factory fitted alarm. This would give you extras like windows closing when alarm activated, better siren and microwave sensors. This all still works of the original key so you dont have to have an extra fob. I think i will go for this option as it is cost efficient and saves having the extra fob.

I wouldn't mind that sort of bolt on for my car alarm, but will it bring it to a CAT 1 level or help lower my insurance cost :help:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links